• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kamikazeH20mln

Dec 12, 2009
    Ellicott City, MD
    Been looking around for a new .40 cal handgun in sub or near sub compact size, with Ghost sites.

Ones that I have found:
    - Glock 27 40SW
    - Springfield XDm 3.8
    - SIG P229 .40

Shot a glock 22 this weekend at On Target, and had a hell of a time operating the slide lock and the grip kept eating up my hand. :sad20:

Any others I am missing? Any recommendations?

benc4liberty

Freedom4theFreeState
    Jan 17, 2009
    40 cal

I'm partial to the Sigs, but I do like the glock 27, and find it very easy to shoot. The only issue I have with it is when I put a loaded mag in, and then pull the slide back, it's pretty difficult to do. Other than that, it's a nice weapon, but I don't particularly like the glocks because I don't like DAO.

If you like the double action only weapons, go with the glock 27. Personally, I like the SA/DA of the sigs, and the hammer, so I'd go with a sig.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Don't forget FN
    they have the FNP-40
    FNM0057mb.png

and just came out wth the FNX-40

FNM0175mb.png

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    I have two recommendations for you.

The Walther PPS is a great little, thin (.91" wide) gun that's great for CCW use. And it's a .40 S&W carrying 8 rounds with the extended magazine. Only thing is, the PPS is DAO.

My other suggestion is the H&K .40 S&W Compact. This gun is a little larger but it is a SA/DA piece that is also good for CCW use.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have two recommendations for you.

The Walther PPS is a great little, thin (.91" wide) gun that's great for CCW use. And it's a .40 S&W carrying 8 rounds with the extended magazine. Only thing is, the PPS is DAO.

My other suggestion is the H&K .40 S&W Compact. This gun is a little larger but it is a SA/DA piece that is also good for CCW use.

Walthers feel excellent in my hands, haven't even shot my wife's P22 yet, though.

HK USP compact is what I have, chambered in 40. Added the Hogue Hand-All grip and it feels AMAZING (though not quite like my horse). It's a BIT large for me to CCW, but I'm a tall skinny drink of water. :lol2: The SA/DA ability is nice, the decocking lever allows you to keep one in the tube AND the hammer back while leaving the safety on....I LOVE that feature.

I'm a bigger fan of Sig than HK, though. My next handgun will either be a Glock or a Sig, caliber TBD (considering anything from 9mm-.45).

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The trick to the Glock 22 is that you shouldn't need to operate the slide lock. It's also possible that on a rental gun that there is a lot of wear and it's not functioning properly. I personally like the Glock 23 more than the 27. For what it's worth I'm a huge fan of the .40S&W and Glocks but if I wanted a subcompact it would probably be in .45acp where I don't think you'll see as big of a loss in terminal performance due to the loss of velocity. I don't know that for a fact, but it's my hunch.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Stay away from the Beretta Px4 in .40

but take a look at the S&W M&P

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I would suggest the g23. I have shot the g27 and its seems way too small for me. The .40S&W is a snappy round and I have noticed that some people have difficulty with the subcompact .40's. The g23 is small enough for concealed carry, but big enough to still be able to control it.

RK23

Jan 21, 2010
    I like Sig 229 or the HK USP 40 compact, I had a Glock 23 but sold it because it wasn't comfortable for me.

Why not rent them all at the same time and judge for yourself.
    On Target has them all for rent but you need to buy their ammo.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    I love my P226 in 40 no complaints

I rented a few glocks that gave me trigger sting (thanks wlc, i was at a loss as to what to call it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom