• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wiseguy813

Jul 11, 2011
    Lexington Park, MD
    Does anyone have any inputs on the model 438 smith airweight? Thinking of picking one up for when we move out of state and she can carry. Thanks for any comments

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WiseOldMan53

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    Frederick MD
    Does anyone have any inputs on the model 438 smith airweight? Thinking of picking one up for when we move out of state and she can carry. Thanks for any comments.

They're nice and live up their name. You can almost forget you're wearing a gun. However, it feels like you're firing bullets out the end of your finger... if you know what I mean.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mine is a 637-2 and I 100% trust my life to her. My brother loves his 642!! Great guns you made a good choice!

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I have a 637 and a 642, very nice shooters. With a boot grip they make nice pocket guns.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    All of the "lightweight"/ "airweight" type pistols are more for carrying and not shooting, if you know what I mean.
    The premise being that you are going to be carrying them more than you are shooting them.
    You shoot them occasionally to keep fresh with them but they are certainly not "range" guns to just go out willy nilly and sling 100 rounds of .357/38+p with the girlfriend to have a fun time.
    They are designed to do one thing...... to be there for you in a pinch.

mds5569

Jan 13, 2010
    Hagerstown
    We all must be on the same wavelength with our purchases....
    I just purchased a 438 last night as well. Bad thing is that I probably wont get to shoot it until July because of the "seven day" wait.

wiseguy813

Jul 11, 2011
    Lexington Park, MD
    We all must be on the same wavelength with our purchases....
    I just purchased a 438 last night as well. Bad thing is that I probably wont get to shoot it until July because of the "seven day" wait.

Likewise here dude. Guess Wifey will learn some patience (not one of her virtues by any means!)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    All of the "lightweight"/ "airweight" type pistols are more for carrying and not shooting, if you know what I mean.
    The premise being that you are going to be carrying them more than you are shooting them.
    You shoot them occasionally to keep fresh with them but they are certainly not "range" guns to just go out willy nilly and sling 100 rounds of .357/38+p with the girlfriend to have a fun time.
    They are designed to do one thing...... to be there for you in a pinch.

I totally agree with this. I own a 637 and feel like I've been hit in the web of the hand with a pool que after a box of .38+P. Not a "fun" little range gun at all but a reliable little "belly gun" if the need arises.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have the old Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight. It's fun to shoot with wadcutters and such, but it was not recommended for +P ammunition, due to alloy frame issues. I'm OK with that; my hand also does not recommend +P.

But a nice carry piece, if you're somewhere where you can carry.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I had a 442. The Airweights are very light. The scandium M&P .357's are even slightly lighter. The recoil from the .38+p is brisk as crap...and the .357s are almost unbearable. Both are difficult to control relative to the next size up.

I wound up selling the 442 after testing available .38+p ammo and seeing how virtually all loadings suffered such energy loss that the JHPs often did not expand in the fashion they would in a 3, 4, and 6 inch barrel. If I did it again and an autoloader like a P239 or P2000SK wasnt a possibility, I would get a 3 inch over a 1 7/8 inch. The energy loss in and of itself isn't a huge issue...it's the loss of control-ability and sub-optimal sight radius that creates the bigger challenge as it means less than optimal shot placement combined with less than optimal ammunition performance combined with less than optimal cartridge capacity.Their conceal-ability is great and the biggest single question is if the conceal capability offsets the other issues, which IMO is a personal call.

For carry, Gold Dot Short Barrel is arguably the best choice for these guns. Many of the +p JHPs from a snub had marginal performance gains over standard pressure counterparts (which also performed poorly) with the exception of the GD, in which the difference in energy and the JHP gives it an advantage and increases the chance of optimal JHP performance. In both .38 and .357 from a snub, the Gold Dot Short Barrel is arguably the best selection. The Galco pocket holster is my personal favorite for these as you can easily shoot through the holster and pocket if you are unable to draw the weapon in a SHTF situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom