• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Trigger is a piece of cake. Safety is easy.

Charging handle needs to be lefty or ambi, since you have to take the gun much further off your shoulder do and awkward motion with the left wrist to activate. Can't be done fast for 3-gun.

Have to move gun to right hand to lock bolt back. Shells and gas in your face. It's a pain. If I get back into it, it's going to be a lefty set up.

Odds were good the OP wasn't running 3-gun (even w/ explosive growth its still a TINY fraction of shooters.) Yes, If looking for every last fraction of a second running a gun designed for righties (cough, AR, cough) it going to be slower for a leftie. Its a lot easier now-a-days to pick a ambi platform than it was 10yrs ago. 3-gun will present its own challenges to a one-eyed shooter beyond the controls. You're going to have to shoot weak side around a barrier eventually. The race gun is going to have to have some sort of riser/offset so one could shoot either handed w/ the same eye. Im a rightie and can shoot 'ok' left handed w/ my left eye. No way I could use any existing rifle I have and shoot left handed w/ my right eye. ALL the sights are too low.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A shooter at Loch Raven who shot clays right handed right eye dominant for 40 years lost sight in his right eye. He tried all kinds of gizmos, off-set sights, etc. to limited results. He then decided to switch to shooting left handed. After about 9 months he is beating me again. He is 80 couple years old.
    Learn to shoot lefty.

I had a number of friends and students in sporting clays that were left eye dominant, but right handed.

In EVERY case, the shot their first round better left handed than they did right handed. Even though many could barely load the shotgun left handed. :)

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I had a number of friends and students in sporting clays that were left eye dominant, but right handed.

In EVERY case, the shot their first round better left handed than they did right handed. Even though many could barely load the shotgun left handed. :)

Agreed. As a 4-H youth shotgun coach, the first thing we do is identify the child's eye dominance and have them shoot with the dominant eye regardless of their right or left handed ness. Once shooting shotgun based upon eye dominance, they will surpass their old scores usually within the first round. Sometimes I'll have a stubborn kid who doesn't want to switch; "I'm right handed", so I tell them to shoot one round of trap doing it on eye dominance and once they see the improvement in their score, they're a believer. You can train what your hands do a lot easier than training which eye your brain uses to focus.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also with sporting clays, there is a benefit to shooting with the "wrong" hand. It puts your strongest and more dexterous hand on the fore end to swing the shotgun.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Used to shoot trap with an older lady who was right handed but was blind in her right eye. She had an aluminum cantilever mount made for her O/U which pushed a holo sight over to the left so she could shoot right handed/left eyed.

I think I met her at BCGF last sumner. I asked her about the mount. She said she lost sight in her right eye. She did damn well with that setup.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One of the reasons I switched from LH to RH shooting the pistol was because I was one of the 80% of lefties who are right eye dominant. Up till the time I started getting some arthritis in my hands I had no problem. But I sat myself down and decided to look at the issue. My right hand stiffness was noticeably less than my normal dominant left hand. I saw what some Olympic shooters said about switching to my dominant eye side so I took the plunge and went cold turkey right handed. Took about 6 months to actually get to the point my scores were better right handed than they ever were left handed. Always shot the rifle right handed with the correct eye just like my father who taught me. But while shooting 3-gun I found that situation dependent I could switch the long gun to the left and actually use my non-dominant eye to sight-in and shoot, even with the shotgun. Once you switch you can often become more ambidextrous as you go along because it no longer feels strange. Although drawing from the left side does feel weird 4 years after the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom