• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: to Celtic159

Unfortunately in this country, there's too few people who understand this concept. Instead of No Smoking Laws, there should be CHOICES; perhaps I'll open a business (restaurant, bar, etc) that caters to smokers and see how the free market does. That way, smokers can come to my business and non-smokers can go elsewhere. Very simple except for the non-smokers who insist on coming to my business, so they get a law passed making all business non-smoking. WE LET THEM DO IT! That is how freedoms and rights disappear, a little bit at a time.

I respect this pharmacist for what he did--he made a choice, a personal decision and stuck by it, probably knowing that it violated his company policy. He did what he felt was best and it proved to be so. American's (that's all of us collectively) have become so litiginous that most every company and organization has some similar policy about weapons in place. Not necessarily from an anti-weapons or anti-self protection standpoint, but from a liability concern. In this case, Walgreen's took the additional step of firing the employee when they probably had the option to avoid firing by 'counselling' the individual regarding the companies policies. Then Walgreen's could have looked proactive, the pharmacist could continue to make his decisions regarding concealed carry at work and the world would have been a better place for it.

I would encourage everyone to continue to let Walgreen's know how they feel about self-protection and the data that supports weapons carry by law-abiding citizens. I boycott businesses and organizations that actively are anti-2A/anti-gun so when I see sign in the windows that state 'no firearms' or similar then those businesses are non-existant to me. I understand they all need company policies for self-protection, but that doesn't mean I should lose my ability for self-protection.

As I've said, I think the Walgreens policy is ill-advised, but it is absolutely their right to decide what goes on in their stores.[/

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Unfortunately, I don't think he has a leg to stand on with the lawsuit. We do a lot of talking about Rights here. Walgreen's, as a business, has a right to have anti-gun policies if they so choose. Thus, they have the right to terminate employees who violate them. I think the pharmacist did nothing improper outside of his violation of company policy. We should respond by exercising our right to go to a different pharmacy.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    They talked about this story on Good Morning America this morning. It was pretty amazing. They actually seem shocked that this guy was "fired instead of being called a hero". They walked through the events of the night, and also mentioned that the guy had a permit to carry the weapon. There was not a single hint of "gun nut" or shock as to how a "regular guy" could have had a permit.

Then they had their legal analyst talk about the case. Walgreens is stating two points: that they had a "no weapons" policy, and that they had a "no escalation" policy in effect at the time of the incident.

The legal analyst actually said "Look, maybe they had a "no weapons" policy. And if they can show they applied it consistently they can probably win this case. BUT, even if they had that policy, I can't understand why they chose to use it against this guy, for this incident".

They seemed almost stupefied that Walgreens would have fired this guy. What was so awesome about this was that the fact that a regular person defended their life (and others) with a handgun was so normal.... :thumbsup:

We're making progress!!

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I also wrote to Walgreens yesterday about this incident and got the same exact word for word response shown by Bikebreath in post 18.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    They talked about this story on Good Morning America this morning. It was pretty amazing. They actually seem shocked that this guy was "fired instead of being called a hero". They walked through the events of the night, and also mentioned that the guy had a permit to carry the weapon. There was not a single hint of "gun nut" or shock as to how a "regular guy" could have had a permit.

Then they had their legal analyst talk about the case. Walgreens is stating two points: that they had a "no weapons" policy, and that they had a "no escalation" policy in effect at the time of the incident.

The legal analyst actually said "Look, maybe they had a "no weapons" policy. And if they can show they applied it consistently they can probably win this case. BUT, even if they had that policy, I can't understand why they chose to use it against this guy, for this incident".

They seemed almost stupefied that Walgreens would have fired this guy. What was so awesome about this was that the fact that a regular person defended their life (and others) with a handgun was so normal.... :thumbsup:

We're making progress!!

I saw this on the local D.C. news station (channel 4) yesterday afternoon and they embraced it the same way. Actually had a regular Joe carrying a concealed weapon in a good light. I was shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom