SB0281 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (aka, AWB)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Anyone notice that the training requirement is not required for "a member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard"? Page 21 Line 26/27. Would this also serve as a completed firearms training course for concealed carry?

Sorry my friend, that exception is in the current law. See the "[ " at the beginning of line 19, and the "]" at the end of line 31? Those mean that all text in between them is being deleted.

So yes, a guy/girl who just got out after x combat tours overseas will still need a "safety class" before they can buy a pistol to keep in their own home.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Kel-Tec Sub-2000s would be qualified as an "assault weapon" on two counts: semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a pistol grip, and a semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a length of under 30 inches.

I will sleep so much safer at night knowing that our state regulates these horrible weapons.

:sarcasm:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The training class is too expensive for the inner-city single mother to afford the "privilege" of defending her family. I know D.C. has an onerous requirement. This needs to be challenged.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    That's a great question, and I think only a couple people here would have anything approaching a credible answer. MSP has committed to follow the laws in place, and have been processing in good faith to this point, so I would suspect nothing would change until the law does. Of course, the courts can have an effect too.

As for the freaking out??? NO... Sit Stay!!!!

:D

This bill is just a bill like any other at this point. Sure it stinks like last week's kimchee, but it's such a huge and wide-ranging bill that it's going to be tough to pass, IMO.

We just need to keep up the pressure, spread the word, and keep up the pressure.

It is a typical MD bill. They double down only then to come back with a less "draconian" bill that "seems" reasonable compared to this one but still is worse than anything we could have imagined to pass. Something like fees cut in half and the time period to registered your "evval" weapons doubled.....

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    So...the cost (which I didn't even mention) is about $300 initially (aprox $200 for an 8 hour course and $100 for 5 year permit) and then $20.00 a year after that when there wasn't a permit now. I'm sure the thugs in west baltimore will comply with these requirements.

Spatha

Sep 17, 2011
    AA County
    Well at least the emails are going through. I just received this reply.

"Thank you for your email regarding gun legislation.

As a long-time supporter of second amendment rights, please know that I will carefully consider any proposed legislation, and be mindful of your opposition to any bills limiting gun rights.

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me by phone at (410) 841-3593 or by email at james.degrange@senate.state.md.us.

Sincerely,

James "Ed" DeGrange, Sr.
    State Senator, District 32
    James Senate Office Building
    11 Bladen Street, Room 101
    Annapolis, Maryland 21401
    (410)-841-3593
    (410)-841-3589 (fax)
    James.DeGrange@senate.state.md.us"

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Correct. None of it takes effect until 10/1/2013.

MSP isn't going to stop processing applications. They've recently hired more people to do them. It's just, you know, selling a hojillion regulated guns in a month is creating a backlog.

Of course, now we're going to have a run on handguns in MD, too. Time to buy that Glock 17 before I've got to be fingerprinted like a criminal for it. :-P

Thank you for your answers here, appreciated it. I guess all I am going to say is 2 things, I am glad I purchased all I purchased this year before this B.S., and I should be a rich man in a few months, since I will stop purchasing once this ban goes into effect. I'm not going to subject myself to all these additional requirements, just to purchase a handgun.

You know, wasn't the argument for good and substantial not being fair, was due to the fact that it essentially discriminated towards law abiding citizens. I'm sure I stated that entirely wrong, but my point was that the G&S made it so that not everyone had the same basic freedoms. I would think parts of this bill also fall under that same mindset.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Today's email to the full GA:
    I'm writing today to express my opinion on the proposed SB 281 the "Firearms Safety Act." This is a horrible bill that needs to be buried as deeply as possible. No gun is inherently evil, yet this bill specifically calls for banning the sale of certain guns if they have one of many features that are largely cosmetic.

Nothing in this world is inherently good or evil. The actions of an individual are what make items good or evil. It is not right to punish law abiding citizens for the crimes of others. The ability to use something to break a law is not reason enough to make it illegal altogether. If that were the case, it would be illegal to own a car that was capable of going more then 65mph. Every new car sold in this country is capable of going 100mph, yet it isn't legal to do so on public roads.

No bill that restricts law abiding citizens is a good bill. Whether I live in your district or not, if you support this bill I will actively campaign against you in your next election. I'll spend my hard earned money to support your opponents and make sure your constituents know you do not support their rights.

Thank you for your time, and I hope if you were thinking of supporting this bill you will change your mind and instead support the rights of the people of Maryland.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    If I read this right, handguns currently in your possession would not need to be registered and the handgun permit would only be necessary for new purchases, essentially grandfathering all current handgun owners. Is that right?

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    This bill is like a gut punch to gun owners. It took my breath away. We cannot let it pass.

I did not read the NY bill to understand it in entirety but am blown away at this one.

I certainly hope that there is not enough support for something like this, otherwise I need to move prior to Oct 1 of this year. I am sending away the letters, preparing to stand and present my case in Annapolis, making calls, etc. but as I am sure they intended, this is quite a blow to the 2nd amendment.

I will fight the good fight, but man I don't get emotional about things or even let them get under my skin but I would be lying to myself if I didn't realize that I may have to move because of the bs in this bill. :sad20:

My inbox is now full of auto-replies :rolleyes:

Yup same here!!

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Well at least the emails are going through. I just received this reply.

"Thank you for your email regarding gun legislation.

As a long-time supporter of second amendment rights, please know that I will carefully consider any proposed legislation, and be mindful of your opposition to any bills limiting gun rights.

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me by phone at (410) 841-3593 or by email at james.degrange@senate.state.md.us.

Sincerely,

James "Ed" DeGrange, Sr.
    State Senator, District 32
    James Senate Office Building
    11 Bladen Street, Room 101
    Annapolis, Maryland 21401
    (410)-841-3593
    (410)-841-3589 (fax)
    James.DeGrange@senate.state.md.us"
    What tool did you use? AGC or the K-state tool?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If I read this right, handguns currently in your possession would not need to be registered and the handgun permit would only be necessary for new purchases, essentially grandfathering all current handgun owners. Is that right?
    Yep. Retroactive licensing was deemed politically toxic and unworkable by our overlords in Annapolis.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

Correct. You only need a license for new purchases, and you don't have to register handguns if they're not on the "assault weapon" list(s).

A related question is transfers. Assuming this passed as currently written, and you owned a registered "assault weapon" after the deadline, can you transfer it to another MD resident or no? I didn't see anything about this specifically mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom