• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Chinese? Hungarian?
    Anyone know what AK mags are good and which are junk?

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Stay away from Tapco. They've been junk from what I've encountered. Steel AK mags are where it's at....any eastern com-bloc ones will do. I have Bulgarian and Hungarian ones and both feed flawlessly.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Every once in a while AIM has 20 round AK mags and I will grab them. They say they are European "tanker" mags. Sometimes they include mag pouches as well.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Every once in a while AIM has 20 round AK mags and I will grab them. They say they are European "tanker" mags. Sometimes they include mag pouches as well.

I was actually looking online over the weekend for these and only keepshooting seemed to have them.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I got those a while back, they are the Hungarian ones. They were a great deal and worked well....I think it was if you bought 3 then they included the pouch with it.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A site called whatacountry.com shows the 20 rounders in stock. Cheaper than dirt is showing how expensive they really are, they are selling the 20 round mags for $21.97 each and they say they are blued. Never seen a blued mag look or feel like these.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    .....Steel AK mags are where it's at....any eastern com-bloc ones will do. I have Bulgarian and Hungarian ones and both feed flawlessly.

I Agree. It's not too hard to spot the crappy AK magazines. Avoid the lightweight ones made of very thin sheet metal and painted black with shiny cheap paint that chips off easily. I also try to avoid the plastic magazines. My favorites are just about any of the steel milsurp ones.
    Last time I went to the Nation's Gun Show I saw piles of good quality 30rd ak mags for $10 - $15 each. New 76rd drums were $70 - $95.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I've got the MilSurp 20 rounders, Hungarian I think. No problems with them. I also have some 30 rounders I picked up at PA and VA gun shows, but I'm not sure of their origin.

Chad told me to stick with metal European mags. They've done very well for me and aren't hard to find in un-issued/ lightly used.

I've read in several places, not just here that the European surplus metal AK mags have the best reliablity and durability.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Tapco AK Mags and ALL US made AK Mags (With exception to U.S. Palm Magazines).

The Korean AK mags are junk too.

Are the Korean 30/40 rounders a dull-gray color?
    If so they do seem to be a little more flimsy than most but they've worked fine for me so far.
    I've also tried a Korean made drum(I think, it's marked "American Tactical") that works flawlessly.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    what problems are people having with the tapco's? maybe its cuz i have an american ak i haven't had any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom