• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I picked up this old beat up Sears 20ga SxS a few months ago. I I thought that it looked very broken and unfinished. It functioned well and I was up for a project. Here is the gun as I bought it:
    IMG_1927_zps145a9b59.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    the stock was broken. the entire gun has a lot of rust and it was very scratched. the fore grip was just a squared block of wood. Again, it was ugly but it worked. I took it on a hunting trip and liked the way it shot. I decided to have a little fun with it. This weekend I went to work. I reshaped the fore grip. I modeled it after the makers (Savage) standard designs. I repaired the stock. it had a large crack in it when I bought it. I re-stained the stock as well. after some final sanding and some tru-oil. Here is the Sears side by side:
    IMG_21441_zps0368a4d0.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_21451_zpsbbfe84ff.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_21461_zps9f316288.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    If the rust gets any worse, im going to coat the barrel and action with a semi-gloss black.

Last edited:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Is yours marked J.C. Higgins Model 101.7? I have a 12 gauge that I picked up with a seriously cracked stock. The 101.7 was Sears' in-house name for a Savage Model 311. These shotguns were durable and functional, but most shotguns aficionados don't consider them very attractive or collectible.

My original intention was to repair it for Cowboy Action Shooting. I picked up a replacement buttstock and fore-end from Brownells. The stock went on nicely, but the fore-end was inlet for a different style locking mechanism, so that took some work to fit. I also finished mine with TruOil, ending up with a nice soft sheen.

Like yours, mine has very long barrels, choked full and full. Even though it would be much handier for Cowboy with shorter barrels, I haven't been able to bring myself to chop them down to about 20 inches. I've used it, as is, without any other issue than being a little ungainly due to the extra barrel length.

JoeR

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Is yours marked J.C. Higgins Model 101.7? I have a 12 gauge that I picked up with a seriously cracked stock. The 101.7 was Sears' in-house name for a Savage Model 311. These shotguns were durable and functional, but most shotguns aficionados don't consider them very attractive or collectible.

My original intention was to repair it for Cowboy Action Shooting. I picked up a replacement buttstock and fore-end from Brownells. The stock went on nicely, but the fore-end was inlet for a different style locking mechanism, so that took some work to fit. I also finished mine with TruOil, ending up with a nice soft sheen.

Like yours, mine has very long barrels, choked full and full. Even though it would be much handier for Cowboy with shorter barrels, I haven't been able to bring myself to chop them down to about 20 inches. I've used it, as is, without any other issue than being a little ungainly due to the extra barrel length.

JoeR

this is a renamed Savage 311, it has 28" barrels. the right barrel is stamped "1X and the left side is marked "7X". may be a mod and a full?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hey , you like the green , so good for you.

But you teased us , I was expecting an SBS ( Short Bbl Shotgungun) vs a S x S .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom