• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • York

Jun 23, 2012
    Hi all!,
    I currently am 18 years old and I would like to purchase an ar-15 variant rifle to at some point get into competition shooting. I have spoken to the owner of a local gun store who told me that I could buy an m-16 variant but I cannot buy an m-4 variant. Meaning I'm allowed to have, I believe an 18" barrel but not a 16"? I'm looking into building my own ar-15, and I'm really not sure on the specifics on what is legal.
    Thanks!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Under 21 you must legally purchase an HBAR. If you're interested I have a Stag 3G for sale. It's an HBAR and eligible for a face to face purchase although as you're a new member I would prefer it go through an FFL.

York

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks for the reply!
    So I could buy a 16" barrel ar-15 as long as it is HBAR?

B.T.W. I have absolutely no problems with an FFL, if I'm interested.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thanks for the reply!

Yessir. You could buy a 14.5 inch with a pinned and welded flash hider so long as it is HBAR.
    Which usually means that the barrel profile is .750 inch in diameter. All the way through including under the handguards.

Just out of curiosity what type of competition are you planning on shooting.

York

Jun 23, 2012
    Honestly I'm not to informed on what competitions are out there. I've grown up shooting guns and just find it something I enjoy doing. Getting into competitions just seems like something pretty fun to get into.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    IF you do plan on entering certain matches find out what is match legal or not before buying. Certain gun setups are OK for one competition but not another.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for the reply!

B.T.W. I have absolutely no problems with an FFL, if I'm interested.

I bought an HBAR anyway. I have no problems with it. It's just a marketing gimmick that won't hurt you one way or the other, in the long run.

THis link goes to a pretty legendary AR15 buyer's guide. The guy did a lot of work.

http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

Hint: Don't buy anything else, other than a Rock River Arms

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    i got a colt and absolutely love it. only thing i would stress is the importance of the right barrel. I wish mine had a higher twist than my 1/12

York

Jun 23, 2012
    I don't know if this is relevant but I live frederick county, if that adds any restrictions.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Hint: Don't buy anything else, other than a Rock River Arms

Paaalease....

Rock River simply assembles parts... They do a generally decent job, but there are many better companies out there...

Larue Tactical and JP Enterprises to name two.

...they don't have someone else making their receivers.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    You can buy a complete lower and get a really nice upper already assembled and build your own rifle in 30 seconds, in what ever caliber you want. The lower is the registrable part anyway.

I have bought three Armalite lowers for 250 each off Gunbroker in the last year and now have a sweet AR57, AR15 in 6.8 SPC II and the third might just end up as a 300BLK maybe. All of them for less than 900 bucks total for each rifle.

Not knocking RR, but there are much better options out there for the same price. I really like buying the lowers and uppers and just mate them up.

Check out a company called SOTA Arms. They are a smaller start up that have VERY competitive prices on their uppers. They have been around now for a couple of years. I bought my 6.8 upper from them. I had to wait 4-5 weeks for it, but it was well worth it. A 16 Inch, 6.8 SPC Spec II upper with a SS Heavy Barrel that shoots like a dream. I added the upgraded rail for 60 bucks and the whole thing was 509.00 delivered. I put it on the Armalite lower and it fit like a dream. Armalites (In my experience) have one of the best stock triggers on any lower I have ever tried. Crisp and clean breaking.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    You can buy a complete lower and get a really nice upper already assembled and build your own rifle in 30 seconds, in what ever caliber you want. The lower is the registrable part anyway.
    He can't buy a regulated complete lower if he's 18.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Get a Colt 6721 A3 H-Bar. Non-regulated so its cash and carry after instant background check. Never had a problem out of mine.

I have a Colt MT6700 and love it (after I upgraded the trigger). The 6721 may be a good option for me as well as I want a SB upper. I am assuming the 8721 upper will fit on my MT6700 lower (Colt large pin size). I could them sell the lower and have 1 receiver and two uppers.

Vikar

Mar 25, 2011
    If you contact one of the custom comp rifle manufacturers (Loki, Legion, JP if you've got quite a bit of money to burn) you could probably get them to manufacture you an HBAR to order. I think Loki and Legion fluted barrels might count as heavy profile anyway. If that's not an option, getting a Colt or a cheaper RRA or Bushmaster and buying a new BCG and a better stainless (still HBAR profile, though) barrel will give you a nice rifle. You could also get the Stag 3G mentioned earlier.

And all of this only applies to 5.56 ARs. If you get a .308 or dedicated 9mm AR (or a piston AR of any sort) you are completely free from these restrictions.

York

Jun 23, 2012
    Hey guys one more question to throw on to the pile,
    would I have to have a lower that has HBAR stamped on it?
    I thought I read somewhere that I would have to if I wanted to build my own.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Hey guys one more question to throw on to the pile,
    would I have to have a lower that has HBAR stamped on it?
    I thought I read somewhere that I would have to if I wanted to build my own.
    Lowers don't get Hbar stamps. If you're under 21 you can't purchase a lower seperately or build an AR period. You'd have to buy a complete Hbar rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom