• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Unless I am wrong and there is previous case law, I would take it the same way MDSPLD does HBAR. Is it labeled?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is museum defined in Maryland law? I am wondering because I am planning to head to the Baltimore aquarium soon. And of all of the places I'd go I'd want to carry, well there, meh. To and from there, yeah. And I am guessing you could probably stretch the aquarium to be considered a museum. And yeah, I know concealed means concealed and all that.
    Museum is not defined, I am guessing it would have to have the word "museum" in the name, but then again, this is Maryland and any County SA could charge you with whatever they want based on how they feel that day. Likewise, since the law is si vague, it benefits us as well in the same way.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Museum is not defined, I am guessing it would have to have the word "museum" in the name, but then again, this is Maryland and any County SA could charge you with whatever they want based on how they feel that day. Likewise, since the law is si vague, it benefits us as well in the same way.
    Yes it is defined in the new lesson plans for instructors. I will have to look to find the law but museums are off limits.

TD

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Correct, the only time the word Museum is used it under the definition of a special purpose area
    Yes it is defined in the new lesson plans for instructors. I will have to look to find the law but museums are off limits.

TD
    Yes they are off limits but there is no definition that spells out what they are. So Yes as Dan said if it has Museum in the name, it hard to say it does not apply. Now something like the Walters Art gallery, does not have museum in its name but obviously is.

Again to under stand what they meant, they where trying to use it during the general session statements last year to cover where kids are learning or seeing art type things.

Attachments

• museum.jpg
      museum.jpg
      124.3 KB · Views: 25

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Correct, the only time the word Museum is used it under the definition of a special purpose area

Yes they are off limits but there is no definition that spells out what they are. So Yes as Dan said if it has Museum in the name, it hard to say it does not apply. Now something like the Walters Art gallery, does not have museum in its name but obviously is.

Again to under stand what they meant, they where trying to use it during the general session statements last year to cover where kids are learning or seeing art type things.
    A grey area that could be unpleasant

TD

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

TD
    Read what I wrote, Museums ARE NOT defined in State Statute. Lesson plans are NOT State Statute, and will NOT hold up in court. I never said that museums weren't off limits, just that they were not defined in State Statute.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Thanks for the assist in posting the State Statute.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Read what I wrote, Museums ARE NOT defined in State Statute. Lesson plans are NOT State Statute, and will NOT hold up in court. I never said that museums weren't off limits, just that they were not defined in State Statute.
    4-111 was what I was referring to, and contrary to what some think I can read. I understand the definition of a museum is not in the law, but "museum" is.

What if I open up a firearms museum?

TD

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    4-111 was what I was referring to, and contrary to what some think I can read. I understand the definition of a museum is not in the law, but "museum" is.

What if I open up a firearms museum?

TD
    You stated "Yes it is defined in the new lesson plans for instructors. I will have to look to find the law but museums are off limits."

The new lesson plan does not equal 4-111.

And while museum is indeed in the statute, a definition is not and again, which what the question was, and my answer to.

If you open a firearms museum, carry is not permitted there. It's not that hard, the new laws do not ban firearms, they ban the carry and transport of firearms in certain areas.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    You stated "Yes it is defined in the new lesson plans for instructors. I will have to look to find the law but museums are off limits."

The new lesson plan does not equal 4-111.

And while museum is indeed in the statute, a definition is not and again, which what the question was, and my answer to.

If you open a firearms museum, carry is not permitted there. It's not that hard, the new laws do not ban firearms, they ban the carry and transport of firearms in certain areas.
    You obviously didn’t get that the firearms museum comment was a joke. Prob best this conversation comes to a close.

TD

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    From National Aquarium website:

“Weapons—including firearms, ammunition, knives, sharp tools or instruments, mace/pepper spray or other chemical weapons—are strictly prohibited.”

It is the last item on the page below:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You obviously didn’t get that the firearms museum comment was a joke. Prob best this conversation comes to a close.

TD
    Sorry, missed the sarcasm (it's been a long day and I should probably just shut up and go to bed).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

“Weapons—including firearms, ammunition, knives, sharp tools or instruments, mace/pepper spray or other chemical weapons—are strictly prohibited.”

It is the last item on the page below:

That's nice, currently has no force of law.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD

Is there a difference between "strictly prohibited" and simply "prohibited"? Always bothered me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom