• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I think they had a couple bad batches a couple years back but I haven't heard anything bad about them since then.
    Think about this though...The difference between Wolf primers and Winchester primers is $10.00 or less...That's 1 cent or less per loaded round. There are some things I just don't think are worth skimping on.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I use Winchester primers in everything - I have never had one not go off period. They have been very reliable for me. Even in my inline muzzleloader I use Winchester #209 - and every single one of them have fired off. Ive had no other reason to use anything else. Pop gunner does have a very valid point -the difference in price isnt really huge. Plus Id rather spend my money knowing my dollar is going to a USA produced product.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I use Tula SPP no problems at all less cost than federal keeps my PPR down and that makes me be able to shoot more, more I shoot happier I am.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i've used upwards of 10,000 of their sp primers with great results. Ditto with my first 5k LP primers. I'm sold on them for squirt gun reloading. I can buy them in 5k packages for cheap.

For precision rifle cartridges, I use Federal Gold Medal Match, but that's another story.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think they had a couple bad batches a couple years back but I haven't heard anything bad about them since then.
    Think about this though...The difference between Wolf primers and Winchester primers is $10.00 or less...That's 1 cent or less per loaded round. There are some things I just don't think are worth skimping on.

I run the Wolf SRM primers through my treasured SPR and have not had any issues with them. They are comparable to the CCI milspec primers at 2/3 of the cost and they were available when no one had CCI primers in stock.

Jim

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    I'll tell you what: when a NRA long range High Master rifle shooter says he uses Russian Primers (and by Russian you can include Tula, Wolf, Bear, etc, because they're all made on the same assembly line in the same plant and packaged under different names), I believe him. Most of you are talking as if Russian primers are inferior because they cost less...when in fact they'll deliver a smaller standard deviation and extreme spread than any of the (non-benchrest) others (FGMM, Winchester, etc). Their cups are also 25 thousandths thick, compared to twenty thou on nearly all ATK primers (CCI, Fed, Win)...so if you pierce a Russian primer, you know you've gone WAAAAY too high on pressure. If you want a comparison of primers and their ignition check out German Salazar's Rifleman's Journal...he's a high master at 1000, and an engineer...a dangerous combination when it comes to anal retentive testing for consistency! 99% of the issues with Wolf primers were self-induced...the Russian primers are thick, and need to be CRUSH seated...you'll see the anvil sticks way out, so it needs to bottom out firmly in the primer pocket...most folks stop when the primer is flush or a couple thou under, and the anvil is not fully seated, which results in misfires. I've shot over 10k of Russian primers and have had less than a handful of misfires, all of which fired on second strike (which tells me it was a gun issue, not a primer issue).

10mmnut

Jun 24, 2010
    Just over the PA line
    I don't know about you, but I buy all my clothes, shoes, cars, appliances, electronics rifles, loading components from Russia. lol

btw- Shot 1000 Russian primers from Tula and got 2 misfires during a pin match that cost me the trophy. That settled this discussion for me.

Cowboy T

I had two CCI primers FTF on me, too, but that doesn't make me write off CCI. I'm fairly sure it was the reloader (that'd be me) not fully seating the primer. That's probably the case with most FTF's.

The Russian primers are as good as any of 'em, for less money, and I haven't had one fail on me yet. I'll take 'em. :-)

Note: due to the slightly thicker cup on them (again, similar to CCI's), if you have a featherweight "race trigger" on your gun like some folks have, the primer strike might be a bit light to set it off the first time. If you're a competitor with a race trigger, I'd suggest using Federal primers for their thin cups. Stock triggers should be fine if the reloader has done his part.

TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    I loaded 7k Wolf LPP, no misfires, no problems at all. When I got them, primers were scarce, and when Widener's got them in stock I bought them because there simply weren't American primers anywhere. They worked great. I'd definitely buy Russian primers again.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I had two CCI primers FTF on me, too, but that doesn't make me write off CCI. I'm fairly sure it was the reloader (that'd be me) not fully seating the primer. That's probably the case with most FTF's.

The Russian primers are as good as any of 'em, for less money, and I haven't had one fail on me yet. I'll take 'em. :-)

Note: due to the slightly thicker cup on them (again, similar to CCI's), if you have a featherweight "race trigger" on your gun like some folks have, the primer strike might be a bit light to set it off the first time. If you're a competitor with a race trigger, I'd suggest using Federal primers for their thin cups. Stock triggers should be fine if the reloader has done his part.

Ive never used CCI Primers - but if there anything like there #11 Percussion caps - Id trust them as far as I can spit. We've had nothing but problems with there precussion caps for muzzleloaders - everyone in hunt camp quit using them (in different makes of muzzleloaders) The RWS were far hotter and reliable - and always lit off the powder. I quit using percussion caps and went to 209 - never looked back. Im not saying that all CCI stuff is like that - but left a bad taste in my mouth so reluctant to try using there primers. Winchester primers have been good to me - so I have no reason to change,

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    primers

Have used the Russian pistol primers to load 45 Colt,45 ACP,44 Russian :) 9mm Para and 38 Spl. They worked fine. Yes,you do have to firmly seat the primer. They worked great in the STAR Press. Have had problems in the STAR with CCI primers in the past.Prefer WW primers,but if price is right the TULA or WOLF primers work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom