• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonS

Feb 28, 2018
    One question: On Oct 1, SB1 goes into effect. From what I've read on this forum, I will be required to carry long guns in a LOCKED case for transport and handguns in a case (not necessarily locked) W&C aside. Does the law stipulate that the case has to be a solid (plastic) case or can I lock my soft case to transport? Thanks for any input. Not really concerned, but I want to be sure as I transport guns to and from range.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This was discussed at length here a few weeks ago, but I don't know where. My recollection is that this was dismissed as a false rumor.

Reading the turgid prose on the MSI page, I can see why the rumor would exist. That page is a terrible disappointment. MSI should have a very prominent notice regarding the new law, with very clear explanations. Instead we get a confusing legalese cut-and-paste, if we can find that.

I believe that's a false rumor, but MSI is no f-ing help on clearing that up.

I wouldn't worry about it, myself, but it would sure be nice to have clear guidance from Maryland's Premiere Civil Rights Organization.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This was discussed at length here a few weeks ago, but I don't know where. My recollection is that this was dismissed as a false rumor.

Reading the turgid prose on the MSI page, I can see why the rumor would exist. That page is a terrible disappointment. MSI should have a very prominent notice regarding the new law, with very clear explanations. Instead we get a confusing legalese cut-and-paste, if we can find that.

I believe that's a false rumor, but MSI is no f-ing help on clearing that up.

I wouldn't worry about it, myself, but it would sure be nice to have clear guidance from Maryland's Premiere Civil Rights Organization.
    To answer the post, the vehicle provision in SB1 is an exception from the bans otherwise imposed by SB1. So, if you are NOT in one of the areas in which carry is banned under Section 4-111, then the exception does not apply and you can transport in accordance existing law, which generally provides that a non-permit holder can transport a long gun in a vehicle as long as it is unloaded and can transport a handgun in accordance with MD Code Criminal Law 4-203(b) (to specified places as long as it is unloaded and in a enclosed case or holster. Under that exception, a permit holder is allowed to carry a handgun fully loaded in a vehicle, even in the banned areas. It's not our fault that SB1 is complex, turning as it does on a person have a basic knowledge of existing MD firearms law.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm actually a fairly intelligent man, but I don't understand your post. The OP thinks the new law requires that his rifle be transported in a locked case when he drives to the range. Is he correct?

There should be a very succinct summary of the new law prominently posted on the MSI site. The law should NOT be quoted directly in the summary, only paraphrased in clear simple language. Footnotes may direct the curious to the actual law. I think a simple question and answer format would be best.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    We need MSI to explain the law in simple, clear language.
    Well, that's really hard, because its really complex and a clear understanding depends a lot on understanding existing law. We did the best we could on the Website. And we are all volunteers with day jobs. So, if you are a MSI member, you can email questions directly to info@marylandshallissue.org and we will try to answer them. If you are not a member, why in the Hell not?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'm actually a fairly intelligent man, but I don't understand your post. The OP thinks the new law requires that his rifle be transported in a locked case when he drives to the range. Is he correct?

There should be a very succinct summary of the new law prominently posted on the MSI site. The law should NOT be quoted directly in the summary, only paraphrased in clear simple language. Footnotes may direct the curious to the actual law. I think a simple question and answer format would be best.
    No, he is not correct, UNLESS he happens to be in one of the areas in which all firearms are banned by SB1 under Section 4-111.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    To answer the post, the vehicle provision in SB1 is an exception from the bans otherwise imposed by SB1. So, if you are NOT in one of the areas in which carry is banned under Section 4-111, then the exception does not apply and you can transport in accordance existing law, which generally provides that a non-permit holder can transport a long gun in a vehicle as long as it is unloaded and can transport a handgun in accordance with MD Code Criminal Law 4-203(b) (to specified places as long as it is unloaded and in a enclosed case or holster. Under that exception, a permit holder is allowed to carry a handgun fully loaded in a vehicle, even in the banned areas. It's not our fault that SB1 is complex, turning as it does on a person have a basic knowledge of existing MD firearms law.
    hidden in the middle

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    OP don't feel bad for being confused. I think I finally have given up trying to figure out Marylands idiotic laws a couple years ago. I just wait for MSI to send out an email after all the latest lawsuits

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think a LOT of people, including RSOs and FFL dealers, are going to be insisting that your Ruger 10 22 needs to be locked in a case when you take it to the range.

It would be nice to know how to correct them.

We already hear enough incorrect information about Direct Travel and Transport of Loaded Magazines.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I think a LOT of people, including RSOs and FFL dealers, are going to be insisting that your Ruger 10 22 needs to be locked in a case when you take it to the range.

It would be nice to know how to correct them.

We already hear enough incorrect information about Direct Travel and Transport of Loaded Magazines.

Just another reason to not get information about gun laws from RSO’s or FFLs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My point is, how do we respond? What do we tell them? Is there someplace we can point them to, perhaps a reputable online source, that can straighten them out and dispel the confusion?

I can't think of one.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My point is, how do we respond? What do we tell them? Is there someplace we can point them to, perhaps a reputable online source, that can straighten them out and dispel the confusion?

I can't think of one.
    Most of the time it doesn't matter, they will not change what they believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom