SB118 (2023) - Criminal Law – Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Dan, it's going to be so bad I will be ignoring ALL the related threads here on MDS and just reading MSI.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Dan, it's going to be so bad I will be ignoring ALL the related threads here on MDS and just reading MSI.
    Meh, we need to educate the newbies, might as well do it during what will arguably be one of the ugliest, busiest legislative sessions we have seen.

Make no mistake, we will need everyone this session, every phone call, every e-mail, every body that can show up in person, and every one that wants to testify in person.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does it exempt transportation of long guns for target shooting and hunting purposes? That could be interesting.
    NO.

A ban on all firearms in ALL the places named in each of the bills.

In 118, it is a ban effectively everywhere that isn't your own property. That could be interpreted to include public roads since they are controlled by the government.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    NO.

A ban on all firearms in ALL the places named in each of the bills.

In 118, it is a ban effectively everywhere that isn't your own property. That could be interpreted to include public roads since they are controlled by the government.
    It's crazy. We won't even be able to leave the state without becoming a criminal on the way out.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    View attachment 395933

So 100 feet from any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, soda fountain or other facility .. engaged in selling food....

Nuts.. Look at all the crime they're preventing by proposing this legislation (sarcasm).
    Criminals, including corrupt public officials wrote this. They want to be assured of a safe work place. Can't extort "protection" money from people that can defend themselves. Can't safely rob a place when the customer might shoot back.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So who else is going to ignore this and carry anyway. It's so blatantly unconstitutional that you can pretty much guarantee a court win and payday.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I've shared all this with a couple of relatively newbie gun owners here in MoCo. They aren't arch conservatives, generally just go-along-get-along types. They are convinced that we can't be interpreting the language in these bills correctly, that there must be some mistake, because this can't be what they mean because that wouldn't make any sense, blah blah. Welcome to the party, pal(s)!

The challenge is in getting middle of the road people (by Maryland standards, especially MoCo standards) to grasp how this sort of crap is just the tip of the Undo The Bill Of Rights camel's nose coming in under the tent. It's not about guns, I tell them, it's about completely upending the entire philosophical framework of the nation's founding, as codified in the Constitution. But because guns are icky and even new MoCo gun owners are sympathetic to their poor invertebrate, pearl clutching Karen neighbors, they are the easy low hanging fruit in the REAL battle, which is about liberty generally, not just 2A specifically. I'm torn between the noisy and likely only barely successful fight to keep these bills from getting out of committee, and the more substantive long term benefits of letting them become law, and then having them resoundingly - but very slowly and expensively - crushed in court for the long haul.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    All i have to say is for every tom,dick and harry issued their handgun permit,warrants them to show up in annapolis to voice their opposition.
    Hoping that a high majority are self-aware of this potiential infringement being law!!!

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Hahahahaha!!!!

The MGA believes that active duty soldiers are developing weapons and ammunition and not scientists and engineers on federal property! Want to F the defense ability of the US Army? Prohibit APG from what it does on a daily basis.

D) A PERSON MAY NOT KNOWINGLY WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT A FIREARM IN OR ON PROPERTY CONTROLLED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, THE STATE GOVERNMENT, OR A LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

D&Ds

Aug 16, 2022
    Indian Head
    SB118 - Criminal Law – Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms

Sponsor(s): Senators Lee and Waldstreicher

Link to Bill: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2023RS/bills/sb/sb0118F.pdf

Synopsis: FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm on private property unless the owner of the property has given certain permission or posted a certain sign; prohibiting a person from wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm in or on property controlled by the federal government, the State government, or a local government; and generally relating to prohibitions on the wearing, carrying, or transporting of firearms.
    well its nice to se they dont want any local government entities making decisions either. :sad20:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

Title 14 U.S. Code § 522, 523, and 524 - Law enforcement​

(B) THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO:
    (2) A PERSON WHO HAS RETIRED AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER 2 IN GOOD STANDING FROM A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, 3 THE STATE, OR A LOCAL UNIT IN THE STATE; 'm

I'm covered so is every Active Duty Coasty along with Retired Coastys

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

(2) A PERSON WHO HAS RETIRED AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER 2 IN GOOD STANDING FROM A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, 3 THE STATE, OR A LOCAL UNIT IN THE STATE; 'm

Rubbing our noses in it, for those of us that won't be exempt?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

CG is not a law enforcement agency. It's a military branch.

What's the purpose of this post?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Attachments

• We Will Not Comply Small.jpg
      We Will Not Comply Small.jpg
      234.5 KB · Views: 46

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's crazy. We won't even be able to leave the state without becoming a criminal on the way out.
    Actually, you could in that case. FOPA should protect you if you are traveling out of state IIRC.

One note, I didn't check all of the bills, but I think all of these are effective 10/1/2023 (at least one of them, SB1?, is). Not that it makes anything much better. But that does at least give some breathing room for lawsuits, versus NJ and NY which were "SCREW YOU GUN OWNERS. IMMEDIATELY!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom