• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have done a search and while I can find plenty on Eotech vs. Aimpoint I can find anything recent on suggestions for a good scope.

I am looking for something for a Remington 700 in .308.
    I most likely will not be shooting past 300 yards.

I would like to stay under $500.
    I am looking for a variable power scope that is nice and bright.

For comparison purposes... I have a Nikon Buckmaster on an AR witha 20" heavy barrel that is good but has a minor issue the eye relief.

This gun will be used for bench target shooting almost exclusively.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    are you looking in the 2-10 3-12 range of magnification?

Basically the more maginification the better for me...
    That said, I understand there is a trade off with quality and other issues as maginfication increases with out increasing price.

I am open to any and all opportunities that present value.

Chris

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    I have Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm on my Remington 700, very happy. Street price is less than $300.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I have Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm on my Remington 700, very happy. Street price is less than $300.

I second this one. I own 3 VxII in 3-9 40mm. They are good scopes, and backed up Leupolds lifetime warranty.

I dumped a Whitetail at 300 yards with 30-06 without an issue using a VXII on a Rem 700. One shot, it fell like a toilet seat.

That being said - they are on hunting rifles (one on a muzzleloader). It really depends on your usage. For Deer Hunting - you dont usally have time to fumble on a Paralax adjustment, or turret clicking.A scope without too much magnification is a little easier to aquire a target especially if it is moving. Varmint / Groundhog/ longrange target on the otherhand, you usally can get away with higher Magnification.

Bushnell is not bad for the money depending on which series you buy - they back up there scopes with a lifetime warrenty. The Elite scopes are supposed to be very good.

Look into Leupolds mounting hardware for your 700. There are rock solid, never had one loosen up, and its keeps zero. Buy a 1 inch Diameter dowel rod, fasten your scope caps with the rings, around the dowel rod, and turn the rings with the dowel to line up the caps. You dont have to use the Leupold wrench!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Guys, keep the advice coming!
    I like getting the addition views and suggestions.

One thing with the 3x9... I am concerned that the magnification will not be enough for target shooting. For Hunting it would be fine.
    I am trying to get bullets to go on top of one another.

Thoughts?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    last scope i bought was a centerpoint....4X16X42 I have it on my AR10...the scope is limited with whatever ammo you use...I had it on my .223 and was shooting 3/4 to 1inch group at 100yds...with walmart remington ammo...and its a cheap priced scope. red/green illumination

One thing with the 3x9... I am concerned that the magnification will not be enough for target shooting. For Hunting it would be fine.
    I use a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 for target shooting. It's plenty bright, but that makes little difference in daylight. That's too much magnification for hunting.

For hunting I have two Leupold VX-3 2-8x36 and one 4-10x40. I can see clearly well after it's too dark for my bare eyes, or even through my Nikon binoculars.

I have a Leupold VX-2 3-9x and a 2-7x for rimfire. That a good balance for me on a rimfire.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, right in your price range, better glass than the Buckmaster.

I think sub-$500, I would pick this scope again.

Mark

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    It also depends on what size targets you plan on shooting at 300 yards. Your best bet may be to visit a Sports Shop, that has a bunch of scopes, and look through them yourself, and see what feels, and looks best to you with your eyes. If you find something you like, and dont like the price - you can always order one from Midway etc. They have a pretty large scope selection.

Do you plan on mostly shooting paper targets - bench rested, or plan on taking it in the field, and shooting it ? If you plan on offhand shooting it - very high magnicification is hard to steady that way.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee

Thoughts?

You don't need magnification for this. Stacking shots on top of one another is having the same point of aim, quality ammo, consistent form and proper trigger control. You are better off not seeing and chasing your last shot but to practice aiming at the same point.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You don't need magnification for this. Stacking shots on top of one another is having the same point of aim, quality ammo, consistent form and proper trigger control. You are better off not seeing and chasing your last shot but to practice aiming at the same point.

+1 that is the truth... making accurate hits is not about the scope, it's about trigger control, form, and consistency. I used to think like others, that you can't consistently hit what you cannot clearly see, but that's not the way it works... knowing you can hit the x at 600 yards without a scope, and knowing when you did it, makes all the difference in the world.

Still, I understand the desire to have a scope, but at 300 yards you shouldn't need much more than a 4x scope.

Mark

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland

+1 that is the truth... making accurate hits is not about the scope, it's about trigger control, form, and consistency. I used to think like others, that you can't consistently hit what you cannot clearly see, but that's not the way it works... knowing you can hit the x at 600 yards without a scope, and knowing when you did it, makes all the difference in the world.

Still, I understand the desire to have a scope, but at 300 yards you shouldn't need much more than a 4x scope.

Plus the more magnification you use the more mirage is going to screw with you especially after a string of say ten or more shots.

I hear the Vortex's are great , good glass, nice features, etc .Only problem is they are HIGH demand right now so prepare for the wait.
    For that price range you may even want to look into the Falcon Menace lines.

I'm using a Konus M30. Ive used it for 1000yd matches, Precision rifle schools and rec shooting from 100-1,000 yds. If all you plan on doing is target shooting at 300yds then you may appreciate the precise 1/8 moa click vs the traditional 1/4 clicks.

I also recommend checking out Mel's scope reviews on Snipers Paradise before shelling out any $$.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I hear the Vortex's are great , good glass, nice features, etc .Only problem is they are HIGH demand right now so prepare for the wait.
    For that price range you may even want to look into the Falcon Menace lines.

That's primarily the PSTs, not the standard Vortex Viper's that are backordered/delayed. The standard Vipers are pretty easy to get and we have a handful of them in stock. The higher powered PST's get up there in price, too, although they are pretty slick :thumbsup:

jfm

Sep 5, 2010
    Nikon Monarch

My son, Jmira and I just bought a Nikon Monarch, 3x9-40 for our Remington 700. It was available on the Nikon Web site for $199, a savings of $100.00

We will report back when we mount it. By the way, we are still waiting for Remington to send the 700 back. They changed the trigger.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I am impressed with the viper vortex pst I have. Good customer service and lifetime warranty. Would I like a mark 4 or Swarovski? sure. They just don't fit my needs or budget. If you can swing one, do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom