• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilgrim

Any advice on loading the .41 magnum for Ruger NM Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel.
    I need to look at loads for light medium and magnum power. I thinking 2400 or H110. I'm trying not to have way to many powders at the house without shorting the performance. I have been flipping through my books and the net, wanted to hear MDS has to offer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you are showing off your mousefart loads on purpose , you can combine light and medium.

210-220 cast bullet with aprox 7gr of 231. You can go up a cpl of tenths to taste , or finetune accuraccy if needed.

For heavy loads , the .41 has the same parameters as Magnum Revolvers generally.

*For Me* , I have a particular performance niche in mind.similar trajectory to .44Mag , but with enough less recoil to be noticable ( and plenty sufficent power for any usage) .

200-215 bullet( cast or jacketed ) with 4227 to give aprox 95% load density with that particular bullet. You can fine tune slightly up or down for accuraccy , but the default starting load usually gives within my accuraccy parameters , and I declare victory at that point. Usually gives +/- 1200fps. Even a compressed load of 4227 with any semicommon bullet wt will give safe pressures for a BH .

*For Me* , if I want absolute power signifigently above this , I switch to .44 , or .45 BH . But if you feel otherwise , the .41 will respond to 2400, 296 , "Lil'Gun , etc . My #1 shooting/ handloading is a True Believer in .41 , and for many years was his only big bore ( Marlin too) . If you have a specific bullet and powder in mind , I can check with his research.

pilgrim

Unless you are showing off your mousefart loads on purpose , you can combine light and medium.

210-220 cast bullet with aprox 7gr of 231. You can go up a cpl of tenths to taste , or finetune accuraccy if needed.

For heavy loads , the .41 has the same parameters as Magnum Revolvers generally.

*For Me* , I have a particular performance niche in mind.similar trajectory to .44Mag , but with enough less recoil to be noticable ( and plenty sufficent power for any usage) .

200-215 bullet( cast or jacketed ) with 4227 to give aprox 95% load density with that particular bullet. You can fine tune slightly up or down for accuraccy , but the default starting load usually gives within my accuraccy parameters , and I declare victory at that point. Usually gives +/- 1200fps. Even a compressed load of 4227 with any semicommon bullet wt will give safe pressures for a BH .

*For Me* , if I want absolute power significantly above this , I switch to .44 , or .45 BH . But if you feel otherwise , the .41 will respond to 2400, 296 , "Lil'Gun , etc . My #1 shooting/ handloading is a True Believer in .41 , and for many years was his only big bore ( Marlin too) . If you have a specific bullet and powder in mind , I can check with his research.

Sometime I do make itty bitty loads because I can. I most likely get that 2400. I only have 215gr SWC bullets at this time. But a friend wants me to start casting. Not bullet/powder combo in mind yet, Missouri Bullets has a 225gr RNFP if I get a Marlin.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If you're looking to consolidate powders, you certainly have choices. W231 works very well with many cartridges, and .41 mag included. Unique is a favorite of mine in that it is a very versatile powder across a wide range of cartridges. I have always liked Unique for lighter to medium to medium/heavy loads with 215 grain SWC in .41 magnum. I like 2400 for this cartridge as well, with 2400 being a great powder for a wide variety of charge weights and bullet types in the .41, and other magnum cartridges as well.

My "go to" powder is W296 when I want to step up to peak velocities with lower pressure specs than most other powders. I use Hornady's 210 grain XTP almost exclusively in jacketed bullets that are being pushed hard. Be mindful that 296 is definitely NOT a powder you want to use for reduced loads, so it may have less appeal to you given your versatility mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom