• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    I have about 20+ firearms to sell and don't want to hassle with running to the dealer or barracks with each one. Could I get a quick education on how consignment works?

Mostly some milsurp, couple old ,22s(nothing collector), and shotguns.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Last I did it, you tell the dealer the price you're willing to sell it and discuss the percentage the store will take. I expect the more guns you give them, the more you may be able to negotiate their take.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Worth shopping around. Some dealers take a larger percent than others. Some dealers will actively market your stuff, others won't.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Worth shopping around. Some dealers take a larger percent than others. Some dealers will actively market your stuff, others won't.

And some have a reputation / steady clientele for particular flavors of firearms , and can move them quickly .

OP , where do you live / willing to travel for this consignment ? I might have a sugguestion for a good fit , in SoMd .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Pretty sure your local (whatever) dealer signs them into his A&D logbook, and both settle on percentage of sales

He/She sells them and you get your cut
    This. The other thing I would recommend is not just taking the dealer's price recommendation at face value. There have definitely been times where I felt like I knew better and I was right. They are going to be motivated to move things faster since they're only getting 10-20% of the cut, which means cheaper. Sort of the same thing as realtors.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And Dealers will have horror stories about consignment guns gathering dust , with seller set unrealistic prices too .

You're paying for the dealers knowledge , and reputation for fair dealing .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    And Dealers will have horror stories about consignment guns gathering dust , with seller set unrealistic prices too .

You're paying for the dealers knowledge , and reputation for fair dealing .
    Fair dealing and knowledge doesn't mean "never wrong". Again: their incentives are not 100% aligned with yours, and they will bias pricing accordingly. Behaving as if this is not the case makes no sense.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    About three years ago I sold a few batches of various shotguns, 22 cal rifles and a few military rifles. Their consignment is completely different then the ones above. They asked me what I wanted for each individual ones and I told them. After leaving he would clean and catalogue and the add his price to mine. It was not a percentage but like, $50. $80, $150, $200 or whatever. Thing is they sold every one and quick

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You don't need to run to MSP a bunch if you say the transfer needs to be done at an FFL. They hold the gun during the 7 day wait. Tyler Firearms is my go to as they're super cheap

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    For MILSURP? I'd put them on GunBroker, if you have an account and a track record.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    About three years ago I sold a few batches of various shotguns, 22 cal rifles and a few military rifles. Their consignment is completely different then the ones above. They asked me what I wanted for each individual ones and I told them. After leaving he would clean and catalogue and the add his price to mine. It was not a percentage but like, $50. $80, $150, $200 or whatever. Thing is they sold every one and quick
    That sounds ideal. As long as you have reasonable expectations and the dealer knows what he is hold in his hands, I wouldn't care what the dealer makes on the deal. As long as the gun sells, everyone is happy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

That is a thing also , but much less common .

No disrespect to your FFL , but this method is potentially a lot sketchier .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom