• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Well I just have to many things rusting around. (see http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=89420 and I'm expecting a dehumidifier to arrive today...)

I took a look at some Winchester "military" 00 buck I bought a couple of years ago and the hulls are developing small spots of rust. I'm not sure if it's surface or deeper. Some of it looks like it can be scrubbed off but I'd be afraid of setting off the primer in my hand.

Research (I mean google ;) ) suggests that as long as the hull is still in one piece it should generally be okay (for targets at least) because the pressure generated by shotshells is not as hot as pistols and especially rifles.

So what do ya'll think?

Sorry I do not have pics now but I can get some when I get home later.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    As long as it's not bad enough to scratch up the chamber, or stick in the chamber, I wouldn't worry too much. I've shot waterfowl loads with minor rust spots on them with no problem. Just be confident that moisture has not compromised the powder, you don't want to have a load stuck in the barrel.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I have a few boxes of older shells with some rust/corrosion on them that I got from my grandfather a while back that had some rust on them. They seemed to shoot just fine but upon inspection about half of the spent casings had splits in the brass.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    The only thing you really need to worry about is that when "some" shells deteriorate, the tube (case body) can separate from the base and become lodged in the bbl, causing a bbl obstruction and then...... boom.

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks for posting. Hadn't really thought about dehumidifiers for my ammo storage. But now that you bring it up, I'll probably get one of those stay dry boat de-humidiers and keep it with my ammo box. Just to be safe. :thumbsup:

BeStocked

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    As long as it's not bad enough to scratch up the chamber, or stick in the chamber, I wouldn't worry too much. I've shot waterfowl loads with minor rust spots on them with no problem. Just be confident that moisture has not compromised the powder, you don't want to have a load stuck in the barrel.

Never want a load stuck in the barrel (of the gun either)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom