• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill

Mar 14, 2008
    Ocean City, MD
    I'm looking into getting a .308 Rifle for some long range shooting, and I can't decide between the 10FP or the 700P (Both LE models).

Anyone have any experience with either and have an opinion? I'm sure the Savage is relatively cheaper (which could put funds towards a nice Leupold scope)...but I'm not sure what the shooting difference would be between the two.

Thanks ahead of time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Bill, the Savage is a great bargain and they shoot amazingly well. Two rifles, off the shelf, I'd bet on the Savage beating the Remington. They are also easy to work on yourself, and one can swap barrels out really easily due to the barrel nut system.

That said, one has to like their looks and feel, which I do not. I'm a Remington guy, but must admit that the "Salvage" ( ;) )is a great rifle for the money/level of involvement.

I have a Remington .308 LTR that shoots great, but, the limited velocities available with the 20" barrel make it very challenging to shoot at ranges exceeding 600-700 yards, though I do stretch it to 1,200 from time to time. The 26" guns will be more useful at longer ranges due to the greater initial velocities that produce better drift & drop figures. Most of the guys I shoot with are running 26" rifles for long range, regardless of caliber or maker.

Mdman

Aug 21, 2007
    denver
    I would say that both guns are equal in quality from the factory. with good ammo sub MOA shooting should not be a problem. However if you plan on altering your rifle, I would suggest getting the 700 as there are just more parts for them.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    i have a remington 700PSS. love it. many deer have fallen to that rifle. best is 560yards this year.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I have a Savage 10fp in .308. I couldn't be happier. Much more accurate than me, and I've had no problems with it. I'm looking at a 300 win-mag, and am leaning towards the Savage. If you ever want to catch up and put some rounds through it, just send me a pm, and we can meet up.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a savage 10FP choate, and love it, 168gr fed GMM shoots about 1" at 100yds reliably in most conditions, handloads can get well under that. Both are very good rifles, with the savage normally a little cheaper, stock upgrades from the factory (choate, hs precision, mcmillan), and a better trigger. The remington has just about every aftermarket upgrade on the planet for it. I would say out of the box accuracy is comprable between the two, but the savage tends to be a little more forgiving, and easier to shoot with, of course the 700 can easily surpass it with some work and upgrades. The savage also has a quick change barrel, and even caliber can be swapped fairly easily with a barrel at minimum, and a bolt head at most. More or less, if you want an out-of-the-box rifle that is easy to use, with a benchrest or thumbhole type stock, and don't really want to spend a lot on upgrades, then the savage is the way to go, if you want a rifle with a "traditional" stock, have solid marksmanship fundamentals and want a rifle that can be built practically without limits (funds permitting), then the 700 will serve you well

Bill

Mar 14, 2008
    Ocean City, MD
    Well, I think I'm going to go with the Savage 10FCP (McMillen Stock I think?). I want to buy a Rifle and use it.

I don't really want to spend an ass load of money upgrading it.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I'm very happy with my remington 700 pss, I shot several sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards this past friday with it, and haven't shot it in prob over a year. that was with 168 grain federal gold medal match ammo.

Mdman

Aug 21, 2007
    denver
    oh and a thought, unless you realy want to go .308, any chance I could convince you to go the .260 remington way?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    No. I'm set on .308

What's the Choate stock feel like? It looks "odd".

I like the choate stock, it has a rail under the forearm with a bipod adapter/swivel stud, so the bi-pod can be easily slid front to back, or even removed. There is also a third knob under the rear of the stock that can be screwed in and out for elevation adjustment, basically the rifle has a built in benchrest, the stock is fairly comfortable, and includes LOP and comb height peices in a few sizes, so it can be made to fit anyone by just screwing in a spacer, and it had a fairly substantial aluminum bedding block that helps keep the stock very rigid and consistent. The stock and rifle weigh a TON, so a deer rifle it ain't, but recoil is light, and even firing a couple hundred rounds in one session is more than comfortable. This is basically a stock geared twards prone or bench shooting, and for that it is about ideal, basically factor a good bipod and the 1 piece farrel scope base into the price, as both are must have's for this rifle. (savage.com normally has the best price on the farrel mount)

try 168gr or 175gr federal GMM ammo, and with decent glass, you should get some amazing groups with it out of the box. If you are anywhere near Westminster let me know, and I can meet up at Hap over the weekend and you can try mine out if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom