• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    There's a thread over on M4Carbine regarding this rifle. Lets just say it's not that popular.
    I don't put much stock in what they say there. They poo poo lots of guns there that I don't think many of them have ever even shot or held.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I don't put much stock in what they say there. They poo poo lots of guns there that I don't think many of them have ever even shot or held.

Yea. I'm sure that goes on all over every forum. There are quite a few people from the industry who post there. Also a lot of carbine instructors over there as well. The information on that sight does seem to be a lot more technical than arfcom. There are some names on that forum that I know give good information and others I take their information and opinions with a grain of salt.

If you look at the thread in question, some of the guys who don't like the SIG platform give a pretty detailed and technical reason why. The person who started actually owns one and was asking a question as to why something on his rifle was malfunctioning. His malfunction was actually pretty common with the SIG rifle in question.

Personally, I have no opinion on them because I've never shot one. I almost overpaid for one 3 months ago though. I think the shop was asking 2 grand and they just put it on the shelf as I was leaving. I asked the salesman of I could see the rifle. I held it and shoulderd it but something just didn't feel right. I couldn't really put my finger on it but I just didn't like it. Just like Glocks. I know they are decent guns but I just don't like the way they feel when I'm holding them.

At the end of the day, get what you like and feels good to you. Personally I wouldn't get one because I know I can build a better rifle with less money.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The ones I have held have been a bit heavy, but felt right. Sig quality keeps getting an up and down review. Regulated or not is always a question (shouldnt be). Wouldnt be my first choice but at a fair price I dont think you can go wrong.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    You shouldn't get one b/c guns kill people. I guess the MSM brainwashing has not worked on you...
    But seriously, I have been eyeing the SWAT one for a while. The only reason I see not to purchase one is that the price has not dropped back to the pre-panic range. I am probably in somewhere south of $1,200. I saw one locally in MoCo a few weeks ago for $2,000, so if you really want one I can point you to where there is probably one still on the shelf!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Good friend has one. I like it. A bit front heavy and bulky but its cool. A nice combo of AK and AR is what I felt like it was to me.

rac74

Si vis pacem,para bellum
    May 27, 2009
    Occupied Carroll County
    Bought fall of 2012.Newer production 556 swat. Have ~ 500 rounds through mine with no problems. Using Gen M3 PMags. Diopter sights. Folding stock fits my short LOP. A little nose heavy but a Magpul 2nd gen AFG compensates for this nicely.....

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    It has essentially an AK action, so it is front heavy like an AK. If you've handled or shot an AK before, its about the same.

Oh, one other feature of the 556/556r. Its a non-regulated firearm in maryland, but will presumably be banned based on the features test on Oct 1. So, if you get one now, no 68 day wait.

Got it thanks.

Oh and sorry OP, didn't mean to highjack your 556 thread with R questions.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I like mine, though it rarely comes out of the safe these days because I like shooting other guns more. I bought one with the folding and telescoping AR-style stock several years ago and have always enjoyed shooting it. I don't know how to describe the operation, but it just feels like the sewing machine when I'm shooting it... a series of sharp and precise clicks and clacks. It has never had a single malfunction (maybe 2,000 rounds -- I really don't remember) and it's adequately accurate (I generally fed it PMC or privy ammo, so I don't have a real good basis for evaluating). The weight makes it stay on target like a boss, but also makes it tiring to shoot.

If I have one complaint, it is the crappy stock back-up sights.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If I have one complaint, it is the crappy stock back-up sights.
    It annoys the hell out of me that they don't have a proper front flip sight for their current rear flip-sight. The old rear-flip had a matching front-flip... but the current one only has the fixed hooded sight. I am one of those guys who really only uses irons on the 556 platform as emergency sights, so I don't want to mount up the diopter or MFI sights...

Other Sig 556 annoyances:
    1. Often sloppy fit between upper and lower
    2. So-so folding stock locking mechanism
    3. Sloppy polymer handguard fit (and no heat shield?)
    4. Old folding/collapsible stock felt a bit cheap (and could only lock when extended!)
    5. Safety selector lever is badly designed and not long enough.
    6. Top rail sometimes comes loose.
    7. Front heavy, especially with quad rail
    8. Meh trigger out of the box

Mind you, I don't think any of those are deal breakers... they're just annoyances. Most of them can be fixed.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I have one I got in a trade for a m1 carbine. Nothing special but its different. I haven't shot it enough to say much about the quality. I would not want it as my only rifle, its more a collectors rifle in my opinion

Bluemax

Member in good standing
    Jun 12, 2010
    southern maryland
    I own 4, a 556 classic, swat, 556R and 556P. I use PRI comps and the guns run like a rolex. I sold an ACR, SCAR, MSAR because the sigs were a better all around fit to what I like to do. If you cross an AK with a AR and throw in a little FN you get the SIG. Perfect no, good enough you bet!

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    I've got the 556R and love it. It takes the AK and makes up for much of its accuracy and functionality, without reducing reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom