Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Won't help us as it's written, correct?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Won't help us as it's written, correct?

i wouldnt be so sure. imagine the polyticks that would result if virginians and pa residents could carry concealed in our md streets but md residents still can't. i could see this having a large impact....either that or they'd change state laws to say you can't carry if a church or school is within th maximum range of your firearm or some dumb bs like that..

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    HR218

i wouldnt be so sure. imagine the polyticks that would result if virginians and pa residents could carry concealed in our md streets but md residents still can't. i could see this having a large impact....either that or they'd change state laws to say you can't carry if a church or school is within th maximum range of your firearm or some dumb bs like that..

A retired New Jersey goon can vacation armed in Ocean City under HR218, but Maryland residents can't.

I admonished the Party and Ehrlich in this letter:

My Response to the Maryland Republican Party Request for Additional Financial Contributions

As a senior citizen, there is NOTHING more important at this juncture of life than having the ability to protect myself and family. Every day we fall prey to the criminal element while our elected officials continue to pledge corrective action at some future date.

Governor Ehrlich pledged on the airways to review all gun laws and get rid of those that didn’t cut the muster. After three years, where are the results of that promise?

Certainly in the last three years, the Governor and his appointed Superintendent of State Police, could have addressed the procedures for issuing a handgun permit so that any resident would be eligible to apply for and receive one, absent a criminal record, mental health issue or other lawful prohibition against gun ownership.

As indicated in this recent missive to Governor Ehrlich, it is particularly galling for the State to bless concealed carry by out-of-state retired cops while refusing that right to folks who live here.

Dear Governor:

As a Republican licensed to carry a concealed handgun in 34 states, it was disappointing to see how enthusiastically you endorsed HR218 while continuing to ignore the pleas of Maryland residents who seek the right of self-protection.

While HR218 allows retired peace officers to carry concealed nationwide, keep in mind that these people are now "civilians" with no police power. They should have no more (or less) right to protect themselves and their family than an ordinary person like me.

Yet, I cannot obtain a Maryland carry permit because I spent thirty-eight years protecting this country at the Pentagon instead of fifteen years in a police capacity; because I'm not a money-carrying merchant; and because as of today I haven't been threatened, attacked or otherwise maimed.

In joining Arizona and Idaho, Maryland becomes the third state to have implemented the federal law. I can lawfully carry in the first two...why deny me the right in my home state?

I look forward to your response.

I will resume contributing to the GOP when my home state affords citizens the right of self-protection.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Lest someone think I'm anti-police, I dumped a LOT of money into the LEAA effort to get HR218 passed. I also put a LOT of stock in their pledge to then work for the civilians. So, far, nada!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Well I think that any gun law that expands rights is good for the greater good.

I agree, it won't help but a select few Marylanders. Those being the ones who live near the PA, WV, and VA state lines. They could simply move down the street and across the line, and get a permit.

It would also have a strange boom for college students over 21 who have parents who live out of state.

If this passes, I would expect to see a huge spike in the number of PA and VA driver's licenses issued.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I hope it passes, I have made a couple calls and plan on sending a few letters in support of it. Outside of the fact that it would benefit me greatly, I think it would put substantial pressure on the general assembly in MD to pass "shall issue" legislation, and would provide a huge base of statistical information and news stories to get a large portion of the population behind shall issue in MD. It would also help nationally, concealed carry has perhaps the most statistical data supporting it, and blue dog dems for it of any category of pro-gun legislation, as it has swept through all but a handful of states, and it would be hard for congressfolks to justify a "neigh" vote, or Obama to justify a veto, it could also serve as a way to wake up all those pro gun dems who voted for Obama beliving he was "for" gun rights. Also with the fear of 4 years worth of battling gun bans. It als would be nice to go on the offensive with all the fear of having to battle AWBs and so on from the current leadership, as they say, if we can keep them on the defensive as long as possible it would be harder for them to mount an offense aggainst us. It would also be kick ass to be able to carry in 48 states:innocent0

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The bill is in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Our own Senator Cardin is on it so our state is being represented by someone who doesn't agree with what the citizens want. He'll probably add an amendment to leave MD out out of it. Also, there are 11 Democrats and 7 Republicans on the committee. And, even if it does pass both houses, what are the chances the president won't veto it? This has less of a chance of making it to law than the reparations bill HR40.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    wow i hope this thing actually has a chance

Ditto, like said it would clearly discriminate against MD citizens rights vs. out of state permit holders. Would possibly be a good argument for us to finally become a shall issue state. Not sure if that would effect us positively or them negatively though when it gets sorted out.

Either way it would be a good thing overall for those that have their freedoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom