• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Some have opined that if you didn't possess the pre 10-1 configuration, you cannot assemble it after Oct. 1.

I guess it's up to the individual.

Feb 28, 2013
    Some have opined that if you didn't possess the pre 10-1 configuration, you cannot assemble it after Oct. 1.

I guess it's up to the individual.

In my mind, if it's something that's banned anyway and thus grandfathered, then it doesn't much matter how you configure it as long as you owned it before 10/1/13.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP's argument could be you owned an O type lower before 10-1, not a rifle. If you make it a rifle configuration after 10-1 and it's now banned, who knows?

I have no idea what MSP would say.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    In my mind, if it's something that's banned anyway and thus grandfathered, then it doesn't much matter how you configure it as long as you owned it before 10/1/13.

Bingo! Some people just think TOOOO far into this. JeeBus! It is what it is, if you're afraid, sell the product, or move to PA or VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO, it's not a matter of being afraid. it's wondering if MSP will try to take away your gun rights for some minor misread of their regs.

prudence isn't a bad thing when dealing with MSP and te state of MD.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    IMO, it's not a matter of being afraid. it's wondering if MSP will try to take away your gun rights for some minor misread of their regs.

prudence isn't a bad thing when dealing with MSP and te state of MD.

But this has been discussed over, and Over, AND OVER in previous threads. Even with the SBR's and SBS's. (Can't remember the troopers name) the trooper even stated "YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH A PRE BAN WEAPON!". He's told several people here including myself, yet, the speculation continues? SMH

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's part of the problem. He said it. It wasn't put in writing. what if he's transferred or retires and the next guy changes the rules?

There is still too much that's not in writing. I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful.

Feb 28, 2013
    MSP's argument could be you owned an O type lower before 10-1, not a rifle. If you make it a rifle configuration after 10-1 and it's now banned, who knows?

That's why I chose my Bushy to put my launcher on. Deciding against that wouldn't make a Bushy any less banned. :)

If I put it in my Colt HBAR though, that might be an issue.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    That's part of the problem. He said it. It wasn't put in writing. what if he's transferred or retires and the next guy changes the rules?

There is still too much that's not in writing. I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful.

I don't think many are thinking this through. 1st, the MSP IMHO, had been against this law to begin with! How did I come to this conclusion!? First off, think of it like this, there are weapons now in Maryland that at one point we could even go purchase from the store. Now, they here you can purchase, and legally owned them! Maryland State police never lliked the Atty. Gen. Who signed off on this law to begin with! They'd been at odds for years prior to this law being passed. So of course they wouldn't support anything who they deemed an enemy of their department. Merlin legislation also left it up to Maryland State police to clarify what weapons was deemed as copycats and what weapons weren't. So what did Maryland State police do? They turned around and said to themselves and the politicians, "Okay!Y'all want to change laws that don't benefit us nor the people of Maryland, where going to turn around and make all of these weapons that was once banned legal again!"! So in effect, Maryland State police are the ones that have been skirting the law since it was created, all for the sake of making Marylanders happy, yet snubbing their noses at the politicians that created this dumbass law!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    IANAL, but IMO after Oct 1 the only thing you can legally assemble is an HBAR or a pistol.

If the barrel doesn't say HBAR on it or the dealer can't articulate to MSP that it is an HBAR, you'd be on shaky ground IMO.

don't want to beat a dead horse, but I believe otherwise. I am going to base my opinion on the fact that the MSP gave the ATF the go ahead to approve form 1s for SBRs with < 29" OALs (that's supposed to be less than, but I always mix them up) if they were being built on post 10/1/13 lower etc. I would see no difference in building out a non NFA lower as long as it was a Post 10/1.

If I was to follow your extremely cautious way of thinking (and I clearly understand why) I would not be able to theoretically switch around uppers on pre 10/1 rifles. Ex: I have a lower that was bought in 1/1/2010 as other (O) it is currently setup in a HBAR format, but I have a M4 profile upper that I like to shoot also. So I go to the range with the rifle and the spare upper to shoot. You're saying that once I switch the upper at the range to shoot the other config I would be committing a crime? That is going to be a little far fetched on the MSP behalf to enforce/prove and it will boil down to you having the correct paperwork like most other firearm related issues.

Now what I mean is if I am conceal carrying a firearm in MD it's not an automatic arrest correct? The officer needs to conduct a preliminary investigation, therefor he requests your CCW permit and validates if you are in lawful possession and lawfully carrying. Going to the range with a NFA item that appears to be illegal to most is not an automatic lockup right? (you have documentation stating you are in legal possession of said items) I see no difference with this issue, if you want to be safe carry documentation, but don't believe this is an automatic arrest. Worst case scenario is someone goes fishing and asks for proof that it's a pre 10/1 firearm. But, that can go for any gun that you have in your possession post 10/1. 10 years from now we will be an elite group with non HBAR ARs do you think we will be questioned every time we open our range bags at the range? probably not...........

edited: The area in bold is not correct based on information in the NFA threads, I am editing this to help keep the flow of misinformation to a minimum!

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But this has been discussed over, and Over, AND OVER in previous threads. Even with the SBR's and SBS's. (Can't remember the troopers name) the trooper even stated "YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH A PRE BAN WEAPON!". He's told several people here including myself, yet, the speculation continues? SMH

WRT to SBRs that is WRONG.

You cannot make a pre-ban lower into a less than 29" SBR. This is what MSP told BATFE, IN WRITING.

Unless it is in writing from MSP, and CURRENT, it doesn't hold water.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    WRT to SBRs that is WRONG.

You cannot make a pre-ban lower into a less than 29" SBR. This is what MSP told BATFE, IN WRITING.

Unless it is in writing from MSP, and CURRENT, it doesn't hold water.

Still falling back on what Edwards told myself, and others.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think many are thinking this through. 1st, the MSP IMHO, had been against this law to begin with! How did I come to this conclusion!? First off, think of it like this, there are weapons now in Maryland that at one point we could even go purchase from the store. Now, they here you can purchase, and legally owned them! Maryland State police never lliked the Atty. Gen. Who signed off on this law to begin with! They'd been at odds for years prior to this law being passed. So of course they wouldn't support anything who they deemed an enemy of their department. Merlin legislation also left it up to Maryland State police to clarify what weapons was deemed as copycats and what weapons weren't. So what did Maryland State police do? They turned around and said to themselves and the politicians, "Okay!Y'all want to change laws that don't benefit us nor the people of Maryland, where going to turn around and make all of these weapons that was once banned legal again!"! So in effect, Maryland State police are the ones that have been skirting the law since it was created, all for the sake of making Marylanders happy, yet snubbing their noses at the politicians that created this dumbass law!

Are you willing to risk your freedom (jail time), you money (fines and legal fees), you firearms collection (confiscated), and your right to ever possess a firearm again (conviction)?

All on your "fact" that MSP doesn't like the rule, so they won't enforce it?

How some some local cop? Or you irritate an MSP trooper and he uses this to get at you?

You don't think the AG office WILL prosecute the case if it ever comes up?

Go for it. Your life, liberty, and firearms.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Still falling back on what Edwards told myself, and others.

Furthermore, I'm speaking on "lowers/receivers" that are preban. Personally, I don't want anything less than a 10" barrel anyway. Anything less, is just useless beyond 200 yards pretty much.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Are you willing to risk your freedom (jail time), you money (fines and legal fees), you firearms collection (confiscated), and your right to ever possess a firearm again (conviction)?

All on your "fact" that MSP doesn't like the rule, so they won't enforce it?

How some some local cop? Or you irritate an MSP trooper and he uses this to get at you?

You don't think the AG office WILL prosecute the case if it ever comes up?

Go for it. Your life, liberty, and firearms.

Not concerned with the willingness blah blah blah. My ish is legal, I'm plotting my move out of state, so I really don't care one way or the other.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    don't want to beat a dead horse, but I believe otherwise. I am going to base my opinion on the fact that the MSP gave the ATF the go ahead to approve form 1s for SBRs with < 29" OALs (that's supposed to be less than, but I always mix them up) if they were being built on post 10/1/13 lower etc. I would see no difference in building out a non NFA lower as long as it was a Post 10/1.

Except that currently MSP has told the BATFE that NO semi auto centerfire SBR can be made out of ANY lower, that is less than 29" long. Doesn't matter pre-Oct 1 lower or post-Oct 1 lower.

So ALL Form 1s and Form 4s for semi auto centerfire SBRs MUST be over 29" or they will be disapproved by BATFE. Check the threads in the NFA section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom