• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Some of you may have seen the thread regarding the police trade-in 870s (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147237). I was on of the folks who landed one of these shotguns. It was a pretty good deal.

I've been considering doing an SBS and this may be an opportunity since I didn't pay too much for the shotgun. However, I have a question for anyone who may have done this before. I have two options if I am going to build an SBS 870:

1. Buy a factory 14" Remington barrel and replace the 18" that is on the shotgun currently. I found some 14" barrels on GunBroker that claim to be factory Remington.

2. Pay a smith to cut down the current barrel. The 18" barrel on the shotgun is pitted at the end. It's not enough where I would be afraid of shooting but it's still pitting and it would be totally removed if the barrel were cut to 14". The way I see it I would need to have the barrel cut and the sights reset (the rear being put on the receiver itself). I don't know what would need to be done about the end of the newly cut barrel since the current one is a fixed choke.

My question is an economic one. Would it be less costly to buy a barrel and reset the sights or pay a smith to cut the old barrel down, do whatever would need to be done to the end to make it a fixed choke barrel once more, and reset the sights?

If it's all too expensive then I'll just leave it alone and use it as a beater gun. Just thought this may be a good opportunity. If I were to do the SBS route I'd go all out. Magpul furniture, custom cerakote, and all that jazz.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Picking up a 14" barrel is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to go. Unless you just use a hacksaw. :) I bought one a few years ago for $100. It came with sights. Now I just need to buy an 870 and finally get going on that SBR project. Thanks for the reminder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 178

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Picking up a 14" barrel is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to go. Unless you just use a hacksaw. :) I bought one a few years ago for $100. It came with sights. Now I just need to buy an 870 and finally get going on that SBR project. Thanks for the reminder.

Or sell it to me :innocent0

Barrels that I saw on Gun Broker went for $180 to $250 so at that price you did really well

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Can you post a picture of what you have on the gun?

Also do you want a choke installed so you can screw in a breacher? Porting?

Just the man I hoped to talk to :D

It's a run-of-the-mill 870. The Choate extended tube is pitted in several places, plus if I did an SBS it would have to go anyways. I hope the picture of the barrel pitting is clear enough for you to see what I'm talking about.

I didn't think about a breaching device or porting. I was figuring that an SBS is really only useful for shooting slugs though. Feel free to try and talk me in to (or out of) installing a choke.

Attachments

• 20140316_134543.jpg
      20140316_134543.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 167
    • 20140316_134701.jpg
      20140316_134701.jpg
      104 KB · Views: 167

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thats a nice shotgun and a great host for a SBS.

The rust seems to be in places that will be chopped anyway. I would just chop the barrel and have a smith move the front sight back.

The chokes wont improve patterns but will allow installation of a breacher choke. If you don't want a breacher then skip that. I wouldn't either.

Porting and backboring will help with reducing recoil. Backboring WILL improve patterns in mist shotguns. $250 is about the price for those services from magnaport.

Chopping the barrel and resoldering the sight/refinish would probably run about $125.00 at most reputable places. I would skip the chokes and just get it ported and backbored.

So you could get the barrel work done get it refinished and engraved (If you want to refinish) while waiting for the Form 1 to clear.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Is porting the barrel going to have a perceivable affect on recoil? I've never actually fired a slug but I've been told that the recoil can be pretty nasty, especially in the 3" ones. I've shot plenty of 3" 00 buck and that hurts enough.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is porting the barrel going to have a perceivable affect on recoil? I've never actually fired a slug but I've been told that the recoil can be pretty nasty, especially in the 3" ones. I've shot plenty of 3" 00 buck and that hurts enough.

It helps a little for slugs and heavy loads. Backboring will help the most for patterns with shot and reducing recoil IMO.

A nice soft limbsaver or decelerator pad on that gun will help take the sting out as well. The length of pull can change how your body manages recoil so a barrel chop and possibly stock shop and pad install may be the ticket for you.

I like short stocks on SBS shotguns, something with a length of pull like a Hogue Youth Stock. It your a real bug fella it bay not work well for you though. If you like wood then a smith can modify your stock you have and grind/fit a pad.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It helps a little for slugs and heavy loads. Backboring will help the most for patterns with shot and reducing recoil IMO.

A nice soft limbsaver or decelerator pad on that gun will help take the sting out as well. The length of pull can change how your body manages recoil so a barrel chop and possibly stock shop and pad install may be the ticket for you.

I like short stocks on SBS shotguns, something with a length of pull like a Hogue Youth Stock. It your a real bug fella it bay not work well for you though. If you like wood then a smith can modify your stock you have and grind/fit a pad.

I think I would refinish the wood and keep it. It's scratched up and has a few nicks but I like the look of a plain wood 870 stock. The Magpul stuff is nice and all but I'm just not sure if I'd like the look. As for length I have not had the opportunity to handle an SBS 870 before so I don't know if I'd like a shorter stock or not. I have long arms so it may not work well.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If I were to decide to keep the shotgun as-is is there a way to fill in pitting? I think you could do it by welding and polishing but I'm not sure.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If I were to decide to keep the shotgun as-is is there a way to fill in pitting? I think you could do it by welding and polishing but I'm not sure.

Duracoat I believe offers a filler that can be applied and sanded to fill pitting, but I have not used it.

You cant use things like Epoxy or body filler and such as most spray on gun finishes don't play nice with them.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Duracoat I believe offers a filler that can be applied and sanded to fill pitting, but I have not used it.

You cant use things like Epoxy or body filler and such as most spray on gun finishes don't play nice with them.

I figured epoxy was out. Seems like a poor solution anyways.

You are a mecca of knowledge, sir.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Thank you Sir. I enjoy helping when I can.

I can remember a time when I knew little and getting help was not easy.

I think I can hold my own when it comes to firearms history. I can also do basic gunsmith work, and by that I mean replacing broken parts. But cutting a barrel and moving sights is beyond my capabilities at this point in time.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Durafil. I have found cerakote or gunkote can be used the same, and I like their end-product better on the top coat. Just spray a light coat, sand after dried,and repeat until it's as smooth as you want.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Just my opinion, but I've never understood having pistol radius sights on a shorty shotgun.

If you're using it in your home and at short distances, you won't need sights at all. Point and pull.

Hacksaw that thing and dress it with some files and emory paper.

Take the rear sight off with a propane torch and remove the solder with emory paper.

Degrease, prime, paint flat BBQ black, and bake in the oven at 275 degrees for 1 hour. Let cool. Done.

It'll cost you 15 bucks at the most.

Sorry if I took money away from a Smith, but this is a DIY operation.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Durafil. I have found cerakote or gunkote can be used the same, and I like their end-product better on the top coat. Just spray a light coat, sand after dried,and repeat until it's as smooth as you want.

There ya go Bert. I would trust Nates advice on this subject. :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Just my opinion, but I've never understood having pistol radius sights on a shorty shotgun.

If you're using it in your home and at short distances, you won't need sights at all. Point and pull.

Hacksaw that thing and dress it with some files and emory paper.

Take the rear sight off with a propane torch and remove the solder with emory paper.

Degrease, prime, paint flat BBQ black, and bake in the oven at 275 degrees for 1 hour. Let cool. Done.

It'll cost you 15 bucks at the most.

Sorry if I took money away from a Smith, but this is a DIY operation.

No serious smith is going to be offended at not getting this job.

BTW, if you have ever hunted geese before you would know that its very easy to miss with a shotgun, even if the target if flying right towards you and 10 yards away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom