• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    My friend just approached me about starting a small security patrol branch off of his landscaping/maintnence company. he works for a few shopping centers and malls and they have asked him if he could start offering patrol services. we are just starting to figure out the logistics, and if all goes well we will need some security gaurds. is anybody interested in some night work? the hours are 6-11 in the summer and 5-10 in the winter. if anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me. the jobs would be in the pg county and owings mills area.

thanks!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you plan on getting armed officers you better have a pretty penny set aside of insurance.

Even unarmed security needs to be licensed by the state and insurance can be fairly high.

Good luck...just do your research before hiring people to stroll around the parking lot. A lot of liability.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    If you plan on getting armed officers you better have a pretty penny set aside of insurance.

Even unarmed security needs to be licensed by the state and insurance can be fairly high.

Good luck...just do your research before hiring people to stroll around the parking lot. A lot of liability.

thanks for the tip. as i said we are still in the planning process. we are also looking for patrol type security guards, so it would be unarmed.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Insurance is a scam when it comes to security. I used to install alarm systems. After some change in regulation about 5-10 years ago, my minimum insurance premium was going to be $10k a year. I stopped installing systems. The reason behind all of this was that people were suing installers for false alarms and no response. There were even documented cases where the person sued because the police weren't notified-they admitted to never setting the alarm. Insurance premiums were basically coving legal fees.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012

This !!

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    Get your ducks in a row, then ask for workers. Put your horse before the cart.

i know but we need to put in a proposal in order to get the contract so were trying to line as much up as we can before then. so if we have a few people who are interested it just makes things easier.

GRAA_MD

May 5, 2013
    My friend just approached me about starting a small security patrol branch off of his landscaping/maintnence company. he works for a few shopping centers and malls and they have asked him if he could start offering patrol services. we are just starting to figure out the logistics, and if all goes well we will need some security gaurds. is anybody interested in some night work? the hours are 6-11 in the summer and 5-10 in the winter. if anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me. the jobs would be in the pg county and owings mills area.

thanks!
    Running a patrol / security service is relatively simple, but setting up your firm for compliance with Maryland State Police standards and regs can be a challenge.

I'd be happy to help you set up the system, and begin the permit process.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    DONT do it man its a trap . Security is one of the most unstable businesses for not only the employee but the for the employer as well. The whole warm body thing has been done to death and anyone looking for real security is either training in house or is hiring off duty police . You will never get spec ops on a salvation army budget. Your never going to be able to keep good employees as they will either become police, burn out and quit or they will retire . Most will do just enough to not get fired and keep it moving . Here is how security works in the DMV area: Sales man gets big client and does a huge hiring blitz and cherry picks guards from other sites to impress new client . New guards are placed on site with no training and issued a shirt that is 3 sizes too big and pants that are 6 inches short to fend for themselves . Smaller client replaces security company with another company for less cost then begins the firing process . There is nothing stable about contract security and for who your going to get to join your ranks are either desperate or have a supercop fantasy neither of them who are going to be worth a damn . You will get what you pay for pure and simple . I will not pay for my own drug test , uniforms and I am not going to be driven all over the world for peanuts nor will I live out of my car for weeks on end. No real person should have to go thru this nor should it be expected.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    DONT do it man its a trap . Security is one of the most unstable businesses for not only the employee but the for the employer as well. The whole warm body thing has been done to death and anyone looking for real security is either training in house or is hiring off duty police . You will never get spec ops on a salvation army budget. Your never going to be able to keep good employees as they will either become police, burn out and quit or they will retire . Most will do just enough to not get fired and keep it moving . Here is how security works in the DMV area: Sales man gets big client and does a huge hiring blitz and cherry picks guards from other sites to impress new client . New guards are placed on site with no training and issued a shirt that is 3 sizes too big and pants that are 6 inches short to fend for themselves . Smaller client replaces security company with another company for less cost then begins the firing process . There is nothing stable about contract security and for who your going to get to join your ranks are either desperate or have a supercop fantasy neither of them who are going to be worth a damn . You will get what you pay for pure and simple . I will not pay for my own drug test , uniforms and I am not going to be driven all over the world for peanuts nor will I live out of my car for weeks on end. No real person should have to go thru this nor should it be expected.

wow. thats some reality checking right there. i guess my thought was to try to stay small, three or four contracts with the same amount of men. they had off duty police but they want to fire them because they arent as active in the centers. my plan was to figure out a way to moniter them to make sure they get around and hopefully that would get them to keep our contract. i didnt realize the business was so volatile.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Unless you are police it's very hard to get good quality armed security.

Even armed security liscenced via MSP is either A) Not cheap B) Not worth hiring. No real middle of the ground.

Off Duty Police are usually easy to get...keeping them in line is another thing. It's even harder if you dont personally know them or have worked with them. Off Duty rates vary but you likely wont touch them for less then 20-25 a hour on the cheap side all the way up to 35-50 pending on many variables.

If they just want someone to drive around with a bubble light on their car and a door magnet....there are plenty of them out there...just hard to find insurance and qualified/reliable people for the pay the job offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom