SB0281 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (aka, AWB)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    so, for a handgun

training class- cost ?
    live scan prints - cost?
    one handgun - $15? every five years?
    registration - $100 every five years? per gun?

trying to wrap my head around the cost. the pocketbook aspect will get fence sitters mobilized.

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    So currently owned handguns won't have to be registered, but currently owned "assault weapons" will?

For those of you talking non-compliance, doesn't the MSP already know you have an "assault weapon"? If you don't register won't they come collect?

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    http://constitutionalistoathkeepers.wordpress.com/gun-control-facts-gun-owners-foundation/

A lot of really good information on the 2nd amendment to give to them. Not that the bill of rights can be read and understood by a simple citizen like myself. You need a lawyer for that.

5D. States that "Officials cannot license or register a constitutional right" 1st amendment is the legal basis. I guess its not the same as driving a car (a privilege).

6E. Discussess how "The Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to own military rifles and handguns"

Clearly I am but a citizen and MOM will explain everything to me later.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Below is a (kinda crappy) flowchart from my interpretation of SB0281.

IANAL. Feedback/corrections welcome. As ERWOS said earlier in the thread, let's keep potential loopholes/contradictions in the actual bill out.

Please limit corrections/feedback to INTERPRETATION of the bill AS WRITTEN.

MD%20SB0281%20flowchart3.png

Man, this is awesome. I promise it will get used and abused, so please everyone make it work.

There are certainly areas they could have done things worse and things they just plain screwed up. Let's not talk about them.

Ahem.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    Safe to assume there won't be a handgun in stock anywhere in MD for the next 8 months.

I'm curious how stripped lowers will be dealt with, almost sounds like they'll have to be complete guns but doesn't write say that. And what components can be changed legally? Swapping an MOE for an ACS stock, etc? Probably assume barrel length and caliber are locked in, or would any change be illegal? Seems pretty ambiguous.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So currently owned handguns won't have to be registered, but currently owned "assault weapons" will?
    That seems to be the case. Note, however, that if you move into MD post-ban, you will need to register all of your handguns. (It says "regulated weapons", but you seem to be prohibited from possessing anything other than handguns.)

For those of you talking non-compliance, doesn't the MSP already know you have an "assault weapon"? If you don't register won't they come collect?
    There is some legitimate confusion about what exactly the state is expecting here. Do regulated guns that were bought in-state count as already being registered? There are clearly some non-regulated guns that would require registration, though, like Colt HBARs.

There is nothing in the registration language that seems to prohibit changing the configuration of the gun later on, so I wouldn't spend much time freaking out about that.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Sent another round of emails voicing my opposition on SB0281. Also guaranteed that supporters of the bill will lose my, my families, and my similarly opinioned friends' votes in their next election, wether it passes or not.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I may move to PA if this passes. However, I'm not going to worry now about registration, licensing or what is or is not covered by this proposed law. Instead, I'm going to re-read the Bill in detail so I can testify in an articulate manner, schedule time off of work to testify in Annapolis and try to encourage others (typically the hunters who think these laws don't affect them) to do the same. If this becomes law we can probably buy enough time to hold a referendum and push the date back. But in the meantime, let's fly our "Don't Tread on Me" flags and give these gun grabbers the best fight we've given. If I have to move to PA I will at least know that I did everything I possibly could.

BTW: The NRA $300 lifetime membership is still going strong.

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    Below is a (kinda crappy) flowchart from my interpretation of SB0281.

IANAL. Feedback/corrections welcome. As ERWOS said earlier in the thread, let's keep potential loopholes/contradictions in the actual bill out.

Please limit corrections/feedback to INTERPRETATION of the bill AS WRITTEN.

MD%20SB0281%20flowchart3.png

Man, this is awesome. My only observation is where it says, "Is it centerfire" and I say NO (an AR-22), it then says, "Is it a shotgun" and again, I would say NO. Then it says, "Is the barrel over 16", I would say YES, then it says OK

My point being my AR-22 uses black dog detach mags and a standard AR-15 lower. What would be the outcome in this case? I know you said this is a rough outline but wanted to see if anyone more proficient in law might be able to shed light on this.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    let me get this straight... if you are normally disallowed from owning a regulated firearm (under 21), you are also banned from possessing ammunition.

IE.... your son can't deer hunt. He can own a 30.06, but he can't own the cartridge to put in the chamber

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My point being my AR-22 uses black dog detach mags and a standard AR-15 lower. What would be the outcome in this case? I know you said this is a rough outline but wanted to see if anyone more proficient in law might be able to shed light on this.
    This is going to require MSP interpretation. No one is going to have a firm answer for you.

kjp1231

May 17, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Forgive me if this has been asked already...
    Is there a link with reference-able facts about why these laws won't work? I would like to include some of this information in my communication.

Thank you

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    let me get this straight... if you are normally disallowed from owning a regulated firearm (under 21), you are also banned from possessing ammunition.

IE.... your son can't deer hunt. He can own a 30.06, but he can't own the cartridge to put in the chamber

no that can't be right, Owe'Malley said he wasnt coming after hunters...:sarcasm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom