• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    Modification

1. Clear the handgun, double check. No seriously, putting a loaded gun in a hot oven is probably a bad idea.
    2. Insert CZ P-01 in to Serpa Holster. The fit was quite tight and very difficult to draw
    3. Removed the parts that I didn’t want deformed. Grips, mounting hardware, etc…
    4. I placed the holster and pistol in the oven at 150F on a kitchen towel. This worked, but when it cooled the holster tightened back up again.
    5. I repeated the above at 200F and 250F. I was starting to get nervous at this point
    6. After removing the project from the oven I wrapped it in another kitchen towel and squeezed the slightly flaring mouth to further form the plastic to the gun.

At this point I thought I was done. Upon later inspection I noticed that the locking mechanism wasn’t properly engaging. The take down pin (right side) was pushing out on the holster and changing the angle of engagement for the mechanism.
    Modification Two

1. I used a lighter to heat the holster in the affected area, inserted the pistol, and applied pressure with the towel to form the holster around the pin. A heat gun would probably be more appropriate.
    2. I repeated the above step a second time for the large slide release on the pistol’s left side.

Modified Serpa Holster for CZ P-01

Is it bad mojo to quote myself? also is it against the rules to qoute a whole article that I wrote?....

CSC_0056.jpg

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    They are bad enough from the factory. I cant imagine what a modified one will do. I hope you aren't using this for EDC.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    What do you mean by "bad enough already"? I have heard all of the complaints,but most of them start with "I heard about someone who" or "this trainer doesn't allow them in class because." I have never heard a first hand account of an issue with Serpa's and the people that I know who do use them like them.

But, no it is not my EDC. That would be the MK9 in an MTac as I don't like to always carry openly. With my body and clothes the P-01 is a little large to conceal.

vetts1911

Practical Shooter
    Aug 25, 2008
    Mechanicsville
    If the Serpa wont work out I use a blade tech and it is a great fit.

I always use some armour all on tight holsters that are kydex materials.

Let it soak overnight and put some grease on the metal cause it will rust the hardware up quick.

I hope this works out for you.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    It seems to be working well. I didn't notice the little "retention, belt hooks" that you can adjust at first. Now it is even more secure on the my belt.

Most of the people that I know who actually own them, like them. Thanks for the tip on the Armour All. I don't think it will be necessary. I realized that it is less tight of a fit than my other kydex holsters that rely on tension.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have used a Serpa in competition and have not had a problem with it. I liked it enough to buy another for my fiance. And I'll be getting another for my 1911s. I wish they made one for my Taurus, but that's another issue.

Jim

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    Biggest problem is the mechnisim. I have seen first hand in Iraq, Debris get in there or some sand/dirt and it locks the weapon up. Kinda sucks when you need to draw and its stuck in the holster

Second is where the mechnisim is. More than a few people have shot themself and/or ND beacuse their finger rode the trigger durring a draw. Not everything is well trained and most people in a real SHTF situation are not paying attention to trigger dicipline durring a draw down. There is a reaon most reputable ranged and instructors do not allow this holster. The chance of a ND is too great. There is no point to use this holster when better designs are out there, and cheaper.

Great exampe is http://www.opticsplanet.net/safaril...er-stx-fde-brown-right-hand-6377-283-551.html

30 bucks and amazing quality. I know CZ may be hard to shop for but bladetech or raven can make you one.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    cobra,
    I appreciate the response. I am not planning on being in Iraq any time soon. Sand and dirt also tend to lock up the gun itself. If I think of a way to test this without ruining the guns finish (maybe an airsoft pistol substitute) I will try to test this concern

As for the ND issue; it is a real concern to me, but I don't see how it happens. When I draw from this holster my finger lands on the frame where it is suppose to. I don't think about it being a button, I just draw as I normally would and the "weight" of my finger releases the mechanism. That said; even when I use my finger to "press" the release, my fingers still doesn't enter the trigger guard but lands on the frame. I just don't see how these individuals had ND's as a result of the holster. It just does not seem any different to me than any other holster.

You are absolutely right; the holster options for the CZ are limited. Blade-tech is really the only other comparable option. I would really like a Raven holster, but they do not make one for the P-01; I contacted them about it. I picked up the Serpa used, but you can find them online in the $40 dollar range while the Blade-tech is in the $60 range. I will agree that $20 is nothing considering any safety concern, but at this point I am not personally convinced that there is a safety issue with the Blackhawk Serpa. I will continue to practice drawing with a empty pistol. If any reason to worry develops I will relegate it to range or sell it.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I used a Serpa while I was in iraq and at while I was at fort bliss(also a very sandy environment) and I was impressed with it, very good holster.

I am considering trying out a Safari land as well just because I have heard good reviews on it but I second what Fideo said about everyones complaints starting with "I heard" or that some instructor doesnt allow them in theyre class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom