Sawmill that sells rough cut lumber in Southern Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I am looking to purchase a trailer load of rough cut 2x4 and barn siding to build a chicken coop. Does anyone know of a lumber yard in the Southern Maryland area, preferably close to the Hughesville and Mechanicsville area that sells rough cut lumber?

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013
    Theres an Amish sawmill off of 236 on Woodburn Hill rd on right that was the cheapest and best around

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    There are two Amish mills on 236 and I have bought from both of them. For a coop, I would be looking at pine or popular for the outside in board and batten which will seal up the cracks nicely.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I have gone to a few different Amish sawmills, I was fencing the property and 1"X6"X12' oak fence boards were $5. When they didn't have any they would give me directions down a dirt road nearby to their nephew's place to get more. We did all our fencing from them on cedar posts and built out our stalls with 2X6 poplar rough cut and oak posts. this was 15 years ago and I like building with rough cut much better than dimensional lumbar.

Steve

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    There are two Amish mills on 236 and I have bought from both of them. For a coop, I would be looking at pine or popular for the outside in board and batten which will seal up the cracks nicely.

That's the plan, pine or popular rough cut 2x4 will be plenty strong enough for framing a medium sized chicken coop for 10-12 egg-laying chickens with board and batten siding on the outside.

I have gone to a few different Amish sawmills, I was fencing the property and 1"X6"X12' oak fence boards were $5. When they didn't have any they would give me directions down a dirt road nearby to their nephew's place to get more. We did all our fencing from them on cedar posts and built out our stalls with 2X6 poplar rough cut and oak posts. this was 15 years ago and I like building with rough cut much better than dimensional lumbar.

Steve

Me too - I like the look and feel of out buildings built with rough cut lumber.

The only problem I see is Southern Maryland is infested with those damn carpenter bees. Will Thompson's Water Sealer or something similar be safe for chickens and keep those buggers from boring holes in the wood?

FWGVIJRH1QMLABU.LARGE.jpg

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    They will go after painted and sealed wood, even treated isn't safe. I don't worry about them much anymore, they usually reuse the same holes. You can also factor in a sacrificial board for the eaves that isn't structural that they can get into but you can replace if it gets bad

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    That's the plan, pine or popular rough cut 2x4 will be plenty strong enough for framing a medium sized chicken coop for 10-12 egg-laying chickens with board and batten siding on the outside
    You may want to check with planning and zoning first..it may need a permit and rough cut won't pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom