Shooting a rifle standing unsupported (rimfire).

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Both the Atglen club in PA and DSA (Delmarva Sportman's Assoc.) in Sudlersville MD host NRA Silhouette matches (offhand shooting at steel animals at 40M/60M/77M/100M). All manner of rifles and pistols, including 22RF.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Does bracing your left (forward hand) elbow against your chest count as offhand? I can shoot fairly accurately that way. May look a bit odd but it works for me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Does bracing your left (forward hand) elbow against your chest count as offhand? I can shoot fairly accurately that way. May look a bit odd but it works for me.
    I do something similar to that but dependent on the rifle, either cup my right hand at balance point or lay my relaxed palm sort of upwards.
    Sling in parade.
    The thumb on your right hand, at the wrist can be used to control balance, recoil and help stabilize your position simultaneously.( non Ar) You can control the muzzle and frame your target with that thumb and breathing.
    The rubber on your left sleeve and coat front help create tension to the back of you bicep arm part with the thumb into your shoulder pocket.
    I picture bones and lines in my mind to the center of my spine where it meets the hips till I get a good hold and then thumb tension at wrist when obtaining natural point of aim. The line from my thumb to my spine and then center center slow the wobble and then hold, squeeze a little more at second stage then bang!
    Call your shot. etc open bolt reach for another round from my belt box and then start over.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have never been questioned on account of it. It does look odd but so what.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have my supporting arm palm up and fingers rotated to the chest and support the rifle that way.

DAVIDMAGNUM

Oct 19, 2007
    Federalsburg
    I shoot lever action silhouette out to 200 meters. Offhand, no scopes, shooting vests, jackets, slings allowed. This is challenging and fun. There are numerous metallic silhouette games for almost any rifle or handgun you may have. I highly recommend it.

Some places in driving distance depending on where you live.

.......and for the silhouette enthusiast, meca
    http://ridgwayrifleclub.com/

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I shoot lever action silhouette out to 200 meters. Offhand, no scopes, shooting vests, jackets, slings allowed. This is challenging and fun. There are numerous metallic silhouette games for almost any rifle or handgun you may have. I highly recommend it.

Some places in driving distance depending on where you live.

.......and for the silhouette enthusiast, meca
    http://ridgwayrifleclub.com/
    Sounds interesting.

I have been to Cavalier several times now. They have a pretty good setup over there.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I went down to a shooting club in Suffolk county Virginia and shot two matches at steel targets. I had a blast shooting standing unsupported. Its a safe bet that I didn't win any matches today. The rifle was the new CZ American 457 left handed bolt action with a 2.5 to 7 power Leupold scope. Its fun.

Attachments

• CZ 457.jpg
      CZ 457.jpg
      190.4 KB · Views: 35
    • Steel range.jpg
      Steel range.jpg
      267.6 KB · Views: 35

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    I went down to a shooting club in Suffolk county Virginia and shot two matches at steel targets. I had a blast shooting standing unsupported. Its a safe bet that I didn't win any matches today. The rifle was the new CZ American 457 left handed bolt action with a 2.5 to 7 power Leupold scope. Its fun.
    VERY nice rifle!

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    VERY nice rifle!
    Its a budget rifle. At one match I noticed three rifles that were the same. I checked one out then and there and thought that they are decent enough for me.
    I expect tighter grouping in the near future using CCI standard velocity match.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    IMO, the problem w/ most standing competition is they allow those stupid crazy thick jackets. They really aren't free handing it. They are just wearing the tripod. It has no relation to real life hunting / shooting. Make everyone shoot in a t-shirt and the discipline might come back into favor.

Biatheletes are bad-ass. There should be more of that.

Just seeing your comment made me laugh. My first ever rifle match I showed up in a t-shirt and shorts. I was using a quilted furniture pad for a matt. I had no idea what the discipline was at all. I started to get a little nervous when everyone else took was taking 10min to get their shooting jackets on. An active member here who had passed away since then, was kind and all too happy to see some new blood I guess, and he gave me a few good pointers.

I shot 88/100 on that first standing string, at 200yds, in my t-shirt.

48b619f06d1fa7abe3eb01f83bfdaab0.jpg

I did eventually buy a leather shooting jacket from another formerly active member here. It does make a difference, as you say, creating a Human Tripod. He too passed away, and I while I haven’t done an NRA style of match in a few years, I don’t want to give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Try muzzleloading competition. We shoot offhand...and normally without the support jackets.
    This!
    Shooting in the NSSA all the shooting is done offhand, no support jackets, with open sights. Not to mention hundreds of people can be shooting at the same exact time so you have all of the noise, yelling and of course the smoke!

I’ve also shot blackpowder cartridge 200 meter “ram bash shoots”. All shooting is offhand, with open sights.

Years ago, the NSSA team I was on was very competitive, and we won several national medals.

Here’s some of my advice to up your offhand shooting game.
    1st, be in good physical condition. It takes Core strength is very important in offhand shooting.

When I was competitive, I would keep a musket in my living room. while watching TV every time a commercial came on I would stand up, pick up my musket and aim at something in the house. It might be a light switch, a dot on the wall, anything. I would hold on the “spot” as long as I could. Keeping doing this until my show came back on. Doing this helped me immensely.

I also tried to shoot a few rounds every week, offhand, with open sights. Doing this with the musket was best, but even shooting a .22 was good as it had my eyes “looking at sights”

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Just seeing your comment made me laugh. My first ever rifle match I showed up in a t-shirt and shorts. I was using a quilted furniture pad for a matt. I had no idea what the discipline was at all. I started to get a little nervous when everyone else took was taking 10min to get their shooting jackets on. An active member here who had passed away since then, was kind and all too happy to see some new blood I guess, and he gave me a few good pointers.

I shot 88/100 on that first standing string, at 200yds, in my t-shirt.

48b619f06d1fa7abe3eb01f83bfdaab0.jpg

I did eventually buy a leather shooting jacket from another formerly active member here. It does make a difference, as you say, creating a Human Tripod. He too passed away, and I while I haven’t done an NRA style of match in a few years, I don’t want to give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice score for starting out back then.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    This!
    Shooting in the NSSA all the shooting is done offhand, no support jackets, with open sights. Not to mention hundreds of people can be shooting at the same exact time so you have all of the noise, yelling and of course the smoke!

I’ve also shot blackpowder cartridge 200 meter “ram bash shoots”. All shooting is offhand, with open sights.

Years ago, the NSSA team I was on was very competitive, and we won several national medals.

Here’s some of my advice to up your offhand shooting game.
    1st, be in good physical condition. It takes Core strength is very important in offhand shooting.

When I was competitive, I would keep a musket in my living room. while watching TV every time a commercial came on I would stand up, pick up my musket and aim at something in the house. It might be a light switch, a dot on the wall, anything. I would hold on the “spot” as long as I could. Keeping doing this until my show came back on. Doing this helped me immensely.

I also tried to shoot a few rounds every week, offhand, with open sights. Doing this with the musket was best, but even shooting a .22 was good as it had my eyes “looking at sights”
    Your story makes me to want purchase a camper van and hit the shooting circuit wherever that may be.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    So today I returned from a steel match shooting 22LR. Shooting at targets anywhere from 40 meters to 100 meters. On the first round I shot a possible 13 out of 50 and on the second round 24 out of 50. I am not winning any awards but had fun.

fogman

Jefferson Sportsman's Association's indoor league is starting 1/10/24. Wednesdays, 2-8pm(last relay 7:45) for the next 11 weeks. .22LR, rifle or pistol, scope or iron sights. Shot at 50' offhand, unsupported. Paper target with chicks, pigs, ducks and rams. $4 per gun.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I just got back from Nansemond Shooting Club down in the Suffolk Virginia area. Had a fun day all around shooting strings of 5 at various targets. I find that once I am in a groove the targets are getting easier to hit. If I move the muzzle of the rifle laterally I have to remember to shift my back foot for a better natural point of aim. I did better this month than I diid the last time I was here.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Was function testing a single-shot Henri Pieper rolling block the other day. Was at an indoor range and sent the target to the back. Not winning any competitions either, but it was satisfying to hit the black while freehanding.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
    Good for you!
    Its not every day you see people shooting unsupported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom