• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    Brought the NIB Governor to Freestate today with a few boxes of Nobel Sport Itialia "Law Enforcement" rifled slug 410. I bought a few cases from Guns America at a great price.

Literally 50% misfire rate. Some of the misfires fired after two/three tries. I have some federal 410 that I haven't tried yet. I'm thinking/hoping it's the ammo and not the Governor. Anyone experience 410 misfires from a revolver? Use Nobel LE ammo (I probably should have known the ammo was shit when I saw the "Itialia")? Governor owners?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i would give the other ammo a try. if you have issues with it contact S&W.do you have another .410 to try the slugs in?

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I have a Judge, but I have never had any issues like you are describing. But I have also never shot slugs out of mine. If you look at the grain weights for the slugs, you'll find you might as well shoot 45s instead, the slug isn't doing anything extra and you will have much better accuracy with a 45. You have a rifled barrel - get the benefit of it, as well as the benefit of a jacketed hollow point on impact.

For .410 loads, I like the Federal 000 Buck for handguns. It groups tightly and hits about as hard as .410 can. The Winchester PDX1 is ok, but I found the BBs are basically a gimmick, they fly so wild they are basically worthless at more than about 5-10 feet.

You won't be the first guy or the last guy to buy cheap ammo for a smooth bored, 18" barrel shotgun and be disappointed shooting it out of a handgun with a rifled barrel just a couple of inches long. And that's when it at least goes off reliably.

Get the stuff that was designed to work in .410 handguns, you will be much happier with your results. That is the real secret - these guns are very particular about the ammo they take - they do not perform well with ammo which was never designed to be used in them.

If the Federal also doesn't work, then call S&W.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    I have a Judge, but I have never had any issues like you are describing. But I have also never shot slugs out of mine. If you look at the grain weights for the slugs, you'll find you might as well shoot 45s instead, the slug isn't doing anything extra and you will have much better accuracy with a 45. You have a rifled barrel - get the benefit of it, as well as the benefit of a jacketed hollow point on impact.

For .410 loads, I like the Federal 000 Buck for handguns. It groups tightly and hits about as hard as .410 can. The Winchester PDX1 is ok, but I found the BBs are basically a gimmick, they fly so wild they are basically worthless at more than about 5-10 feet.

You won't be the first guy or the last guy to buy cheap ammo for a smooth bored, 18" barrel shotgun and be disappointed shooting it out of a handgun with a rifled barrel just a couple of inches long. And that's when it at least goes off reliably.

Get the stuff that was designed to work in .410 handguns, you will be much happier with your results. That is the real secret - these guns are very particular about the ammo they take - they do not perform well with ammo which was never designed to be used in them.

If the Federal also doesn't work, then call S&W.

Good feedback, thanks. The slugs are only because that's the only shot Freestate allows on the range (indoor). I want to get the feel of shooting shot because that's all I intend to use her for. The perfect anti-carjacking tool. No aiming required or desired. Will try the Federal and let y'all know how it goes. I'm thinking you're right about her being fickle with the type of 410.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    I have the same gun and shot 3 boxes of the 410 I bought from Freestate and had no problems. I'll be going to AGC for some outdoor with shot instead of slug.
    Let us know what happens... I'd be interested to hear...thanx

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    For what it's worth. It was the ammo. Nobel Sport Itialia "Law Enforcement" rifled slug 410 will not properly fire in my SW. Federal was flawless - 2 hours of shooting and not one misfire.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I've heard from several people, and read from multiple sources, that .410/.45LC revolvers can be very picky about what .410 ammo they will fire reliably. I'd wager it's something to do with the firing pin not depressing the primer on certain brands of .410 far enough to ignite.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    I've heard from several people, and read from multiple sources, that .410/.45LC revolvers can be very picky about what .410 ammo they will fire reliably. I'd wager it's something to do with the firing pin not depressing the primer on certain brands of .410 far enough to ignite.

This I now believe. Sticking with Federal. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom