• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gab3

Jun 7, 2012
    Has anyone shipped suppressor a via FedEx or UPS? I am in Kansas but my primary residence is in MD and my suppressors and other firearms are in MD. I was going to get my suppressor and my other firearms shipped to me in KS. Can I ask someone to ship it for me if I do all the ATF paperwork? If so, does the shipper need the ATF paperwork? OR should J simply fly home and fly back with the suppressors as checked baggage?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You can no longer lock checked baggage, unless it is a gun case. Anything else I could say about your dilemma, would be guessing.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'd fly with them if it were me. I think UPS may have reversed their policy but flying with them seems less of a hassle. put in a lockec container inside your checked bag.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I was going to get my suppressor and my other firearms shipped to me in KS

Sounds like he is in KS and wants his suppressors in MD shipped to him.

I'm not sure how this is done, sorry. I believe it is legal for you can ship to yourself, but not if a third party can ship them to you. Interesting dilemma.

I'm interested in the legal options.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, unless you have a trust and the other person in MD is a trustee, how are they supposed to get possession of them to ship them to you?

You might want to review the law on who may have a suppressor in their possession and how you are supposed to store them.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    The easiest and most secure solution is to simply fly with them in checked baggage. It is no big deal. Just show up a bit early to the airport so you have plenty of time to declare your firearms and clear them through security. A rugged lockable and large (small cases can be more easily stolen) case and rugged locks are what you want.

Have flown with silencers/machineguns/SBRs etc. many times this way and never a problem!

Expensive items like firearms, silencers, etc. get stolen on a daily basis by UPS and FedEx personnel. Avoid these methods if you can.

Gab3

Jun 7, 2012
    Thanks for replying so quickly everyone! I think I'm going to simply fly with them. Between the possession laws and risks I would be much more comfortable with them in my possession.

Related question,...So, I have to fill out a 5320 form and get it signed by ATF before I can move the Suppressors. But I haven't bought a flight ticket yet. So with that in mind will ATF approve my form 5320 form if I have a (big) date range for the transit dates?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A 5320.20 is not required to transport a suppressor across state lines.

From NFA Handbook.
    suppressors not included

Section 13.8. Requesting permission to transport certain firearms in interstate or foreign
    commerce. A person, other than an FFL/SOT, may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign
    commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, without
    prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch.
    For definitions of these firearms and
    devices, refer to 27 CFR 478.11. Licensed collectors are not required to obtain such approval if the
    firearms and devices being transported are “curio or relic” firearms under the GCA. Approval for the
    transportation may be obtained by (1) a written request or (2) an approved application filed with ATF on
    Form 5320.20.

Don't forget a copy of your Form 4

Last edited:

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for replying so quickly everyone! I think I'm going to simply fly with them. Between the possession laws and risks I would be much more comfortable with them in my possession.

Related question,...So, I have to fill out a 5320 form and get it signed by ATF before I can move the Suppressors. But I haven't bought a flight ticket yet. So with that in mind will ATF approve my form 5320 form if I have a (big) date range for the transit dates?

Search" Flying Suppressors" I can't load it here but, check it out.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    A 5320.20 is not required to transport a suppressor across state lines. It is the only NFA item that is exempted.

From NFA Handbook.
    suppressors not included

Don't forget a copy of your Form 4

You are partially correct but forgot one other category of NFA firearm for which us non FFL/SOTs do not need to obtain written approval from ATF before moving such items across state lines: AOWs.

So in summary, no ATF Form 5320.20 required for silencers or AOWs.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    True, OP was asking about flying with a suppressor, not an AOW. So I answered his question as accurately as I could in response to his question. But admittedly my statement about a suppressor being the only item being exempt was incorrect.

so I throw myself on the mercy of the court.

IANAL

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom