• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Yes, really.

I have a friend who is right handed, and used to be right eye dominant before he lost his right eye to cancer.

He and his wife are both interested in an AR 15, but have questions about how this would work, particularly for him.

Some thought I had:

-mount an optic on a high mount and hold it as if using canted sights, except he would look through the optic instead.

-Look for a left-canted scope mount

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Have a friend who shoots right handed and I'm pretty certain left eye dominant since he is missing his right eye. He can shoot either handed but prefer right. It looks very uncomfortable to watch him shoot. But let me tell you he rarely misses his target !!

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Mike Pannone lost his right eye to an explosive breaching charge gone wrong while with Delta. It was his dominant eye. He now mounts his optics on a higher riser. I've taken two classes with him and seen him shoot. It works for him, I assure you.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Hickock45 is left eye dominant and shoots with his left eye, right handed. In a previous video he says he shoots long guns with his right eye and handguns with the left but in this one he says left for both

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Used to shoot trap with an older lady who was right handed but was blind in her right eye. She had an aluminum cantilever mount made for her O/U which pushed a holo sight over to the left so she could shoot right handed/left eyed.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah try the long gun left handed. should be able to shoot handguns right handed still, using left eye of course (that's what i do, rightie with handgun but left eye dominant).

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Mike Pannone lost his right eye to an explosive breaching charge gone wrong while with Delta. It was his dominant eye. He now mounts his optics on a higher riser. I've taken two classes with him and seen him shoot. It works for him, I assure you.

Any idea how he holds the rifle, ie, is he holding the rifle canted so the optic is convenient to his left eye?

Knowing this friend, he won't put in the time to truly become proficient as a leftie shooter, so I'm hoping there is a "gear" solution.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Any idea how he holds the rifle, ie, is he holding the rifle canted so the optic is convenient to his left eye?

Knowing this friend, he won't put in the time to truly become proficient as a leftie shooter, so I'm hoping there is a "gear" solution.

I'd love to see a photo of his set-up.

About 3.5 years ago I had an eye-stroke in my right, dominate eye, which is now half blind. My brain immediately moved things to my now dominate left eye and everything is fine for pistols. However, I gave up 3-gun because switching to shooting left hand was such a large obstacle to overcome and become proficient.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    A shooter at Loch Raven who shot clays right handed right eye dominant for 40 years lost sight in his right eye. He tried all kinds of gizmos, off-set sights, etc. to limited results. He then decided to switch to shooting left handed. After about 9 months he is beating me again. He is 80 couple years old.
    Learn to shoot lefty.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Bwahaha teratos!

Shooting a rifle leftie is actually pretty easy. There are no gross motor skills required of the trigger hand. It's just a smooth squeeze which requires no coordination. Give it a try. The pistol would be harder leftie but as has been stated can still shoot that right handed w the left eye. I have a coworker who taught himself to shoot rifles left handed because his right eye is much worse. Picked it up really fast. It's the FAR better long term solution. He can pick up any of my rifles and just go. Not limited to only ones he would have modified had he chosen the other route.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Bwahaha teratos!

Shooting a rifle leftie is actually pretty easy. There are no gross motor skills required of the trigger hand. It's just a smooth squeeze which requires no coordination. Give it a try. The pistol would be harder leftie but as has been stated can still shoot that right handed w the left eye. I have a coworker who taught himself to shoot rifles left handed because his right eye is much worse. Picked it up really fast. It's the FAR better long term solution. He can pick up any of my rifles and just go. Not limited to only ones he would have modified had he chosen the other route.

Trigger is a piece of cake. Safety is easy.

Charging handle needs to be lefty or ambi, since you have to take the gun much further off your shoulder and do an awkward motion with the left wrist to activate. Can't be done fast for 3-gun.

Have to move gun to right hand to lock bolt back. Shells and gas in your face. It's a pain. If I get back into it, it's going to be a lefty set up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom