• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    To each his own, I guess. I have a newer Mini-Thirty and like it a lot. 100% reliable, built to last, accurate enough, powerful cartridge, good ergos, good sights, good scope mounting system, mini Garand action, and it's a RUGER made in America! Granted it has almost doubled in price and mags are expensive, but I don't regret owning one one bit.

SnakeP, if you wanna try before you buy, gimme a shout.

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    I appreciate the offer 6Den, but I have fired one a couple of times before out west...that's why I'm thinking of picking one up...yes, mags are expensive but they will last forever.

....regarding the Sig 556R...can anyone tell me definitively that it is/is not currently legal in MD? I was under the impression that after Oct 13 it was considered banned I believe because it either had one too many evil features or resembled an AK too much (in appearance that is)...

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Are you determined to have a semi-auto rifle in 7.62 x 39 mm or would you consider an alternative? The CZ 527 is a great gun in that caliber. Accuracy is excellent and the rifle is very well made. I just got one and this is fast becoming my favorite shooter. I also have an SKS for slinging more lead downrange. If you go with the CZ, you will not be disappointed.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Are you determined to have a semi-auto rifle in 7.62 x 39 mm or would you consider an alternative? The CZ 527 is a great gun in that caliber. Accuracy is excellent and the rifle is very well made. I just got one and this is fast becoming my favorite shooter. I also have an SKS for slinging more lead downrange. If you go with the CZ, you will not be disappointed.

Where did you find yours? I've been keeping an eye out for one. Easy to find in 223, less so in 7.62x39. They're priced a bit high, but thinking of getting the CZ 527 and a VZ-2008 if I'm going to invest in the caliber.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    ....regarding the Sig 556R...can anyone tell me definitively that it is/is not currently legal in MD? I was under the impression that after Oct 13 it was considered banned I believe because it either had one too many evil features or resembled an AK too much (in appearance that is)...

There is no way it is an AK47/Avtomat Kalashnikov rifle or a copy, or a Sig 550/551 or copy. If it does not fail the copycat tests (no folding stock and flashhider), you are fine (there are other copycat tests/elements, but that's what is important for the 556R.) So, get one with a brake or no muzzle device and keep the folding stock (or pin stock and keep flashhider) and it is still legal.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Sig 556R is not banned in MD as long as you remove the flash hider (and, if you feel like it, put on a brake or comp). It is NOT a copy of the 550/551, because that entry in the ALG list specifies caliber (.223).

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Where did you find yours? I've been keeping an eye out for one. Easy to find in 223, less so in 7.62x39. They're priced a bit high, but thinking of getting the CZ 527 and a VZ-2008 if I'm going to invest in the caliber.

Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring had one in stock and that's where I got it. They are a dealer and seem to have a good selection of CZ rifles and pistols on hand.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Am thinking of purchasing one...would appreciate anyone's thoughts or experience with this 7.62x39 rifle...tks, s

From what I've read they don't shoot the cheap ammo all that well. I too am interested. I held one for the first time last week at J&G in AZ, they wouldn't sell it to me, a lowly Marylander. http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php accurizes them or even rechambers to a a variety of calibers. Even at that, we aren't talking benchrest accuracy.

Many out of the box bolt actions can do better than the "sub 1.5" accuracy work that doubles the retail cost of the gun. I can't get excited about that kind of cost benefit. I going to wait until I move out of state and get an AK.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring had one in stock and that's where I got it. They are a dealer and seem to have a good selection of CZ rifles and pistols on hand.

Not too far away. I'll give them a call when ready to buy (likely after the VZ). Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom