• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    All:

I need to return a rifle (HBAR AR, not Colt or HBAR stamped) for a warranty repair. I talked to the manufacturer and they said box it an ship it back to them. Is that all? They said I don't need to have an FFL send it to them, and they said I can send UPS ground. Is this right? I asked if I can just send the upper, and they said they require the whole thing.

Do I need to worry about anything? Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Am I needlessly panicking?

Thanks in advance!

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    make sure you break it down to 2 pieces, and if you want to send it USPS registered mail, you have to use their paper tape.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As long as they are an FFL you are fine. And to be in the biz of manufacturing you have to have an FFL, so should be okay. Rifles can still go USPS but not handguns.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Just send it to them, and they will ship it right back to you. No FFL on your side involved. Just make sure is a big company to cover yourself that they are a FFL holder. If not look on the ATF list.

Might want to ask them for a free shipping label, if it is manufacturer defect.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Thanks guys! This is easier than I expected.

Yep, I know they are an FFL.

I asked for a shipping label and was politely denied, heck, in their view, I've sat on this for some time....

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I'd be worried about how you are going to get it back. Does it have to go through an ffl?

A few years back I sent an assortment of FAL rifle parts and a receiver, that I had done the MD paperwork on, to a gunsmith in TX. A few months later UPS delivered a rifle built to my specs. As noted 100% legal.

Make sure you buy enough insurance.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    A few years back I sent an assortment of FAL rifle parts and a receiver, that I had done the MD paperwork on, to a gunsmith in TX. A few months later UPS delivered a rifle built to my specs. As noted 100% legal.

Make sure you buy enough insurance.

Thanks, I forgot about the insurance thing.... I mean, aside from bubble wrap.... :innocent0

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Something else to ask about, does the manufacturer want you to ship the gun in a plain cardboard box or a rifle case? Do they want any accessories included?

One semi custom 1911 builder doesn't want you to ship the gun in the box they ship the gun to the dealer in. Just plenty of bubble wrap and a heavy cardboard box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom