• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I've decided tonight I need a SBR Ar-15. Gun money is about $0.00 for the rest of the year so I'd have to sell my Colt 6940 to finance this.

With that being said I'm a Colt fan and saw they make a 6933. Any one have on of these? Are there any issues with the gas system?

Do SBR DI AR's run just as good as 16+ barrels? Anything to watch out for?

I'd like to get a can for it sooner or later but it would probably have to wait a year. Does it make more sense to do the can and SBR at the same time? I could pull money from savings if it makes it easier but would prefer not to.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Have you thought about buying just the SBR upper and selling your Colt upper? just a thought

That might make more sense as I could do FTF for the upper from my rifle.

It would be my first NFA item. So if I have the lower already I'd get the shorty upper sent to a 3 dealer to start the paper work? Then take possession of the upper once it clears the ATF?

Seems complicated. If I have a spare lower can I take the SBR upper home and just not install it to the SBR lower and run it on a AR pistol setup?

It seems rather confusing really.

Would I be able to get a 6933 upper sent to my house...do the Form 4 without a class 3 dealer and just not mount the upper/lower until the form comes back?

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Go to Engage and buy one of their lowers that you wouldn't have to get engraved. Then buy one of their Colt Commando kits and you will have a complete Colt rifle minus the lower.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    AR Pistol it until the paperwork comes in.

So I could buy the upper without the form as long as I have a pistol lower.

Then once I get the upper I can complete and send in the Form 4 by myself without a dealer and then just wait?

The form 4 looks pretty cut and dry truthfully.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Name Taken said:

Then once I get the upper I can complete and send in the Form 4 by myself without a dealer and then just wait?

Correct. The lower has to be a virgin lower, never having been in a rifle configuration.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD

Form 1 is the one you'll need, as you'll be manufacturing an SBR. A Form 4 is for transfers.

What I did was buy a lower from Engage that they had put on a Form 2 and have it transferred to me on a Form 4.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Form 1 is the one you'll need, as you'll be manufacturing an SBR. A Form 4 is for transfers.

What I did was buy a lower from Engage that they had put on a Form 2 and have it transferred to me on a Form 4.

Okay.

I wouldnt have to get the lower engraved since it's already a firearm correct? If I'm stuck engraving a lower I'd probably not use my Colt and would get a seperate new lower.

I read this and I believe I wouldnt have to get in engraved.

Serial Numbers and other Markings. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number . If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Wow, I'm Cornfused....:D I was going to do some thing similar to this, but it just seems like more trouble then what its worth.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Name Taken said:
    Okay.

I wouldnt have to get the lower engraved since it's already a firearm correct? If I'm stuck engraving a lower I'd probably not use my Colt and would get a seperate new lower.

I read this and I believe I wouldnt have to get in engraved.

Serial Numbers and other Markings. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number . If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

You can get a factory SBR and not have to engrave anything. If you are going to turn one of your lowers/guns into a SBR, YOU are the manufacturer and have to engrave your name/trust name on the lower.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Commando-length ARs have been around forever. 6933s are nice guns and run just fine.

YES. I have an 11.5" BFH upper from BCM and it works great. I've fired a couple gen-u-wine Colt 6933 uppers (which have the "pencil barrel") and they are excellent.

Expect a loud muzzle report, and insane muzzle flash. For more insane noise and flash your only option is the Mk18 type uppers. But IMO the extra inch you get with the Commando-length barrel is not a big deal, and helps your reliability or so I hear...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You can get a factory SBR and not have to engrave anything. If you are going to turn one of your lowers/guns into a SBR, YOU are the manufacturer and have to engrave your name/trust name on the lower.

Colt factory SBRs are out there, but rare. They're only sold to LE distributors and when they pop up they aren't cheap. I have only seen a couple, including one with a low shelf trigger housing... but the others I've seen are milled so a sear cannot be installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom