• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Looking for info. and recommendations for a decent scout scope. I've read what I can about the usual suspects (Leupold fixed & variable, Burris & Weaver) but would appreciate current real-world thoughts from the MDS community.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    I'd say Leupold or US-made Burris would be good options. Just check the eye relief distance before you order it, if you can't see the reticle clearly there's no reason to mount it.

An Aimpoint would be an excellent choice for a non-powered optic.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Ruger GSR.

Those rifles are horrible , just send it to me Ill dispose of it for you :innocent0

Seriously though ...For non magnification I would go with the Aimpoint with a 2MOA dot . As far as magnification , I cant help you there I have not really messed with them .

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county
    My brother in law has a Leupold mounted on a Savage scout and I am impressed with it. He ordered it with a thick reticle and it is real easy to see. I would imagine it would make a nice hunting gun.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    My brother in law has a Leupold mounted on a Savage scout and I am impressed with it. He ordered it with a thick reticle and it is real easy to see. I would imagine it would make a nice hunting gun.

Is it the fixed or variable? Curious about your thoughts either way.

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county
    I am pretty sure it is a fixed 4x. I will double check with him.

Up until that point, I had never held a scout rifle. Keeping both eyes open while still looking through the scope was a real treat. If you were hunting, this can have advantages. No tunnel vision. I would think one could track a critter very easily with the field of view available. He had no problem hittting a torso sized target at 300 yds (308 cal). If you were looking for a paper puncher, then the thick reticle probably won't allow precise shooting (covers the target).

Is it the fixed or variable? Curious about your thoughts either way.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Does any one make variable magnification scout scopes? I figure that would be handy for two-eyes open (low/no magnification) shots or more traditional one-eye open (higher magnification, 4x or so) if you were lining up a more precise shot.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I have a Leupold VX-1 1x4 20MM with heavy duplex rectile on my Ruger mini-14. I like the setup, fast target aquistion 1X1 and magnification 4x helps the old eyes when needed. It's a newer mini-14 and with this setup very accurate out to 100yds. I think it is marketed as shotgun scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom