• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Most of the laws address detachable magazines outside of the grip. Nothing is bein addressed with handguns with the exception of possibly threaded barrels. The real problem will be buying a handgun that has a magazine > 10 rounds.

Are you saying that if the particular handgun can accept mags > 10 it will be a problem or if it comes with one? If the latter was the problem couldn't you just buy the gun without mags and then get your own out of state?

janxster

Sep 15, 2012
    Really nice FAQ. Clears up most of the questions I have.
    Will still be able to buy banned guns and stripped lowers until oct?

If so , I guess we will see the demand for banned guns and ammo continue until at least October.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Are you saying that if the particular handgun can accept mags > 10 it will be a problem or if it comes with one? If the latter was the problem couldn't you just buy the gun without mags and then get your own out of state?

AFAIK the handgun w/o threaded barrel is not banned, the magazine is. It would be treated like 30 round AR mags. You can own but can't buy or sell here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It's defined in the bill as something that hides or reduces the flash. I really don't think this is ambiguous.

I have updated the FAQ with commentary about the transport issue (which isn't).

The point is, they don't really reduce the flash.

So would it require night firing to prove that it is a "flash suppressor?" And what is the level of reduction that is needed?

Most of the people making these laws think that "flash suppressors" eliminate the flash. Which they do not.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    Ok here is a question we are not sure of does 281 forbid manufacturers from Building AK & AR15 rifles in Maryland ? We are a warehouse and ship all of our items,, some in MD but we do service all other states will we be forced to shut our doors because of the new regulations or did they provide provisions for sales shipped outside of MD ? What provisions did they write in for Beretta ?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    What a group of freaking idiots in Annapolis. They are so pompous and ignorant that they can't even produce an intelligible Bill.

The Attorney Generals Office better get their butts in gear and publish clear, coherent guidance if this passes. What I find infuriating is that the Bill has zero focus on the existing criminal element but does plenty to excercise us law abiding, tax paying citizens.

The Maryland State Police can't even keep up with gun sales, how on Earth are they going to administer this train wreck which will be several orders of magnitude of additional bureaucracy?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ok here is a question we are not sure of does 281 forbid manufacturers from Building AK & AR15 rifles in Maryland ? We are a warehouse and ship all of our items,, some in MD but we do service all other states will we be forced to shut our doors because of the new regulations or did they provide provisions for sales shipped outside of MD ? What provisions did they write in for Beretta ?
    It looked to me like if you get your FFL07, you'll be golden. This isn't free, especially with the ITAR fees, but that was how it looked to me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The point is, they don't really reduce the flash.

So would it require night firing to prove that it is a "flash suppressor?" And what is the level of reduction that is needed?
    The level of reduction that meets the law's standard is "any". I doubt there's a mechanism for proving this beforehand. More likely, it'll be like in Cali, where everyone covers their ass by getting one that just flat-out can't do it.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    ewros do you know where in the bill it says that manufacturers are exempt / I know they had an original amendment for dealers but it looks like it got struck out ?

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    ewros do you know where in the bill it says that manufacturers are exempt / I know they had an original amendment for dealers but it looks like it got struck out ?

It seems that Engage and Beretta both made verbal remarks regarding the criminal penalties for dealers (which they are registered as in MD) for paperwork errors. If you have not called your Delegate, now is the time.

SB281

The Secretary shall suspend a dealer’s license if the licensee
    (3) IS NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE RECORD KEEPING AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS OF § 5–145 OF THIS SUBTITLE.
    5-145
    FOR A SECOND OR SUBSEQUENT OFFENSE, A PERSON WHO 30 KNOWINGLY VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND IS SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 3 YEARS OR A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $10,000 OR BOTH.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's an explicit exemption for licensed manufacturers and dealers that I think would work for you guys.

SB281 said:
    This subtitle does not apply to:
    (3) POSSESSION, MANUFACTURE, RECEIPT FOR MANUFACTURE, SHIPMENT FOR MANUFACTURE, purchases, sales, and transport to or by a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer who is:
    (ii)
    acting to sell or transfer an assault WEAPON or detachable magazine to a licensed firearm dealer in another state;
    OR
    (III) ACTING TO RETURN TO A CUSTOMER IN ANOTHER STATE AN ASSAULT WEAPON TRANSFERRED TO THE LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER OR MANUFACTURER UNDER THE TERMS OF A WARRANTY OR FOR REPAIR;
    The penalties for dealers who make mistakes in their record-keeping are somewhat over-the-top, but that's a different problem.

Mike G

Feb 10, 2013
    There's an explicit exemption for licensed manufacturers and dealers that I think would work for you guys.

The penalties for dealers who make mistakes in their record-keeping are somewhat over-the-top, but that's a different problem.

They are insane.

I still am not sure I understand what happens to anyone with lowers that are not built up... and if you have a lower, can you change it up?

I know this is what they want, but I am ready to move out of state.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Would be a more compelling read if you linked to the source text inside the bill. As it stands the FAQ reads like your interpretation of it, which may or may not be accurate.
    FOAD. I'm doing this for free. If you want a properly-sourced document, I'll give you a Paypal link to comp me for my time, which is not as cheap as you may suspect.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How about the 90s "thumbhole" stocks. That removes the "pistol grip."

I recall the ones for FALs and even AR type fire arms. They just put a thin strap from the pistol grip to the stock.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How about the 90s "thumbhole" stocks. That removes the "pistol grip."

I recall the ones for FALs and even AR type fire arms. They just put a thin strap from the pistol grip to the stock.
    They're not going to be as helpful given that the "named list" of assault long guns includes copies. Mind you, there's always the chance that the MSP will do another "bulletin 96-1" and tell us that, contrary to all evidence, compliant guns are not considered clones of guns on the assault long guns list. *shrugs*

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    erwos: Your FAQ is spot on. Nice job. Thanks There is a slight ambiguity about the capacity to accept a magazine outside the pistol grip as a banned feature. That could be read as a capacity to accept a mag. that extends outside the pistol grip, e.g., a large mag. I construe to mean the capacity to accept any magazine *other than* in the pistol grip. The former interpretation would effectively ban all semi auto pistols. The Feiinstein billl has clarifying language on this, SB 281 and HB 294 do not. The Feinstein billl defines it as :
    iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

I think that was the intent of SB 281, but these guys in MD are sloppy draftsmen.

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    First i don't understand how they are going to enforce these measures. They don't have the manpower and there are no records.
    Second, I don't see how firms like Beretta will be able to stay in business here unless they leave the state. If it was my business and it depended on out of state sales, I wouldn't worry about how to comply and remain here. When MD State is embargoed it will be more difficult to sell things from this address to Free America. With all the companies leaving the anti states, many will just not buy from companies in those states. I know if Beretta follows through and leaves the state I will purchase one of their pistols. I had no interest before this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom