• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    I have a safe (about 500 pounds) that needs to be moved from Waldorf to Lexington Park. Anyone know of someone that can do that?

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    Typically, with a couple of stout friends you can do it yourself. I recently moved a 600 lbs safe using two other guys, a pickup, a rental heavy appliance dolly and a few additional cargo straps just for extra security. Took us about a hour from off the truck, down a basement walkout and into place. Drilling the anchor holes and bolting down took about another hour.

All said, cost me $25 for the dolly rental and a couple six packs of beer.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    You can do it yourself (with some help) if you are in reasonably good shape. I am in my late 40's, 6'-0," and 215lbs. (yeah, I know, I need to lose 20lbs). I recently picked up a new safe - 510lbs. The store employee and myself tilted it into the back of my truck, and I slid it in on a heavy moving blanket - no big deal. I unloaded it in my garage myself. Use the truck tail gate as a fulcrum - provided its in good shape - or remove the gate and use the edge of the bed. If I didn't have stairs to deal with a heavy appliance dolly would have been all I needed to move it into the house. Unfortunately, I had 18 steps to deal with. I rented an 850lb capacity stair climber from Sunbelt ($100), and moved it upstairs solo, and into the house and into final position - all in about an hour. Caveat - if you go this route do a trial run with the Stair Climber without a load, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone else around to help - but do not under any circumstances put that helper under the safe on the stairs using a stair climber. The stair climber relies on a moving load relative to the hand truck and therefore has a variable fulcrum that changes the leverage you can exert on the load. Have them help from above. If you have four guys, and a regular heavy hand truck, 3 guys on the bottom lifting with 1 on top guiding would be okay. Good luck, any doubts, get a pro.

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    No steps. We are flexible. It is in my garage now and has to go to an apartment in Lexington Park. I have a bad back and my friend has a bad knee. We moved one and decided it was safer to get it moved.

Jan 8, 2013
    Moved an 800lb cannon a couple months ago with 4 guys and an appliance dolly. Down 5 stairs, onto the trailer, then about 100 feet over grass and brick, and up another 5 stairs.

Was a lot easier than I expected.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Next time (cause now I need a bigger safe) I am going to get help. I bought a safe (400lbs) from Costco and moved it myself and I already experienced the joy of back surgery. The fun part was taking it down a hill on a dolly. If you can afford it, hire somebody qualified and insured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom