• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boomboom929

Dec 13, 2008
    Rockville
    I have an opportunity to but a new SCAR 17 but know little about them. Anybody with experience with these can share some likes/dislikes, strengths/drawbacks?

Thanks

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    The firearm itself is very nice. All depends on the price. In this market, if the price is fair and you have the cash, buy it.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    I love mine, more so than anything else I own.

-It's light, accurate right out of the box and pleasant to shoot for a 7.62/.308 rifle
    -Good rail options right out of the box
    -Easy to operate, disassemble and maintain.
    -It's cash and carry (for now).

It's just a quality rifle (not sure how it stacks up to a LaRue OBR, Super SASS, LWRC REPR's or other high end 7.62 rifles)

Dislikes:

-Lack of replacement parts, magazines, and barrel kits. Come on FN, get with it!
    -Stock trigger is so-so, It's a tad gritty but mine is getting better with use.

More on magazines:

Handl Defense makes a lower that can enable to you to use the .308 PMags, but it's hard to find and it's fairly pricey.

Magazines are not that hard to find now. I have been able to get factory magazines for around $60-$100 on GB. I have never found them in stock (at MSRP) online. I may just be unlucky. However, Thermold is cranking out polymer mags, which you can find for $25-$40 and they work just fine.

As for ammo, it's .308 and expensive to shoot, but what isn't these days?

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    the thermold mags are junk with shitty tilt followers.. decent range mags but dont drop them.. I have 2 and I already broke 1 doing a failure drill.. drop (this was almost full ) mag, cycle/inspect, insert new mag, cycle, scan/fire..

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    Agreed, Thermolds are range mags. If my life depended on it, they would not be the first thing I reached for. If you do 3-gun competitions or are a LEO or something similar, then I doubt Thermolds would be suitable for your purposes.

I am still hopeful that the Molon Labe mags will prove themselves...if they ever ship.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Do it.

FNH is akward with their supply. At least you are not counting on them for a proprietary caliber!

Mags are around. Parts, too. Just the market is secluded. Visit the FN forums. You will get great Intel.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Get it, it's one of the best 7.62 semi-auto rifles on the market. It's surprisingly accurate even with milsurp ammo... My buddy got one, we were shooting 150 gr. Magtech .308 at 50 yds (NRA HQ) and I posted a coule 1" 5-shot groups with irons. ETA: with the stock trigger, which is horrendous.

Thankfully GA makes one: http://geissele.com/superscar.aspx

fatalsports

Mar 4, 2012
    I have an opportunity to but a new SCAR 17 but know little about them. Anybody with experience with these can share some likes/dislikes, strengths/drawbacks?

Thanks

They are awesome rifles....I'd say it comes down to the price.

I bought one new about a month ago from On Target for $3200. At that time, prices on gunbroker were insane. Before the panic...I think they were around the $2700-2900

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The SCAR 17 is my favorite rife. It's amazingly light with magically delicious low recoil for a 308. Having owned or currently own an LR308, SIG716, PTR91, and M1A the difference in weight and balance is immediately noticable.

On the down side, the trigger is pretty bad for a $3k gun. I ended up replacing mine with a #3 Timney drop in trigger module which ended up needing a stronger hammer spring (supplied free of charge by Timney). The trigger on my SCAR 16 is even worse.

I've read a lot of complaints about the price of the mags in comparison to the SR25/LR308 MagPul mags. The only justifiable complaint is the cost as they are nearly a work of art and far superior in construction. I don't' believe any of my guns have a mag of the same quality level.

Another consideration is the reciprocating charging handle. Get caught by it once and you won't make that mistake again. If you enjoy A-Team style "spray and pray", holding the rifle in the proximity your groin, this probably isn't the gun for you. :lol:

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I actually like the gritty trigger.. I have no problems shooting good groups while supported, and man size targets at distance with this rifle.. irons or scoped..

if you want a sub MOA bench rest gun save the $300 on the trigger and 3k on the scar and get a bolt gun.... this is a 'battle rifle' not a safe queen...

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Love mine. It's a very modern battle rifle with strong ergonomics and features (free float barrel, monolithic upper, adjustable/folding stock, integrated BUIS, muzzle break, etc.) that make it a good value at 3k. The recoil is very reasonable, charging handle works easily, very lightweight for its capability. Mag availability has been an issue but you just need to watch the FN forums for deals. I have never paid over retail for a mag and have 12 (wish I had bought more to sell on GB!).

Selling my DSA FAL Para because I never shoot it anymore. I had that thing upgraded in almost every way and it still couldn't touch the SCAR. A lot of other battle rifles are like that - older designs with new stuff bolted on to provide then with more modern capabilities. Look at the high priced and heavy M1A chassis systems. Or FAL rails.

Other battle rifles have their advantages depending on what you want out of the rifle. But the SCAR 17 is very balanced.

I looked at various modern AR-based 308s as well but the extreme reliability testing on the SCAR sold me.

You can always upgrade the trigger - better than trying to upgrade every other part o the gun.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    a few weeks ago someone offered me ~6k for my scar with 10 factory mags..

I was pretty close but right now its hard to replace..

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Great rifle. I own the 16 but have fired a friends 17. Othe than the recoil, they were almost identical. And the recoil is really tame for a 308. As stated above, mags can be challenging to find but they're out there. And ammo prices are what they are at the moment. The trigger is definitely more of a combat trigger just as it is on my 16. I regret not buying one a couple years ago when I saw one for $2700. It's also very light and well balanced. If the price is right for you, I wouldn't hesitate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom