• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Took my SR22 to On Target yesterday. Thought I would try it with different types of ammo. No problem until I loaded it with Winchester SuperX HV Hollow Points. After the 5th failure to feed I put that ammo aside and pulled out a box of round nose Aquila Super extra (which fed with no problems.)

Is this a common issue with the SR22 with HP ammo? I looked at the profile of the SuperX hollowpoint, and the bullet is similar in shape to a semi wad cutter. Not being able to shoot hollow points in this gun would seriously limit its utility for me.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    It's only an issue with SuperX.

It's noted on YouTube that SuperX causes lots of problems for the SR22. I have some SuperX but haven't tried it yet in my SR22.

Just don't run it. Mine eats CCI including hollow points, Remington Vipers, and all the bulk pack stuff just fine even the HPs.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    It's noted on YouTube that SuperX causes lots of problems for the SR22. I have some SuperX but haven't tried it yet in my SR22.

QUOTE]

That's encouraging. Any others that don't like to eat SuperX? I will just avoid buying it in the future, but have a couple hundred rounds to shoot up. How does the 10-22 like it?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Mr Sr22 eats nearly everything I have ever fed it. That said, I had some SuperX a year ago and it would not run in any of my .22's. I called Winchester and they sent me a check for $45 per brick and paid for me to ship it back to them.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland

QUOTE]

That's encouraging. Any others that don't like to eat SuperX? I will just avoid buying it in the future, but have a couple hundred rounds to shoot up. How does the 10-22 like it?

My 10/22 eats the SuperX just fine. It's fine to shoot if it will feed properly. The SR22 is known to be very reliable...it just doesn't like SuperX for some reason.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I've fed my SR22 more than 1000 rounds of SuperX HP with no problem. Three or four other brands of ammo too, all without problems.

Also fed a bunch to my 10/22 without any problems.

Note that all my SuperX is pre-panic. Quality may have suffered post-panic?

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Funny seeing this.

Took my girlfriend to the range, first time shooter.

Running Winchester Super X, and it was a nightmare. I assessed the problem that it was essentially short stroking and not feeding the next round.

I need to retest the gun, but I have 1000 rounds through it, and this was the first time I had a problem with it.

LongRanger

Gun Smitty
    Apr 9, 2011
    Take a small round file about 1000 and file the feed ramp at a 5 degree angle only a tiny bit. Continue to do it a little bit until she feeds properly. That is what was done years ago when guns came in to our gunstore and I can not count how many hundreds of thousands hit my bench for repairs from other shops when the feed ramp just needed a little clean up. Its a very common thing and as many guns are sold right out of the box without a smith going over it for a little tune up I see it more and more now. If you could see it in slow motion what you would find is the teeny edge of the casing actually grabs for a milasacond causing it to spin more into the outta wack profile . Usually this happens in new units or over oiled and very very hot units after a long day or reporting and is a very common thing .Do not over do it . Just continue to do it a little at a time until it works perfect then take it down about 4 more sweeps and that is all.If you have concerns and are in the harford county area I would do it no charge , Over 40 years experience and we owned the gun store about 70 years. Considering your at the level you are I thought it best you learn how to clean up feed guides though. Good luck

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    I was firing my buddy's sr22 over the weekend and it had a couple of rounds thunderbolts that fte. Evening racking the slide a few times wouldn't do, I had to manually pull out the round. Any idea on this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was firing my buddy's sr22 over the weekend and it had a couple of rounds thunderbolts that fte. Evening racking the slide a few times wouldn't do, I had to manually pull out the round. Any idea on this?
    Your problem is in bold. Thunderbolts are the devil. I could be completely out of 22lr, and I still wouldn't buy them. They are the dirtiest and most unreliable 22lr I've ever used.

The only 22lr I ever buy anymore is CCI, Federal, Aguila, and Win M22. I've just had terrible experiences with everything else. I understand it's hard to be picky when 22lr is still harder to get than it should be, but I don't have time in my life for ammo that doesn't work correctly.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Your problem is in bold. Thunderbolts are the devil. I could be completely out of 22lr, and I still wouldn't buy them. They are the dirtiest and most unreliable 22lr I've ever used.

The only 22lr I ever buy anymore is CCI, Federal, Aguila, and Win M22. I've just had terrible experiences with everything else. I understand it's hard to be picky when 22lr is still harder to get than it should be, but I don't have time in my life for ammo that doesn't work correctly.

Yup. My SR22 hates Thunderbolts. I reserve them for my Marlin 795 which eats anything.

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville

That's what I figured also.
    Yup. My SR22 hates Thunderbolts. I reserve them for my Marlin 795 which eats anything.
    My 15-22 ate them up and gave no issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    win super x gives fits to many of my 22 semi autos. It did to my dad's SR-22 as well.
    You are not alone. I don't buy the Super X anymore. Win333 or Win555 bulk I'll buy but will still expect some feed issues.
    The problem is the rim shape and the diameter at the base. CCI is the bomb. flat rim that stays flat further out on the rim and consistent Thicknesses.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    I think I read somewhere that this is similar to the walther p22. I had one briefly and it seemed very finicky...it definitely did not like federal bulk, which was the cheapest stuff I had at the time. CCI minimags..no problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom