• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I am looking to tap into the vast knowledge on this site. :D

I have a friend with a Smith and Wesson 5 shot revolver chambered in .32S&W Serial#: 398823 and he is looking for manufacture date on this firearm. It has supposedly been in his family for years and has a number of fish stories associated with it dating back to prohibition.

Does anyone have anyway to lookup the serial, or is there a way for me to check on it? I told him pics would help.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    My go-to site doesn't have S&W on there. It doesn't look like the info is available online. You could try writing to S&W. They could probably tell you what you want to know.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" third edition and it lists the year of manufacture by serial number. I'm at work right now but I'll try to look it up tonight and let you know.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    On a related topic, I sent a request to SW with my $50 fee for a history/authentification letter on a Victory revolver close to five months ago. Anybody do this, and if so, how long does it usually take to get a response from SW? Thanks.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I have the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" third edition and it lists the year of manufacture by serial number. I'm at work right now but I'll try to look it up tonight and let you know.

Thank you!

I'll also tell my friend to contact S&W if he wants more info.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Anymore specifics? Is it a break top or a swing out cylinder...barrel length, etc....pic would help, too.

Swing out cylinder is all I have right now. I have shot it, but it has been about 3 years. Seem to remember about a 3 inch barrel. He's supposed to be getting me pics.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Looks like a .32 Hand Ejector Third Model.....Made from 1911-1942. If I had to guess from the serial number, I would date it from the late 20s to early 1930s.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    On a related topic, I sent a request to SW with my $50 fee for a history/authentification letter on a Victory revolver close to five months ago. Anybody do this, and if so, how long does it usually take to get a response from SW? Thanks.

I can't recall when I sent such a request to Roy Jinks, the S&W Historian, but I do remember that it took an awfully long time to get a response. I had been advised that a delay would be likely, so was expecting one, but it took longer than I thought it would. I think your 5 month wait is not out of the ordinary for this process. Hold on for another couple of months...

By the way, my request was for a .38 Victory Model as well.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Sorry I did not get home until late last night and forgot to pull the book. I'll make myself a note and try to look it up tonight. From the pics it looks like a 4 or 5 screw depending if there is a screw in the trigger guard.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I can't recall when I sent such a request to Roy Jinks, the S&W Historian, but I do remember that it took an awfully long time to get a response. I had been advised that a delay would be likely, so was expecting one, but it took longer than I thought it would. I think your 5 month wait is not out of the ordinary for this process. Hold on for another couple of months...

By the way, my request was for a .38 Victory Model as well.

Thanks for the info.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I finally got a chance to look this up in my book. Unfortunately, this particular model as not well defined by serial number to date of manufactured. By the serial number, it is a .32 hand ejector 3rd model. Possibly a model 30 or 31. It was manufactured between 1917 and 1942. Except for the serial number, it is identical to the 1903 fifth change model. The book lists prices as follows: ANIB $700 ,Exc+ $385, VG $315, Good $275, Fair $165, Poor $90. PM me if you need any more info.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Looks like a .32 Hand Ejector Third Model.....Made from 1911-1942. If I had to guess from the serial number, I would date it from the late 20s to early 1930s.

I finally got a chance to look this up in my book. Unfortunately, this particular model as not well defined by serial number to date of manufactured. By the serial number, it is a .32 hand ejector 3rd model. Possibly a model 30 or 31. It was manufactured between 1917 and 1942. Except for the serial number, it is identical to the 1903 fifth change model. The book lists prices as follows: ANIB $700 ,Exc+ $385, VG $315, Good $275, Fair $165, Poor $90. PM me if you need any more info.

Great minds think alike.:thumbsup:

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH

Thank you very much!! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom