• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo

there will be no non-ruskie speed reloads done with this AK, that will be true for the SGL if i ever repaint it as well...lol

also...its not changing, it just isint done yet :lol2:

still to come, leupold optics, MI side mount, and a black pistol grip (same type though)...oh, and its own bipod so i dont have to borrow it off of the SGL as well (yea, the grip and side mount are off the SGL lol...)

edit: oh yea, and the BHO is installed and works great...i cut down the tab so it does not get in the way of the trigger...when holding the bolt the tab is flush with the reciever, when its not it only hangs down about 1/8" as you can see in the second pic.

Great work man!! How many evolutions has this thing been through, hope you keeping a photo album for its growth.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You guys are assholes lmfao...

I think i do have pictures of it at most of the stages actually

It's taken you THIS LONG to finally realize that?!?! :lol2:

Now we just got to find you those 'Holy-Grail' Green Bake-lite mags and furniture and you'll be all set.

(of course finding green bake-lite is like finding an honest politician, it's rumored to exist, but it'll probably never be found by us...)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    So i wish i could have contributed to this thread but i didnt see your mi rail yesterday. I was kinda overwhelmed helping my buddies do their first time ar builds. I was barely able to find my stuff. The one thing i saw was a knockoff but the show may be worth you checking out.

Honestly i would get the mi rails for this too bc its slowly becoming an ar, yes i am an *******, ask my gf shell tell you.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    :rofl: Just felt like being mean.:sign13:

:lol: what else is new? :innocent0 lol

It's taken you THIS LONG to finally realize that?!?! :lol2:

Now we just got to find you those 'Holy-Grail' Green Bake-lite mags and furniture and you'll be all set.

(of course finding green bake-lite is like finding an honest politician, it's rumored to exist, but it'll probably never be found by us...)

does taking a sharpie to some normal baklite count? =P

So i wish i could have contributed to this thread but i didnt see your mi rail yesterday. I was kinda overwhelmed helping my buddies do their first time ar builds. I was barely able to find my stuff. The one thing i saw was a knockoff but the show may be worth you checking out.

Honestly i would get the mi rails for this too bc its slowly becoming an ar, yes i am an *******, ask my gf shell tell you.

damn, oh well...

no goddamn rail systems lol...i think just about everyone knows how i feel about that lol

for kicks, heres a bunch of pictures throughout the process...

Attachments

• s223.jpg
      s223.jpg
      94.2 KB · Views: 110
    • s223nk.jpg
      s223nk.jpg
      29.2 KB · Views: 110
    • thread11.jpg
      thread11.jpg
      78.4 KB · Views: 107
    • s2231.jpg
      s2231.jpg
      123.2 KB · Views: 112
    • s2235.jpg
      s2235.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 112
    • s223x3.jpg
      s223x3.jpg
      111.9 KB · Views: 109
    • newpoint.jpg
      newpoint.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 115
    • s223x4.jpg
      s223x4.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 108
    • s223x6.jpg
      s223x6.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 109

Ar1b3nz

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Apr 18, 2011
    NOVA
    Nice work Nemesis, have you been doing the paint work yourself or is something other than paint?

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Nice work Nemesis, have you been doing the paint work yourself or is something other than paint?

Yea its paint...the black paint was shit, was 2000* paint, yet even after a 1 hour bake at 350 and another 30 min at 300 it still melted off the barrel under calm fire. The grey wsd a temp color, good paint but just temp...this is now the final color

Spoon

Oct 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    Looks like I'm really late to this party, but I did do a search on Saiga 223s and was wondering which company did you buy from? Seems there are a couple reputable companies making them (unless I misread). Any tips you could give me for someone in the market?

A reply here or pm would be just fine :-)

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Looks like I'm really late to this party, but I did do a search on Saiga 223s and was wondering which company did you buy from? Seems there are a couple reputable companies making them (unless I misread). Any tips you could give me for someone in the market?

A reply here or pm would be just fine :-)

there are alot of companies who sell saiga rifles...but only one makes them, izmash over in russia. they are imported over into the us then other companies buy and sell them to us. so one bought from here is as good as one bought from there...the only difference is the price.

i believe i got mine from centerifre systems awhile back...some people say they sometimes will have issues shipping to MD but i didnt have any problems. atlantic firearms is really good from what i hear, my next may come from them.

Spoon

Oct 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    there are alot of companies who sell saiga rifles...but only one makes them, izmash over in russia. they are imported over into the us then other companies buy and sell them to us. so one bought from here is as good as one bought from there...the only difference is the price.

i believe i got mine from centerifre systems awhile back...some people say they sometimes will have issues shipping to MD but i didnt have any problems. atlantic firearms is really good from what i hear, my next may come from them.

+1 for Atlantic! They extended an MDShooters discount to me that cancelled out the sales tax. Shipping was cheap and fast.

Thanks for the quick info... Hopefully funds will be open for me to make a purchase in the next couple of weeks.... I like this platform...:thumbsup:

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    All these pics make me want to do a proper handgrip conversion on my 223 saiga. I did just the Tapco stock with collapsible stock. Will update in a few week to months. :)

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    The collapsible stock is good, just looks a little bit quirky compared to a proper mod where you have to move the trigger assembly. The tapco stock is one piece with the grip.:D

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Sorry, meant front grip, it's got a very different look that I kinda dig.

The one thing I'm sure about changing is the butt stock. I haven't decided whether I'm going to put a fixed one that's big enough for my 6' 2" frame, or a collapsible one that my 5'4" girlfriend can use. I kinda want to go for a desert tan style.

Also not sure whether I'm going to do the full movement of the trigger group, or just get one if the new pistol grip stocks actually designed for the saiga. Other than the increased options with stocks and pistol grips, are there any other real advantages to the conversion? Especially since I'm not going for a "classic ak" look.

I used (and like) the whole tapco setup that leaves the trigger group. I'm 6'3"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom