• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Anybody have any suggestions for SBRs that dosen't require a HQL?
    I already did a Form 1 on a AR and don't want another AR. Since, I don't have a HQL that rules out Form 4 and buying a pistol to do a Form 1.

I was thinking maybe a Sig 556R but not sure how you would deal with the gas system.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Anybody have any suggestions for SBRs that dosen't require a HQL?
    I already did a Form 1 on a AR and don't want another AR. Since, I don't have a HQL that rules out Form 4 and buying a pistol to do a Form 1.

I was thinking maybe a Sig 556R but not sure how you would deal with the gas system.

I have seen people buy a rifle and turn it into a SBR. For example, a SCAR16 or 17 into an SBR, just adding the shorter barrel. Not sure what MD law has to say about that other than 29" OAL.

You could also look into a bullpup. OAL is at or near 29" anyways.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    I have a question, and apologies to rtse4me for hijacking this thread.

The Form 1 asks for picture and fingerprint.

Can I forgo this if I have a HQL?

Also, if I want to submit a Form 1 without a trust, do I just leave that section blank?

I am contemplating buying the 10 inch barrel for my SCAR 17s, and want to know the easiest way without a trust.

Thanks for any advice.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I have a question, and apologies to rtse4me for hijacking this thread.

The Form 1 asks for picture and fingerprint.

Can I forgo this if I have a HQL?

Also, if I want to submit a Form 1 without a trust, do I just leave that section blank?

I am contemplating buying the 10 inch barrel for my SCAR 17s, and want to know the easiest way without a trust.

Thanks for any advice.
    HQLs don't have anything to do with the NFA paperwork.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Huh? Why is form 4 ruled out?

You need a HQL for a Form 4 transfer. This was a result of MSP interpretation of FSA2013. I bought a handgun before Oct 2013 to avoid HQL even though I don't shoot handguns. Should of bought a SBR but everyone was saying that NFA items would not be affected.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Yes, but no ffl will transfer a stripped AK or HK roller pattern. I really don't want to start from 80% or a flat.

Freestate had a stripped AK receiver in thier case a couple of weeks ago. I woulld ask there or Duffy's is always also a good bet. You do not need a HQL for a stripped receiver and SBRs are no longer on the handgun list.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Freestate had a stripped AK receiver in thier case a couple of weeks ago. I woulld ask there or Duffy's is always also a good bet. You do not need a HQL for a stripped receiver and SBRs are no longer on the handgun list.

Thanks for the info, just by coincidence I will be close by Freestate this week.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    My question is, if I need fingerprints and a picture for the form 1, do I still need to do this if I have an HQL?

I am wanting to the the CLEO sign off route.
    Yes, because HQLs don't have anything to do with NFA. HQL is for Maryland. NFA paperwork is for the ATF

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    So next question...

Has anyone gone the CLEO sign off route? And will MSP CLEO sign off?

I live in Potomac.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I live in Potomac.

I purchase all NFA stuff via trust (you should consider this as well!), so I don't have first-hand knowledge, but I've been told you may have good luck with the MSP on Montrose Rd (near intersection with Seven Locks).

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I purchase all NFA stuff via trust (you should consider this as well!), so I don't have first-hand knowledge, but I've been told you may have good luck with the MSP on Montrose Rd (near intersection with Seven Locks).

+1

Trust is a good way to go, but pay attention to the 41P ruling from the ATF due in January.

I haven't had MSP sign off on any of my forms (trust), but I have heard it needs to go through Pikesville between the hours of 10 and 2. Unreal.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So next question...

I live in Potomac.

Yes they will sign off, but they take thier time doing it. About 2-8 weeks. Then you have to wait for the form 1. (Currently about 4mos)

A trust saves you the wait time at the MSP and the cost of fingerprints(usually about $50). It also allows you to file your form 1 electronically.

There is going to be a new ruling involving trusts in January. All these advantages could go away(or not), no one knows.

If you choose the trust route, you need to do it now.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom