• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    Subscribe to this thread to keep up-to-date with the Tactical Shotgun Matches at Sanners Lake.

Open to the public!

Tactical Shotgun and .22LR Rimfire Rifle Match
    Sanners Lake Sportsmans Club (21375 Sanners Lane Lexington Park, MD 20653)
    http://www.sannerslake.org/
    Saturday January 17, 2015
    10 am (Gate open 9:15-9:45 am)

3 stages of tactical shotgun along with 1 stage of .22LR rimfire rifle. Tactical shotgun stages will consist of steel targets with up to 25 targets per stage. The popular “Walk and Stalk” stage to be included. Reloads are on the clock and minimum of 6 round capacity (no maximum limit on capacity) for shotgun is strongly suggested. #7.5, 8 or 9 shot permitted. Distance of shotgun targets - no closer than 10 yds (steel targets) but not much more due to space limitations.

Rimfire rifle stage will be shot with a magazine fed rifle and will consist of 10 steel targets with a maximum of 10 shots (no makeups, no stop plate) – 5 strings to be shot. Bring 5 magazines for the rimfire rifle stages, if you have them, for efficiency. .22LR rifle targets about 15 yds. Like the standard rimfire steel set up we have at Sanners.

Each stage will consist of a single firearm – no combination stages.

Rimfire rifle stage will be scored separately but match price remains the same whether the stage is shot or not. If you need a loaner .22LR rifle let Tom know, just provide your own ammo.

8 RO’s are needed and will shoot from 9-10 am with their match fee waived. $10 for Sanners members; $15 for non-members. Match begins after the safety brief at 10 am and ROs have finished shooting.

Steel staging Friday and final set-up Saturday morning. Please contact Tom Slater if you can help set up and/or RO. His contact info is included on the Eventbrite signup page. Need 8 RO’s and 20 shooters to hold this event. Inclement weather/lack of participation call will be made by Thursday evening. Sign up at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tactical-shotgun-match-tickets-15102542110

Post or contact Tom Slater if you have questions.

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Subscribe to this thread to keep up-to-date with the Tactical Shotgun Matches at Sanners Lake.

Tactical Shotgun and .22LR Rimfire Rifle Match
    Saturday January 17, 2015
    10 am (Gate open 9:15-9:45 am)

3 stages of tactical shotgun along with 1 stage of .22LR rimfire rifle. Tactical shotgun stages will consist of steel targets with up to 25 targets per stage. The popular “Walk and Stalk” stage to be included. Reloads are on the clock and minimum of 6 round capacity for shotgun is strongly suggested. #7.5, 8 or 9 shot permitted.

Rimfire rifle stage will be shot with a magazine fed rifle and will consist of 10 steel targets with a maximum of 10 shots (no makeups, no stop plate) – 5 strings to be shot. Bring 5 magazines for the rimfire rifle stages, if you have them, for efficiency. Each stage will consist of a single firearm – no combination stages.

8 RO’s are needed and will shoot from 9-10 am with their match fee waived. $10 for Sanners members; $15 for non-members. Match begins after the safety brief at 10 am and ROs have finished shooting.

Steel staging Friday and final set-up Saturday morning. Please contact Tom Slater if you can help set up and/or RO. His contact info is included on the Eventbrite signup page. Need 8 RO’s and 20 shooters to hold this event. Inclement weather/lack of participation call will be made by Thursday evening. Sign up at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tactical-shotgun-match-tickets-15102542110

Post or contact Tom Slater if you have questions.
    What is the max capacity of a shotgun?

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    Additional details for match

Confirmed no limit on capacity for the shotgun.

Distance of shotgun targets - no closer than 10 yds (steel targets) but not much more due to space limitations.

.22LR rifle targets about 15 yds. Like the standard rimfire steel set up we have at Sanners.

Rimfire stage will be scored separately. If you need a loaner .22LR rifle let Tom know, just bring the ammo.

Match price $10 members; $15 non-members regardless if you shoot rimfire or not - one price.

kmc5019

Jan 9, 2015
    New shooter

I'm planning to attend for the first time. I don't have a .22 rifle so I'll need to use a loaner, but I've coordinated that already. Aside from my shotgun and ammo for both firearms, is there anything else I should bring?

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    What to bring

Glad to have a new shooter coming out! Don't stress over having the perfect equipment the first time out - just get out here, see what others use, have fun and come back out again! It's addictive!

You'll need some way to carry extra rounds for loading the shotgun. This can be in your pocket, a skeet pouch, a bandolier, or specialized holders used in 3-gun type matches. You just want to be able to get to them quickly and avoid dropping them all over the place.

Dress for the weather - toe warmers and hand warmers are great!!!

Any other suggestions from other shooters on things to bring?

BonnieNoClyde

Oct 30, 2014
    Southern MD
    See you Saturday!

There are enough shooters and ROs for the match on Saturday and weather looks good (for January). Sign up is still open so join us if you can.

Grumpy41

Jan 5, 2008
    Calvert County
    All,

I would like to thank Tom for setting this match up and all the RO's that made the match happen. Based on our experiences in other matches, all future Tactical Shotgun matches the RO's will be paired up with the squads and we all shoot together like today. This will allow us to get started at 0900 and be done earlier.

The scores are attached and as indicated on the score sheet, each miss was 5 seconds and the swinger was 10 seconds if it did not "Loop". Also, squad 4 only shoot Pit 2 once when it was supposed to be 2 strings. To allow scoring I consulted and we agreed to just allow your string 1 score to be also your string 2 score.

Hope you all enjoyed the match. Scores are attached.

r/

Attachments

• Sanners 17 Jan 2015 Tactical Shotgun Match Scores.pdf
      267.6 KB · Views: 122

no_nickname

Oct 1, 2012
    Thanks Tom and ROs for a great day!! Tons of fun and I can't wait for the next one.

Next match I saw on the calendar was Sunday Nov 22. Are there any planned for before that?

MrRogers

Jan 12, 2015
    Great Mills, MD
    Had a fantastic time. A great learning experience since I've never shot in this type of match before. Will definitely be there at the next match.

Now I need to buy a new shotgun ;). Thinking of a fn slp mk. 1

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    What were people's thoughts on the Rimfire Rifle stage at yesterday's match?

kind of an odd pairing, but very fun to shoot.

I liked the 2 SG stages that we got to shoot twice instead of once.

I didn't see the dreaded texas star. I was looking forward to it.

woods walk was great as usual, but it was tough to see steel move at some distances (IMHO through my near-sighted eyes). if possible, all clay pigeons on the woods walk would make it clear if it's a hit or not.

looking forward to the next one.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I agree .22 rifle seems an unlikely companion stage at a tactical shotgun match, but I imagine the thinking is that everyone has a .22 they can bring, and I doubt anyone would complain about getting to shoot another stage. Adding a handgun stage, maybe bowling pins, instead of the .22, would make for a nice change next time.

I understand having a different class for pumps and semi-autos; no doubt the semi has a slight speed advantage on the pump. The truly huge competitive edge, however, is between the detachable mag shotguns and the tube feds, especially in stages with 25-30 targets.

All the matches I have seen at Sanner's have been universally well-run and officiated. They make it look easy, although I know it takes a great deal of work and planning to make things go so smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom