• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Radiant is pricier but seems to be lighter and configurable. Not sure I would ever use the short config though. Would I notice a difference in sound suppression with the Radiant? If so, then I would pay the extra money.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I can't speak to the delta in db, but I have a .30 cal Rugged Razor and it's heavy; to the point I wished I would have spent a little more for a lighter can.

Good luck in your search.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think you will appreciate the weight savings and modularity of the Radiant if you can afford it. It appears to meter quieter than the Razor, though it isn't QUITE as durable. I have a Micro 30 that works well for what I do with it, but I am often tempted to buy a Radiant anyway.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Funny thing; the most expensive option always seems to be the better option.
    Ain't that a fact. Most modern cans do what they are supposed to do pretty well. Matching up individual requirements for a can with specific models can be challenging. Figuring out preferred weight, noise reduction, backpressure, caliber, etc etc is kind of daunting. Then some folk have unrealistic expectations, have to deal with factory QC/customer service issues, long wait times, etc.

There is a lot of pressure to get it exactly right the first time, which is hard to do. Especially if someone only wants to buy one or two suppressors. Personally I own a good number, and tend to buy a specific can for one or two firearms. I have a couple modular cans that I can swap around, which gives me a good baseline of what a given firearm will be like when run suppressed. That is helpful to me, but not everyone is going to want to drop the money and wait around just to test the waters.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ain't that a fact. Most modern cans do what they are supposed to do pretty well. Matching up individual requirements for a can with specific models can be challenging. Figuring out preferred weight, noise reduction, backpressure, caliber, etc etc is kind of daunting. Then some folk have unrealistic expectations, have to deal with factory QC/customer service issues, long wait times, etc.

There is a lot of pressure to get it exactly right the first time, which is hard to do. Especially if someone only wants to buy one or two suppressors. Personally I own a good number, and tend to buy a specific can for one or two firearms. I have a couple modular cans that I can swap around, which gives me a good baseline of what a given firearm will be like when run suppressed. That is helpful to me, but not everyone is going to want to drop the money and wait around just to test the waters.

Let me ask sort of an out the blue question; why is the YHM Resonator R2 so inexpensive? I do see that it is a bit bigger and heavier. You don't have a short and long version.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Let me ask sort of an out the blue question; why is the YHM Resonator R2 so inexpensive? I do see that it is a bit bigger and heavier. You don't have a short and long version.
    I think YHM can do that because they are a fairly large company that doesn't depend solely on suppressors and suppressor components to stay afloat. They saw a market niche for a value oriented product line, and the quality of the product they released, their reputation, and influencer buzz helped sell it to the market. The Rex Silentium (sp?) MG line seems to be the only real competition in that segment of the market.

All academic now; just ordered the Radiant.
    I'm jealous! I think you'll be very happy with that product. I love my Micro30.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think YHM can do that because they are a fairly large company that doesn't depend solely on suppressors and suppressor components to stay afloat. They saw a market niche for a value oriented product line, and the quality of the product they released, their reputation, and influencer buzz helped sell it to the market. The Rex Silentium (sp?) MG line seems to be the only real competition in that segment of the market.

I'm jealous! I think you'll be very happy with that product. I love my Micro30.

I like it but I wish I got something quieter.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I like it but I wish I got something quieter.
    Mine is on a 16" .308 AR, which will probably never really be hearing safe. It does a great job of taking the edge off in case one of the black bears that wanders by my house at night gets confused about which side of the door it belongs on. That's pretty far outside of the behavior of a bear typical of my area, but that's the biggest animal around so I am prepared to deal with one if need be. With Norma Oryx 180gr.

I have a couple quieter cans that will work with .308 caliber, with probably the quietest being the Q Thunder Chicken.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Mine is on a 16" .308 AR, which will probably never really be hearing safe. It does a great job of taking the edge off in case one of the black bears that wanders by my house at night gets confused about which side of the door it belongs on. That's pretty far outside of the behavior of a bear typical of my area, but that's the biggest animal around so I am prepared to deal with one if need be. With Norma Oryx 180gr.

I have a couple quieter cans that will work with .308 caliber, with probably the quietest being the Q Thunder Chicken.

I use it on a few things. With subsonics its pretty loud compared to my friends cans. So I also have it delegated for "take the edge off" duty.

I would get the Radiant.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I use it on a few things. With subsonics its pretty loud compared to my friends cans. So I also have it delegated for "take the edge off" duty.

I would get the Radiant.
    What cans did you compare it to?

Radiant all the way. If that had been released before the Micro 30 I might have gotten it instead, though I really like how short the Micro can get.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    What cans did you compare it to?

Radiant all the way. If that had been released before the Micro 30 I might have gotten it instead, though I really like how short the Micro can get.

my friend had a SiCo harvester and we compared with the same setup.

and same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom