• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    Again...I'm new to the "gun community" as well as gun shops and ranges so I was wondering if you would render some advice/feedback. I think it's no secret that some of the individuals working at the guns stores & ranges need to work on their people skills.

I was at an indoor range this morning and when I walked in I was asked how I could be helped. I stated "range please"...not really loud and I was ask to repeat myself.....so I trimmed it down to "range" in a polite voice as I had spoken in just a second ago. The response was something like this " OH you want to use the rangggeee...we speak in complete sentences around here." The gun shop person said it at a level the entire shop could hear and basically just tried to make me look stupid. I guess he didn't receive enough attention as a child or didn't make the cut as a LEO somewhere.

His actions really bothered me and I don't take kindly to disrespect...if you're armed you get a pass..and he was...:lol:

I said nothing...handed my ID and went on my way.

My question/s is this....am I being too sensitive and how do you handle unfriendly gun shop/range individuals? How would you have handled this example?
    This is the second time this particular individual has rubbed me the wrong way and he seems to want to out do himself with each visit.

I'm not going to range bash or give the guys name as I don't want any trouble. The range is convenient for me and their are other guys there that I actually like dealing with and I choose to return.

Thanks.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    id personally move on.. and not think about it too much.. why waste your time and energy to stupid people?? i'd just smile (more like smirk) and move on.. and try to avoid talking to the guy.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    There are other ranges and other gun stores. Clearly they don't want your business.

That's what I thought too..but if you don't want civilians in there then post a sign.

That's all I did...just grinned and went and used the range.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    My question/s is this....am I being too sensitive and how do you handle unfriendly gun shop/range individuals? How would you have handled this example?
    This is the second time this particular individual has rubbed me the wrong way and he seems to want to out do himself with each visit.

Yes, you are being overly sensitive.

Sometime, when you go in. Chat with the fella a few minutes, to build a rapore. Sounds like you just need to get to know him a tad better, if you are using his facilities; it makes the times you visit a little easier, once you know the owner's eccentricities and for him your's. It makes the communication flow so much easier.

This applies to anyone whom you do business with.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Why do we all suspect we know where he went? My advice, go elsewhere. There's other ranges in the area.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have no problems bashing someone else. I'm happy to give a good recommendation to anyone for great service, i'm just as quick to tell someone to go give your business to someone else.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    Sorry...I'm not kissing someones a$$ and hand them my money...they can keep the rapport...

LOL joppa...it's not all bad.

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick

Sometime, when you go in. Chat with the fella a few minutes, to build a rapore. Sounds like you just need to get to know him a tad better, if you are using his facilities; it makes the times you visit a little easier, once you know the owner's eccentricities and for him your's. It makes the communication flow so much easier.

Why should he have to suck up to a guy that he is trying to pay for a service? If anything it should be the other way around. He was polite, and had what he needed (id/money), what else should he be expected to do?

I'll leave a small margin of error in case this is just this guys sense of humor (my humor can borders on verbal abuse at times), but if he has rubbed you wrong a few times, this is likely not the case.

I would tell the owner that this particular employee is about to cost the range your patronage, and tell him why. You are not being oversensitive, there is no reason you should have to tolerate being disrespected. If that fails, it seems some guys on here could recommend a more customer friendly range.

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    That's what I thought too..but if you don't want civilians in there then post a sign.

That's all I did...just grinned and went and used the range.

Yeah. I did that for a while, but eventually I couldn't take it any more. Shooting is my time and I want it to be an enjoyable experience. It is too expensive a hobby for any part of it to be unpleasant.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Everyone has at sometime has crossed that bridge before. Don't let it bother you as it will screw up your sight picture.

or be creative and imagine this guy's face on a B27 target. If that does not improve your shooting skills, I don not know what will.

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD

Wow ... i couldn't disagree with you anymore. No offense.

I don't think I should have to 'Chat with a fella..' to get polite service anywhere. Sounds like he was completely pleasant towards the guy at the counter and that same manner should be returned. IMHO this good ol' boy frat house attitude is what turns off a TON of people from the shooting sports. Its the same type of BS that my wife gets every time we go shooting somewhere together. There's always some 'dude' who wants to act like he's big man on campus walking up to her like she is some kinda timid amateur shooter. Happened recently at Hap when some goofball made a comment to her 'looks like they're starting you off with the big guns'.... not realizing that she just pegged three bulleye's at 100yds with my R700 in .308. She's been shooting since she was 6 and did competitions when she was a teenager. :sad20:

I say vote with your dollars and go elsewhere.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Why should he have to suck up to a guy that he is trying to pay for a service? If anything it should be the other way around. He was polite, and had what he needed (id/money), what else should he be expected to do?

I'll leave a small margin of error in case this is just this guys sense of humor (my humor can borders on verbal abuse at times), but if he has rubbed you wrong a few times, this is likely not the case.

I would tell the owner that this particular employee is about to cost the range your patronage, and tell him why. You are not being oversensitive, there is no reason you should have to tolerate being disrespected. If that fails, it seems some guys on here could recommend a more customer friendly range.

I didn't say kiss the man's a$$, as a new person going into a business, it's easy to start off on the wrong foot. Stepping back and examining what is bothering you isn't a bad idea.

It's up to the person to decide, whether they want to spend their money at that establishment than b1tch to others.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I probably would have smiled and said "no need to be a douchebag, but thanks"

If he didn't know you, he shouldn't have expected that particular brand of humor would be funny to a stranger.

You can either brush it off and give them a second chance or call them and ask for an owner or manager and tell them why you won't be back.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    I don't know about him but I'm half deaf so I have to talk loud so people can hear me.

That's a good point to keep in mind for future visits. Thanks.

It was Continental Arms in Timonium....like I said..not all bad. I actually don't want to add to any other ranges reputation based on speculation.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    There was a time when the customer was always right.... As stated above, vote with your dollars. There are too many good firearms related buisnesses out there to bother with one as described here..

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It was Continental Arms in Timonium....like I said..not all bad. I actually don't want to add to any other ranges reputation based on speculation.

Ok, Zoo and I were wrong. Continental has been responsive before to complaints about staff and we actually have a few of thier employees amongst our members here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom