• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    Unless I'm missing something (which I often do), HB824 has none of the sensitive places BS from SB1, no unloaded in vehicle BS, and no presumed no carry zone unless notified otherwise. Sure, it does double the fees and shorten the renewal time and require training for renewal, which all sucks, but SB1 looks to be the real horror story. I hope I'm right about this.
    Thank you!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    As an athletic guy, unless I carry appendix, it has to be something fairly small, or wear very loose clothing or just about anything will print under the right circumstances (stuff I would or could run in to in the every day). I realize I am more conscious about it than the average person would be looking at it. At least for me, appendix carry is uncomfortable sitting for any real length of time.

So at least for me, the possibility of losing my job if “caught” carrying, which could lead to a loss of house, marriage, access to my kids, and maybe getting imprisoned too weighing against the possibility I might need it some place I’d be banned….

Especially in the environment of living in one of the most liberal counties in this liberal as heck state makes it not remotely close to zero risk for carrying places SB1 tells me I can’t if it passes. As the likelihood some Karen would be aware of the law and immediately call the police on me or tell some store’s management who’d call police on me over a lifetime is probably reasonably high (more likely than not? Probably not. But high for what the consequences would be).

Heck, if I was retired, I’d probably care a lot less about it. In part figuring if I did get caught and prosecuted I’d maybe walk on a PBJ as a first time, or a nole pros, with no prior record. I don’t particularly want to spend anytime in jail prison, but as a worst case I may get jammed up for a few months and cost me thousands. That’d be pretty awful. But again, where I am in life, as a fed, I’d almost certainly lose my job and benefits. My wife doesn’t really like guns. She isn’t so disliking of them that she had a problem with me carrying up in Vermont recently, or getting my permit here. But if I “did something stupid” that got me in trouble with the law? On top of losing my job, That if I was in legal jeopardy long enough we lost the house or she had to go to family to beg for financial help so that we didn’t. Emptied retirement accounts to hold our head above water looking for a new job, etc. Yeah I could see how that could lead to loss of my marriage and limit how much I see my kids. But consequences with what I do and where I am in life.
    Understood. You do what's right for you.
    Personally, I'm done with it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wrap up from today 4/8/23 The House had SB1 on 3rd Reader in it's afternoon session. It also passed HB824 - the House version (not a cross-file) of SB1. There were 2 amendments offered by GOP for SB1 that were accepted as friendly amendments by the Jud Committee Chair Clippinger. I found that interesting. But he had a method to his madness as he then Special Ordered SB1 til Monday. While I am not certain, I anticipate a deal has been made with the Senate to let HB824 be this years "make law abiding citizens criminals" bill and they will nix SB1. It all seemed to smooth otherwise.
    If they are smart that’s what they’ll do. That gives a year for lawsuits to give everyone an idea of what might be allowed for sensitive places without MD testing those waters. Hb824 is already a crap show, but it’ll be an uphill battle for now on it. They can then claim they’ve done things. And will do more things harder next year.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    I no longer care what they do in Annapolis.

Their unConstitutional laws don’t apply to me or any other free American. I live my life as I see fit.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Unless I'm missing something (which I often do), HB824 has none of the sensitive places BS from SB1, no unloaded in vehicle BS, and no presumed no carry zone unless notified otherwise. Sure, it does double the fees and shorten the renewal time and require training for renewal, which all sucks, but SB1 looks to be the real horror story. I hope I'm right about this.
    Renewal time has been switched back to how it is currently.
    Crossed out on page one, with the 2 crossed out and 3 inserted on page 11.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I totally disagree. hb824 really changes nothing except the price and some qualification stuff.

sb 1 limits a whole lot of places that we can carry
    Since they liked to quote footnote 9...

"That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom