SB1 - Injunctive relief is provided for private property, locations that sell alcohol, and public demonstrations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Great idea!
    A short piece of chain wrapped around an ammo can with a luggage lock to the handle and you just put your ammo in a locked container. The real cheap locks all use the same key. The laws say a locked container not how long it can resist a burglar.

Chain:

Locks:
    Amazon product ASIN B08NF42J41

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A short piece of chain wrapped around an ammo can with a luggage lock to the handle and you just put your ammo in a locked container. The real cheap locks all use the same key. The laws say a locked container not how long it can resist a burglar.

Chain:

Locks:
    Amazon product ASIN B08NF42J41
    Dollar tree has plastic boxes and locks. For $2.50 you are good to go.

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    Taking a leap of assumption that said hypothetical person is going to/ from said Cindy Hot Shots , and doesn't have a W&C , and their route of travel only Includes B-W Parkway & rt 175 , tben probably not require locked case .

But yeah , I had to put enough caveats and assumptions into that statement .

So between now and December 31 , I'll be generous , and not accuse anyone of BGOS for transporting with locked case . Kind of a 90 day window for everyone to get up to speed , and learn all the sensitive boundaries .
    Careful on the B-W Parkway or any parkway, thats federal property, friend of mine stopped for an accident on B-W and when the US Park Police showed up he told him he had a carry permit and was armed.... the officer told him you know your on federal property right and are not suppose to be armed, then the officer said thanks for letting me know and went on about his business. my friend said he got the hell outta there

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Which begs the question, why wasn't carry in private property not open to the public part of the PI request? And open carry? Seems like an unforced error, if you're asking for the cake back why would you not ask for ALL the cake? As it is we only got a couple of (medium sized) slices.
    Because the vampire rule for dwellings is probably unwinnable for our side. There's no presumption of carry rights in areas that aren't open to the public.

The judge made a mistake in citing the law, but if you read the opinion that went with the order it's clear that he's only talking about businesses and other private property that's open to the public. We didn't lose the dwelling injunction because of a technicality, it was never intended to be enjoined. It was a clerical error that it temporarily was.

Would I prefer not having the vampire rule for dwellings? Absolutely. Would the courts help us out with that? Probably not. Also each added count had the possibility of pushing that opinion/order out past Oct 1. And some courts have wrongly decided it's best to keep the status quo rather than the status quo ante (status quo before the law was enacted), so more counts would add to the risk of not getting a PI at all.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Careful on the B-W Parkway or any parkway, thats federal property, friend of mine stopped for an accident on B-W and when the US Park Police showed up he told him he had a carry permit and was armed.... the officer told him you know your on federal property right and are not suppose to be armed, then the officer said thanks for letting me know and went on about his business. my friend said he got the hell outta there
    According to the NPS link below, you can carry a firearm on BW Parkway if you have a valid permit.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Pretty sure that cop was wrong. BW Pkwy is controlled by the National Park Service. It's a national park which means it's legal as long as it's legal in the state (carry in national parks in MD is legal).

Also, federal property generally needs to be posted for firearms to be prohibited: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/re...rally-banned-locations-for-carrying-firearms/

[Insert normal IANAL caveats]

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    As for the locked case rule I had Mark from MSI answer that on sunday at the MSI meeting.

For the simple answer, it only applies to guns in sensitive places. Problem is going to sensitive places with guns in general is already a NO NO.

Quote from MSI's page on SB1.
    -Firearms that are carried or transported in a motor vehicle if the firearm is locked in a container or handguns worn, carried, or transported in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5-307 of the Public Safety Article by those who permits to wear, carry or transport handguns have been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article. This does not affect transport of firearms under current law in areas unaffected by SB 1.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

And the USPP Ofc was incorrect .

B-W Parkway is NPS , and NPS follows the law of the surrounding state for Firearms Carry .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Incorrect.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Because the vampire rule for dwellings is probably unwinnable for our side. There's no presumption of carry rights in areas that aren't open to the public.

The judge made a mistake in citing the law, but if you read the opinion that went with the order it's clear that he's only talking about businesses and other private property that's open to the public. We didn't lose the dwelling injunction because of a technicality, it was never intended to be enjoined. It was a clerical error that it temporarily was.

Would I prefer not having the vampire rule for dwellings? Absolutely. Would the courts help us out with that? Probably not. Also each added count had the possibility of pushing that opinion/order out past Oct 1. And some courts have wrongly decided it's best to keep the status quo rather than the status quo ante (status quo before the law was enacted), so more counts would add to the risk of not getting a PI at all.

The State has no jurisdiction over private property rights therefore they cannot tell a homeowner that something that is otherwise legal isn’t allowed in their house. They have overstepped as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Pretty sure that cop was wrong. BW Pkwy is controlled by the National Park Service. It's a national park which means it's legal as long as it's legal in the state (carry in national parks in MD is legal).

[Insert normal IANAL caveats]

Where have you seen that carry in National Parks in MD was legal? Everything I've seen stated it was illegal to carry in any State or National Park in MD, unless it's a WMA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom