SBR AR-15, which cartridges if you could choose 3?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Your 3 favorite cartridges for a SBR

• .458 SOCOM

Votes: 11 22.4%
    • .300 AAC BLK

Votes: 40 81.6%
    • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 8 16.3%
    • .223 Wylde

Votes: 20 40.8%
    • OTHER - please post what and why if you have the time

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    1.) 300BO

2.) 9mm

3.) 6.8

Numbers 1 & 2 could swing either way for me, because of cost. The 9mm would be able to be shot the most often, as right now, I think a 1000 rounds can be had for under $200!! Of good ammo.....can't touch any other caliber for that. And both work well suppressed. I have not heard a 9mm, but a .300 B O with integral suppressor from AAC. I could not believe how damn quiet it was. Like a .22lr, it was soooo quite. Amazing.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    9mm is fun. It is also relatively quiet, even when not supressed. When supressed, it is very quiet.

9mm was built for a shorter barrel.

You should do at least one pistol caliber SBR.

.22lr is not a bad idea either. At least for an extra upper.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    10.5" 7.62x39. I have enough stuff to load for already. It's cheap and fun to shoot.

10.5" Beowulf on the way. The 450 is faster and shoots flatter. The SOCOM has more variety / functionality. But the Wulf is a .50 and I already have a safe full of stuff I don't really need so I rolled with the fifty.

Got 6.8s and 6.5s too, with long barrels. Love'em all, but the 6.8 is my goto rifle.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    .223/5.56
    300BLK
    9mm

The last 2 are fun to run suppressed.
    My 9mm SBR is my favorite setup by far. Very, very easy to control and not crazy loud like most AR's under 10".
    The above would be the routes that tempt me for the reasons they've stated. In addition, I've been eying AR-57 uppers (as I missed getting an FN PS90 before October 2013, am less interested in the variants to stretch it to 29" OAL, and already have a FiveSeven pistol). The 5.7 round performs well out of a short rifle barrel with the recoil of a 9mm, lighter weight per round, flatter ballistics, greater penetration, and 50 round mags. Ammo is even relatively affordable these days (e.g. PSA is selling 50 rd boxes of American Eagle 5.7x28 for $14 right now).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The above would be the routes that tempt me for the reasons they've stated. In addition, I've been eying AR-57 uppers (as I missed getting an FN PS90 before October 2013, am less interested in the variants to stretch it to 29" OAL, and already have a FiveSeven pistol). The 5.7 round performs well out of a short rifle barrel with the recoil of a 9mm, lighter weight per round, flatter ballistics, greater penetration, and 50 round mags. Ammo is even relatively affordable these days (e.g. PSA is selling 50 rd boxes of American Eagle 5.7x28 for $14 right now).

AR-57's are fun as SBR's. I've got one with a 12" barrel and another with a 6" barrel and suppressor that fits inside the stock hand guard.

See post #7 below of the 12".

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143654&highlight=Ar57+full+auto

This is close to the look of the 6".

Attachments

• attachment.png
      attachment.png
      19.4 KB · Views: 170

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

I have a 5.7 handgun too and I've been thinking about a 5.7 upper for a while now. Never thought to suppress it. Didn't realize they had subsonic ammo for it but sure enough...its out there! A 5.7 upper would go nicely on a FA lower!

I had a PS90 and a FS2000 in my hands a couple years ago and bought the FS2000 like an idiot. Might be time to get rid of it!

*Edit to say I just checked Gunbroker for FS2000's and the price seems to have gone up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why would you want to shoot subsonic 5.7?????????????

.22 LR is MUCH cheaper. And same weight bullet at the same velocity.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I shoot full powered 5.7 in my suppressed AR57's. I was given a few boxes of subsonic 5.7, and only use it on rare occasions. Mainly just to show people the difference. It's a novelty, like subsonic 5.56.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I LOVE my .300 SBR. I don't have an upper yet, but am REALLY wanting to build a 9mm to put on it as well. My problem right now is do I build a 9mm upper for my current SBR, or do I build a dedicated 9mm lower and then have to SBR that........

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I LOVE my .300 SBR. I don't have an upper yet, but am REALLY wanting to build a 9mm to put on it as well. My problem right now is do I build a 9mm upper for my current SBR, or do I build a dedicated 9mm lower and then have to SBR that........

Why dump money into a dedicated 9mm AR when you can just use an existing standard sbr lower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom