• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonBrizzel

Mar 11, 2010
    Hello again all, after my last thread, it got me to thinking that maybe I should post another thread.

I would like to eventually one day take some classes with my AR, a CQB class, maybe even further, who knows. For now, though, not really possible.

Because of this, I try to self train with my rifle when possible (so far only one weekend in PA), but I have no idea if I am doing it right or now. I also have no idea if what I am doing is worthless and I should be focusing on other more important things.

What I am wondering is if there are any things, besides throwing ammo down range, that I should be focusing on when I practice? I am talking about situational stuff, certain techniques, etc... Are there any certain stances or drills that I should do hundreds of times to get the muscle memory down?

Thanks in advance!
    DJ

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Buy some videos, either clint smith's (thunder ranch) or magpul dynamics. There are youtube trailers for them and you can decide which one feels more comfortable to you. Buy them (clandestine at scotts gunsmithing has the magpuls and perhaps the clint smith) so you can at least get in the ballpark. But really, you need to end up training with someone who can correct the mistakes you aren't noticing.

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    I know the more experienced members have more to add, but one thing that really helps me is having my kit on and indexing the mags while watching TV or something. I'll have a couple of mags w/ snap caps in and an unloaded rifle, and I'll practice popping a new mag in over and over again until it's automatic...

Hope this helps

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I would find a class and sign up....shooting is a skill that needs close instruction. Its not like learning to put a bike together or something
    I'd agree. Your money is much better spent on getting some good help than it is burning up ammo in incorrect practice. Even one good instruction session can help you avoid wasting time and energy at best, and avoid ingraining bad and potentially dangerous habits that, should you survive, you'll eventually have to try to unlearn at worst.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Buy some videos, either clint smith's (thunder ranch) or magpul dynamics. There are youtube trailers for them and you can decide which one feels more comfortable to you. Buy them (clandestine at scotts gunsmithing has the magpuls and perhaps the clint smith) so you can at least get in the ballpark. But really, you need to end up training with someone who can correct the mistakes you aren't noticing.

was just up at Scott's Gunsmithing today. They have the Magpul Videos to rent, very reasonable. While I agree that there's nothing like live training/coaching, I also know that you can only do what you can do.

sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    Take a class

At $ .50/round 100 rounds is $50.

You will get so much more out of a class.

Go to the NRA web site, they list classes all over- taught by NRA Certified instructors.

Alternatively, join a gun club. Most have good people who will be more than glad to help you get better.

Remember- if it takes 100 repititions to get it right, it will take 1000 to UNLEARN A BAD HABIT.

I shot for years until I was forced (by an instructor) to shoot left handed when I am right handed. Turns out I am left eye dominant. My very first target was 20% better!!!

You cannot do the basics alone, it needs help.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Great question . .

After you take a class, or maybe watch some of the videos to get an idea of what these are, you can practice these at home (in no particular order):

1) immediate action drills (when/if the gun doesn't go "bang")
    2) reloads from mag pouch/back pocket
    3) ready positions and transitioning into aim at target/safety off/dry-fire
    4) correct trigger finger placement and dry fire (this includes getting into the correct rifle-gunfighting stance)
    5) transitioning to pistol
    6) putting the safety back on

pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    Contact this guy. I bought my AR from him. Never trained with him but he's a real nice guy and seems very knowledgable. He's Army special forces I think. He works at Duffy's gun room in Sparks, Md.

www.shotsfiredonline.com

He's a member of this forum also, goes by shotsfired I think. His name is Ron. Look him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom