• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    So I've got a round or two of ammo lying around because they've managed to get a deep enough scratch that you can feel it on the casing or have been dented a tiny bit by a magazine lip.

Am I being over cautious not using these rounds because of their condition?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    So I've got a round or two of ammo lying around because they've managed to get a deep enough scratch that you can feel it on the casing or have been dented a tiny bit by a magazine lip.

Am I being over cautious not using these rounds because of their condition?

Yes.

Unless it's really bad, or you're using it for accuracy work, don't sweat the small stuff. Blasting ammo is blasting ammo.

Inspect the cases and use your better judgement. The small dings will come out in the wash during the next firing.

If the scratch is superficial, no problem. Gouges warrant more concern.

If you're still not sure or it's on the line of being OK or not, toss it. They'll make more.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    If you can post pics, let's see them. From your description, I think you can probably shoot them. I had a .22 LR with a big enough dent in the case that it took effort to push it into a revolver cylinder. It went *bang* just fine.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    If you can post pics, let's see them. From your description, I think you can probably shoot them. I had a .22 LR with a big enough dent in the case that it took effort to push it into a revolver cylinder. It went *bang* just fine.

Now Guy-- at three cents a round why would you try that?????? You're not that cheap are you??:lol2:

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    I'll try to find my camera and post pictures.

I've done it to both handgun and rifle ammo, I just really don't want a casing to rupture on me.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    Meh never mind, camera doesn't have the resolution to make out the defects. Guess I'm just gonna go on the safe side and keep them as desk decorations, oh well.

Thanks for the help anyways guys :thumbsup:

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I dont think any single cartridge, no matter how expensive, is worth the price and permanent disfugurment of a exploding gun.

Neither do I, but at the same time I'm aware that case failure in a handgun round is only very rarely a problem, and when it is, it's even more rarely dangerous. I've had cases split from rim to base without even causing a noticeable difference in operation.

Modern handguns, i.e., those made since the introduction of nitro-based powders, are always a lot stronger than they need to be to handle ammunition loaded to pressures within their design range. I'd be much more likely to discard or recycle a cartridge that has the bullet pushed back into the case than one that has a dent, gouge or small split in it. It's all about pressure, and standard handgun cartridges just don't produce enough to be worrisome.

Rifles are, of course, a different story. I've fired exactly five high-power rifle rounds in my life and what I know about rifle cartridge pressures is theory (as opposed to the practical experience I have with many kinds of handgun rounds), but the theory tells me that while rifle cartridges can take a lot of abuse and still work fine, under the right conditions they can produce pressures that will turn fine steel into Silly Putty and otherwise just ruin your whole day.

So, I agree about avoiding damaged rifle cartridges, but as long as a handgun cartridge fits in the chamber, hasn't lost any charge, and isn't likely to produce a lot more pressure than it's designed for, then I'll most likely shoot it.

FI56X45

Sep 7, 2011
    CA
    i get few of those everytime i order ammo in bulks . it comes in a ammo can , i always thought its normal . but i have never found on ammo that comes in box of 20 stacked nicely

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    I've had .38 spcl. cases split on firing with no issues to gun, me or the target-cept the hole it made.(target)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom