• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thompson looks nice, but they also look expensive. I am trying to avoid going much over $2k here, albeit that may not be realistic.

They have some under $2K.

But what is the value of what you are putting into it? :)

minuit

Nov 10, 2015
    Frederick County
    Definitely go in and take a look.

When first shopping for a safe I was just looking at the big box store safes, there is a *huge* difference between the safes at Thompson's.

He has Safe Guard, Superior Safe Co, Summit & Graffunder in his showroom that you can take a look at.

Ordered mine the other day and should be installed in a few weeks.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    I know you said no Waldorf dealer, but Carolina Safes is a good place owned by good people. I'm sure they will deliver to you, because they do safe moving all over the east coast. Lots of product on hand. Liberty, Browning, Ft Knox were in stock when I went shopping. Got a Browning 30" "Silver" delivered for around what you were looking to pay. It's 11 ga. rated to 90 minutes fire (as I recall), is lighted, has the indent in the door for a couple scoped rifles and a few other goodies. Not the best out there, but the best I could fit in my space and budget. Highly recommend, even though they aren't on MDS.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I know you said no Waldorf dealer, but Carolina Safes is a good place owned by good people. I'm sure they will deliver to you, because they do safe moving all over the east coast. Lots of product on hand. Liberty, Browning, Ft Knox were in stock when I went shopping. Got a Browning 30" "Silver" delivered for around what you were looking to pay. It's 11 ga. rated to 90 minutes fire (as I recall), is lighted, has the indent in the door for a couple scoped rifles and a few other goodies. Not the best out there, but the best I could fit in my space and budget. Highly recommend, even though they aren't on MDS.

They no longer sell Ft. Knox :-(

Anyone know anyone that does?

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    AI Sales (an IP here) sells Fort Knox safes. There is also a guy called Steve based in VA who sells FK safes. He is always there at the Dulles gun show and I can pull up his information if you are interested. I too am deliberating between getting a FK safe or a Superior Safe from Thompson's. I've been to his store in Frederick and he has a few safes out there that I was able to check out. I honestly cannot tell if there is a difference between a FK and a Superior safe (with the same specifications) and I've not been able to find any side-by-side reviews of the two types of safes. The Superior safes seem to be slightly less expensive than the FK safe. But a reasonable size safe from either company will cost around $2000-2500.

Finally, both Steve in VA and Thompson's will deliver the safe and set them up in your house. From what I recall, A1 Sales contracts out the delivery to another company, but that might have changed in the year since I last talked to them.

I hope that this helps.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom