• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Recently I asked Mark at Accurate Guns and Ammo if the Ruger SR-22 was another regulated weapon in Maryland? I was thinking seriously about getting one to add to several other .22 rifles I already owned.

Knowing the reputation of the Ruger 10/22 is why I had my heart set on this great rifle. When I go to the range with my daughter, has claimed the Ruger as her rifle of choice when we shoot locally.

Mark graciously answered my email quickly and informed me apparently Ruger has declared the SR-22 Unfit for Maryland Sale. (Please see attachment)

That sucks. By doing this Ruger will in my opinion loose quite a few sales within these States mentioned within this letter. I'm left wondering why and how all of the rest of these look alike rifles can be sold here? Like the Umarex Colt, the GSG-5, the S&W M&P 15-22, and so on? But Ruger feels like they can't sell to Marylanders?

Does interpretation of State Law's by these Manufacturers get any more messed up than it already is? I would think Ruger of all people would look to see what other States sell and approve in relation to what they sell and provide to the gun owners around the Country. It would seem if another Manufacturer sells a revolver, pistol or rifle in one State that is almost exactly like what Ruger can't sell, I would think it might be in Ruger's best interest to persue this within that said State? This looks to me like Ruger just gave up all of these sales to the mentioned States and completely rolled over? Do they make that much money they can afford to do this? And the thing that really blows my mind is they say it looks like it's OK to have and buy in of all places California? Is there something I don't see? Because I certainly don't understand (that isn't like it's anything new)

Does anyone else who knows Maryland Law see something here I/we don't? Personally I would have thought there was no problem? In the end it's not a big deal for me personally because I can order one when I go back to Ky. But what about the people who reside 100% in Maryland?:cool:

Attachments

• Ruger SR-22.pdf
      247 KB · Views: 254

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Recently I asked Mark at Accurate Guns and Ammo if the Ruger SR-22 was another regulated weapon in Maryland? I was thinking seriously about getting one to add to several other .22 rifles I already owned.

Knowing the reputation of the Ruger 10/22 is why I had my heart set on this great rifle. When I go to the range with my daughter, has claimed the Ruger as her rifle of choice when we shoot locally.

Mark graciously answered my email quickly and informed me apparently Ruger has declared the SR-22 Unfit for Maryland Sale. (Please see attachment)

That sucks. By doing this Ruger will in my opinion loose quite a few sales within these States mentioned within this letter. I'm left wondering why and how all of the rest of these rifles can be sold here? Like the Umarex Colt, the GSG-5, the S&W M&P 15-22, and so on?

Does interpretation of State Law's by these Manufacturers get any more messed up than it already is? I would think Ruger of all people would look to see what other States sell and approve in relation to what they sell and provide to the gun owners around the Country. It would seem if another Manufacturer sells a revolver, pistol or rifle in one State that is almost exactly like what Ruger can't sell, I would think it might be in Ruger's best interest to persue this within that said State? This looks to me like Ruger just gave up all of these sales to the mentioned States and completely rolled over? Do they make that much money they can afford to do this? And the thing that really blows my mind is they say it looks like it's OK to have and buy in of all places California? Is there something I don't see? Because I certainly don't understand (that isn't like it's anything new)

Does anyone else who knows Maryland Law see something here I/we don't? Personally I would have thought there was no problem? In the end it's not a big deal for me personally because I can order one when I go back to Ky. But what about the people who reside 100% in Maryland?:cool:

That's stupid. Mark DOES have the Umarex, M&P and the AK .22lrs last I checked. What makes a Ruger product any different? He has an SR556 on the rack in .223 but we Marylanders can't be trusted with a SR22 in .22lr? That's just dumb.:sad20:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It's worth remembering that when they introduced the Charger pistol, that was originally not for sale in MD either. I think Ruger just tends to tred carefully here in the DPRM until they know they have the i's dotted and the t's crossed.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    It's worth remembering that when they introduced the Charger pistol, that was originally not for sale in MD either. I think Ruger just tends to tred carefully here in the DPRM until they know they have the i's dotted and the t's crossed.

You do bring up something I am not familiar with, but it does sound like it could make perfect sense? Do you Ruger is the type of Company that does tread lightly and makes absolute sure they can legally proceed in selling these rifles before moving forward?

Even though I have been around guns since childhood, I don't know about how different Manufacturers operate in situations like this. I'm relying on people like you who have been around and have followed these regulations for a while because this letter I surely just didn't understand at all? It's because I don't know I would like to not only learn, but also understand the process behind their thinking if there is such a thing? However I do realise we can't figure something like this out 100% of the time either.

Something that really blew my mind was California of all States is OK because this is a rimfire? Huh? This is the part in this letter I understood the least. Apparently even though California doesn't like the AR style rifles, this one is basically exempt because it's just a rimfire? It's my way of thinking if there is a State that is really hard to please and understand? It's California. I read where one type of AR rifle you can't buy, but then there are others you can? I don't know the difference, and I can't figure out all of their Laws concerning rifles. It was my impression Maryland was less of a hard arse to deal with just as long as you didn't try to sell anything with a mag over 20 rounds, and the buyer filled out all of the Regulated paperwork required by the State.

I guess I'm just dumbfounded. This is why I'm glad I have people like you who try to help me make sense of it all?

Thanks joppaj for your thoughts and info. As wild as it sounds, I would never have thought a Company like Ruger would mosey along to make sure they can legally sell their product in different markets seeing all of their competitors have already done so and have been collecting quite a bit of money in this State. But what you have come up with is about the only thing I've heard of so far that puts it all together and makes it understandable.

But I do have one more question? Does Ruger wait for Maryland's AG to call Ruger Corporate Headquarters to inform them it's OK to proceed with the sale of it SR-22 here?:lol2: I'm being an arse I know. I'm sure the Lawyers check everything out first, and then things proceed. But again I'm just guessing?:D

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    umm i know they areleagal for sale in md because well we have one for sale at the shop ..

Billcw. What shop is that? And have you all already sold any of these rifles yet? And if so......The drum roll please. Was it considered a Regulated rifle the customer filled the paperwork out just to buy it?

Thanks.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    The Charger is a different beast altogether because its a pistol, and thus has to be listen on the handgun roster before it can be legally sold in Marylandistan.

Since the SR-22 only comes with a 10rd magazine, I fail to see why it wouldn't be perfectly legal here. Sounds like someone needs to educate Ruger.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Would you expect anything different from a company whose founder lobbied for the AWB and that for years would not sell Mini-14 mags over 5 rounds to civilians. Not to mention for the price (MSRP $625 :lol2::lol2::lol2:) you could get a rimfire rifle like the M&P 22 that's actually close to an AR in form and function and not a pimp-daddy 10/22.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    The letter states something about "independent federally licensed distributors"

Perhaps they'll sell it to their usual distributors, who then sell to dealers they do business with.

Maybe the intent of the letter is that Ruger will not sell to distibutors in Md, or even directly to dealers in MD, but they apparently will sell to other distributors who choose to do business with Md gun shops.

On Target had to get theirs somehow, right? ;)

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Billcw. What shop is that? And have you all already sold any of these rifles yet? And if so......The drum roll please. Was it considered a Regulated rifle the customer filled the paperwork out just to buy it?

Thanks

I work at OnTarget We have one in stock and I do beleive it requires MS 77 paperwork ..but its there got it in last week .

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    The letter states something about "independent federally licensed distributors"

Perhaps they'll sell it to their usual distributors, who then sell to dealers they do business with.

Maybe the intent of the letter is that Ruger will not sell to distibutors in Md, or even directly to dealers in MD, but they apparently will sell to other distributors who choose to do business with Md gun shops.

On Target had to get theirs somehow, right? ;)

Exactly. I did write Mark at Accurate Guns and Ammo about this very thing. He told me he'd contact me if anything does change regarding his own Distributers willingness to supply the Ruger SR-22 to him? Ruger wrote this letter expressing their concern and how they perceive Maryland Gun Laws, and the other States mentioned in the letter to all of their Distributers. And depending on how each Distributer understands this letter? I imagine is the deciding point for them to either supply these SR-22's to their Customers (Gun Shops) or not. It has nothing to do with The State of Maryland, or shops like Accurate Guns and Ammo. The Distributers tell their buyers (Gun Shops) what rifles, revolvers, and pistols they will provide their Customers. So right now Customers like Accurate Guns and Ammo are completely cut out of the deal as the SR-22 goes. That is until the Main Distributer feels it Ok and within the Law (and how they understand it) to provide it to the Shops they sell to.

I can't speak for anyone except for myself? Plus I am not going to put words into anyone's mouth. Nor do want to create any situation saying what is or isn't legal? Because I don't have a clue what I'd be talking about.

I've delt with Mark and Chandra at Accurate Guns and Ammo and have always been happy with the end result. For me personally I don't want to buy from anyone else. When Marks Distributer feels comfortable providing the SR-22 to Accurate Guns and Ammo? If I still have a hankering (Ky lingo) to buy one? That's when I will buy one. Right now it's not so much as to who has one and is selling them in Maryland. It's a dedication thing for me. Dedication works both ways, and I know from dealing with them before. They feel the same way.;)

Last edited:

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion

Thanks

I work at OnTarget We have one in stock and I do beleive it requires MS 77 paperwork ..but its there got it in last week .

I appreciate you letting us know how and what had to be done to buy one in Maryland. At least this way someone who would like to buy one now has the info they need to do so. Plus they can get it at ON TARGET who has them in stock as we speak. What is this MS 77 Form you were mentioning? You mean there are more papers to fill out on top of the one's everyone already fills out in order to buy a Regulated Rifle?

You should get a raise from your Boss:D. You may have given them a boost in future Ruger SR-22 sales? Let them know a nice 10% on each one sold would be great! Thanks again.

Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    I'm jumping in a little late, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I think the SR22 is a good value if you were planning to buy a Nordic Components AR22 kit with your 10/22 anyway. The package is hefty and solid, which is more than I can say for the S&W and Umarex. The SR22 feels like a single massive piece of aluminum. It's pretty impressive in that regard. And it takes just about any tacticool AR accessory ever made (grip/stock/shroud/rails/etc) without issues. Fitting certain AR parts on the Umarex or S&W require little 'smithing. All the usual 10/22 parts fit too (barrel, sears, hammers, bolts, charging handles, etc).

But it falls short in terms of AR-15 realism. Aside from the distinctive AR bells & whistles on the receiver, even the silhouette looks a little "off" without an AR mag. Adding an extended mag (TI25, Hot Lips, etc.) makes it look worse. Actually, a 50rd drum might look okay...

That said, 2 A Sales & Supplies in Jessup had 1 in stock as of Sunday.

Cited:
    Nordic Components Ruger AR22 Receiver Stock Kit

Colt/Umarex tactical rimfires

S&W M&P15-22 Rifle

2 A Sales & Supplies
    8610 Washington Blvd, #211-B, Jessup, MD
    (240) 456-0060 ‎

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I'm jumping in a little late, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I think the SR22 is a good value if you were planning to buy a Nordic Components AR22 kit with your 10/22 anyway. The package is hefty and solid, which is more than I can say for the S&W and Umarex. The SR22 feels like a single massive piece of aluminum. It's pretty impressive in that regard. And it takes just about any tacticool AR accessory ever made (grip/stock/shroud/rails/etc) without issues. Fitting certain AR parts on the Umarex or S&W require little 'smithing. All the usual 10/22 parts fit too (barrel, sears, hammers, bolts, charging handles, etc).

But it falls short in terms of AR-15 realism. Aside from the distinctive AR bells & whistles on the receiver, even the silhouette looks a little "off" without an AR mag. Adding an extended mag (TI25, Hot Lips, etc.) makes it look worse. Actually, a 50rd drum might look okay...

That said, 2 A Sales & Supplies in Jessup had 1 in stock as of Sunday.

Cited:
    Nordic Components Ruger AR22 Receiver Stock Kit

Colt/Umarex tactical rimfires

S&W M&P15-22 Rifle

2 A Sales & Supplies
    8610 Washington Blvd, #211-B, Jessup, MD
    (240) 456-0060 ‎

Shootist, I do agree the 30 plus round magazines Ruger uses are quite goofy looking to say the least. I already own all of the rifles you show at the bottom of your post. I love the 10/22 Ruger I put together using the Archangel Kit, but the 30 round mag look leaves a lot to be desired for me personally.

The Nordic stuff is just crazy high in price for me. It would be a lot cheaper just flat out buying the SR-22 already built. By the way, yesterday I happened to see a Remington Tactical .22 rifle with the adjustable stock (like the ones used on the AR'S and such) But my question being this was produced by Remington would it fire the .22 ammo without any problems? I know the Colt .22 and the M&P 15-22 don't do well at all using Remington anything.

The stupid thing I did was I forgot the name of this rifle? Plus it's another one on the Regulated list (I don't understand why because it looks like a match grade barrel like that on the Colt H-Bar?) Oh well, I guess if I forgot the name of this one? I didn't need it anyhow;)

Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Shootist, I do agree the 30 plus round magazines Ruger uses are quite goofy looking to say the least. I already own all of the rifles you show at the bottom of your post. I love the 10/22 Ruger I put together using the Archangel Kit, but the 30 round mag look leaves a lot to be desired for me personally.

The Nordic stuff is just crazy high in price for me. It would be a lot cheaper just flat out buying the SR-22 already built. By the way, yesterday I happened to see a Remington Tactical .22 rifle with the adjustable stock (like the ones used on the AR'S and such) But my question being this was produced by Remington would it fire the .22 ammo without any problems? I know the Colt .22 and the M&P 15-22 don't do well at all using Remington anything.

The stupid thing I did was I forgot the name of this rifle? Plus it's another one on the Regulated list (I don't understand why because it looks like a match grade barrel like that on the Colt H-Bar?) Oh well, I guess if I forgot the name of this one? I didn't need it anyhow;)

Looking back at your OP, I seem to have missed the question entirely. lol. I seem to have stopped before I made my point.

I meant to suggest giving the good people at 2 A Sales & Supplies a call. It seems the SR22 can be sold in MD. Perhaps they know something Mark didn't. They may be able to spare you some paperwork. But that's speculation. In the end, I guess I still didn't answer the question. :lol2:

You mentioned that Remington released a tactical .22lr. You got me curious, so I browsed through their site. I believe you're referring to their 597 VTR. It looks like a cross between the H-Bar and the M249. It's handsome in a cold industrial sort of way. Would look pretty intense with some tacticool add-ons. Looks like my .22 arsenal is going to expand yet again.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Looking back at your OP, I seem to have missed the question entirely. lol. I seem to have stopped before I made my point.

I meant to suggest giving the good people at 2 A Sales & Supplies a call. It seems the SR22 can be sold in MD. Perhaps they know something Mark didn't. They may be able to spare you some paperwork. But that's speculation. In the end, I guess I still didn't answer the question. :lol2:

You mentioned that Remington released a tactical .22lr. You got me curious, so I browsed through their site. I believe you're referring to their 597 VTR. It looks like a cross between the H-Bar and the M249. It's handsome in a cold industrial sort of way. Would look pretty intense with some tacticool add-ons. Looks like my .22 arsenal is going to expand yet again.

This Remington 597 is extremely heavy for what it is. I held it as if I were in a shooting position and found the barrel to be the heaviest part of the gun. But it seems a lot better balanced than the Colt H-Bar I checked out when I was in the market for an AR. It does look well made, but I have seen no info from anyone who has tried this rifle out as of yet? One thing I don't care for is the magazine. Yet another 10 round and below type mag set-up.

As Mark goes. It his Supplier who won't provide him with the Ruger SR-22. Mark would have no problem selling them if he could get them. It's just he can't. I don't know the legality involved between a shop owner and his supplier? It must be something because Mark isn't looking for someone else to provide him these rifles, so there must be something we don't know?

The Remington you looked up (597) that is the same one I was talking about. I don't know if it's me or not? Doesn't this Remington look a lot like the Ruger SR-22?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problem I have with the SR-22 is that, at $625, it winds up a little too close in price to a "real" AR-15 chambered in .22LR.

Still, I have no idea why Ruger would do something so stupid as to prohibit their own guns from being sold in MD for no reason at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom